• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

AMD guy thinking about a E6600!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

liftedcj7on44s

ok guys, i am a pretty big fan of amd but enlight of all the core 2 duo chips that are out now i think i want to switch. The rig is in my sig! Thinking about selling the cpu,mobo and ram and getting a e6600. I am not sure which mobo to get though, i have heard alot about the asus pw5(i think) wifi board but gimme some ideas here! i need a very good overclocking board and very good memory(2gb)any1 got any ideas as to what i can get for the stuff in my sig? cpu,mobo and ram!

Don't do it! Your Opteron 165 is TEN TIMES more powerful than an E6600!

Oh... my mistake. I thought we were over on the AMD forums... Yeah go for it. You'll be very happy. :beer:

Hell yeah guy go for it thats what I am doing.

I gave up my Fx-60 to go conroe and the E6600 should be close to 2x as fast

as your 165 Opty.

Sorry to say it AMD but its true.

My friends E6600 beat the crap out of my Fx-60 by 25-50% in every benchy

we could throw at them.

Needless to say I was getting pretty ****ed off about the whole being

showed up specialy when I just spent $1000+ to upgrade to my Fx-60 ,

A8n32 mobo and High End Air cooling.

Then comes along my friend here and smashes me to peices with a $500.00

Setup.

E6600 and the P5N32-sli mobo.

Something is wrong here if he is spending half as much as me and getting

that kind of performance.

Not to mention I had my system overclocked 3.2ghz 13x250FSB and he was

running stock settings on his setup.

I cant wait to see what conroe is like overclocked.

Don't switch to Intel! Remember AMD rocks, right??? Be loyal to AMD, they are miles better than boring Intel processors!

Of course Core2Duos are much much faster than anything AMD has OR will have for the next 6-12 months, BUT don't let that fool you! AMD processors are way, way better!!!!!

Besides speed isn't everything. Sometimes it is nice to take things slow and easy...

ive been a loyal AMD supporter since my very 1st computer but i upgraded to an E6300 2 days ago and this thing is nuts, everything is faster than ever and i mean everything. as for ram i got G.Skill 800mhz with the green heatspreaders and its damn good bang for buck i think. its rated at 5-5-5-15 timings but its running 4-4-4-10 at 900mhz on 2.0v and can pull 1150mhz on 2.1v and 5-5-5-15 timings.

go for the E6600 you wont regret it.

Nasgul said:
The P5W-DH Deluxe will suit you better, it's easier to overclock than the P5B Deluxe. So that's my suggestion.

RAM, the best for the money is the G.Skill DDR2 800 HZ, wich can do over 1000mhz with pretty much the same latencies and 2.2v. BTW, I switched from Corsair to G.Skill.

What you can get for your hardware? Not much anymore I think, around here at least, try eBay and see how much they're going for.

What he said.... Asus P5W DH and G.Skill DDR2 800 HZ.... i have that exact setup with my E6600... kicks some major a$$

heres the mobo - http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16813131025

And ram - http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16820231065

WOW that ram has gone up in price same with the mobo... i got my mobo for 244 and ram for 230!

(and may i recommend this cooler the ULTRA 120 - http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16835109125) althought your xp-120 will do a decent job.

Last edited:
It depends on what your gonna use it for,I recently discovered that for online fps games,the onboard mem controller of the amd and lower latencies seem to be faster then my 6600.

why is they p5w easier to oc than the p5b?

I was planning on selling my opty 165/dfi ultra d/ocz 2gb pc4000 combo for

p5b deluxe wifi
e6600
ballistix 2gb ddr2 800

Don't do it! Your Opteron 165 is TEN TIMES more powerful than an E6600!
Lol Intel fanboy:bang head AMD is a Hundered better at least :) Well ok in same boat going conroe 2.:)
965 chipset (p5b) (seems to be getting better results around forums, decent comparison of conroe chipsets here Core 2 chipsets compared

luck:)

i have heard that the P5W is better for "conroes" and P5B is better for allendales..... pluss people are getting better scores clock per clock on the 975 chipset because the actual chipset has tighter timmings.

^^^that doesnt sound right. why would the cache make any difference what so ever?

i thinkyoure saying for allendales becuase the p5b deluxe can get 500+fsb, and thats what the allendales need with their low multis.

Leica said:
Don't switch to Intel! Remember AMD rocks, right??? Be loyal to AMD, they are miles better than boring Intel processors!

Of course Core2Duos are much much faster than anything AMD has OR will have for the next 6-12 months, BUT don't let that fool you! AMD processors are way, way better!!!!!

Besides speed isn't everything. Sometimes it is nice to take things slow and easy...
LLOOOLLL!!!! HHAA :beer:

NOOOO, DONT SWITCH TO THE DARK SIDE! you must stay loyal to DAaMit! Its the fastest thing out! ignore the lies about the core2duo, I mean....if its too good to be true, it probably is...:bang head

thank you guys for all your help. as far as the xp-120 goes! its trash i hate the darn thing its a PITA to mount and unmount. So when i get a conroe setup its gonna be liquified. Also thanks for the links too.

liftedcj7on44s said:
thank you guys for all your help. as far as the xp-120 goes! its trash i hate the darn thing its a PITA to mount and unmount. So when i get a conroe setup its gonna be liquified. Also thanks for the links too.

Mounting a waterblock is SO much easier. You screw it down, or clamp it on and it take a SECOND. I remember the difference with my Athlong chip... it was night and day. The difference is even MORE pronounced on 775.

I am fighting the urge to do the same, I just really don't need the upgrade so...I am trying to hold out till q1 07 to see what that brings.

I am fighting the urge to do the same, I just really don't need the upgrade so...I am trying to hold out till q1 07 to see what that brings
Hehe;) Exactly am upgrading gfx dept., atm will go conroe end of q1 07. It is though no longer an urge, a definate will do, see how the mobos , chipsets & especially memaory modules pan out..

Hey hey I am a proud owner of a E6700 :) so I say go now and grab one and

you can join me.

I just need to find a really good 32-Sli board and I will be set.

Let us know what you decide to get.

A-Rapture said:
Needless to say I was getting pretty ****ed off about the whole being

showed up specialy when I just spent $1000+ to upgrade to my Fx-60 ,

god knows why you would bother upgrading to a fx-60 anyway, way too over priced. they don't overclock any better either.

But yeah, it think i might be in the same boat as liftedcj7on44s. an e6600 or 6400 sounds nice to me. the only problem is i would be upgrading the graphics card as well. i think ill hold off for now. wait till the quads come out and get a nice cheap duel.

Yeah I very much agree with you to on that Fx-60 is way over priced.

I cant wait to get my E6700 I have been reading reviews like crazy ever

since I bought that thing earlier today.

Well I wanted to beat my friends E6600 rig and now I got a E6700 I can

throw in his face HAHAHAHA:bday:

I am going to have so much multi tasking and gaming fun its not funny.

Nasgul said:
The P5W-DH Deluxe will suit you better, it's easier to overclock than the P5B Deluxe. So that's my suggestion.

The P5W-DH isn't even the best 975X moterbord to invest in even if your going crossfire anymore, I've seen no reports about it being easier to overclock at all, and the P5B-Deluxe can run higher FSB.

I would not suggest the P5W-DH at this point at all personaly.

Back