• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

AMD II x6 1090T need Advice

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Steelfire

Registered
So I am sure questions like this are asked millions of times so ill try not to waste to much time

Right now I am running AMD Overdrive Performance Control tests
CoolIt Eco Web link provided below.
(http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835227006)

- 225 MHz
- 1.375 V
- 17 x (AKA 3.825Gz)
- At load 10 min = 48 seems to have stabilized at this temp
- Seems stable at this thus far.

I know 60 is max load temp so for longevity of CPU life I want to keep under 55 or so where do I go from here.

and I'm not 100% with how to play with voltage to make system stable. how to tell when I'm becoming unstable or to up freq or multiplier?

Where to gofrom here..... If you havnt already read it you should take a close look and read of this thread ......http://www.overclockers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=596023

Everything you need to know about Overclocking you PII procesor. Give it a read and if you still have some questions come on back and ask there are a lot of good people here that can help.

Welcome to OC Forums!

Please download and install these three programs which you will need for monitoring temps, voltages and frequencies and for stress testing to check stability: CPU-z, HWMonitor, Prime95. These are standard tools around here.

Also, if you could take digital camera pics of the overclocking sections of your bios (those where you change frequencies and voltages) and attach them to your posts it would greatly expedite the process of us helping you.

How to attach images to a post:

To attach a pic with a post, first crop and save the pic to disc. Snipping Tool in Windows Accessories is great for this. Then click on Go Advanced at the bottom of any new post window. When the advanced post window appears, click on the little paperclip tool at the top. This will load the file browser/up-link tool and the rest will be obvious.

I know ppl will yell at me for using a windows app for OC but the below pic are my current settings.

I'm using AMD overdrive to stress test Currently at 47 degrees

question though to get to 4Ghz how much should i step up my voltage?
up by .005 till stable or skip to 1.4 and step down?

image.jpg
[/url][/IMG]

Steelfire, AMDOD is a buggy, unreliable piece of software and no one around here takes it seriously as an overclocking tool. I'm afraid you won't get much help if you are determined to use that tool. If you are serious about wanting to learn to overclock manually from the bios then there will be lots of help available to help you learn the ropes.

ty What about TurboV EVO its a bios tool from MOBO drivers seems to work so far just trying to figure out how much to up the voltage to get to 4GHz?

So far I've gotten to 3.8 with this tool without a voltage increase.

Edit
DL those tools now BTW

Software or even bios overclocking "genies" seldom give a good high overclock that is also stable and balanced. They just don't manipulate enough variables to do it right. One of the common tricks those genies use is to severely underclock the memory in order to get a good overclock on the CPU. It looks good at first glance but under performs because the memory performance is being sacrificed.

OK now that I have the right tools I see the difference. The ASUS EVO seems to have manipulated the CPU frequency and Multiplier alright but CPU-Z is giving me a different Voltage It oscillates between 3.392V and 1.404V at load. Now I'm confused a bit where in my BIOS is the CPU Voltage lol. Screen Shots Below.

EDIT:
Alright I found a video that shows that i have to take it off offset mode. Should I be changing my DRAM? Looks like the EZ tuning has pushed it way down I see other ppl at 1600mz...

Attachments

• CPU-Z.jpg
    CPU-Z.jpg
    60.3 KB · Views: 71
  • RAM.jpg
    RAM.jpg
    47.8 KB · Views: 73
  • 019.jpg
    019.jpg
    253.9 KB · Views: 65
  • 020.jpg
    020.jpg
    226.4 KB · Views: 65
  • 021.jpg
    021.jpg
    144 KB · Views: 66
Last edited:
On the second screen where it says CPU&NB voltage mode. It is on offset switch to manual. For the ram settings we need to see shots of the memory tab and SPD tab

Those bios pics are so small I can't read the values. You also need to realize that CPU-z reports memory frequency at half of what you would expect because it's not reporting the DDR3 frequency it's reporting the memory bus frequency. So your memory is currently running at 903 mhz. As Johan45 said, we need a pic of the SPD tab of CPU-z because it gives the memory manufacturer's recommendations for the timings and voltages of your RAM at various frequencies.

Sorry for being noob here is the SPD tab

EDIT:
Bios Pictures
Fixed Above

Attachments

• SPD.jpg
    SPD.jpg
    52 KB · Views: 65
Last edited:
OK I would use the XMP profile at 1.6v so in your BIOS on screen 2 change the DRAM volts from 1.5 to 1.6 then iin the first screen open DRAM configuration and set the values accordingly.
I understand that you can follw the link to see your pics but what Trents is asking for and what we prefer here is that you atttach things directly to your post. It makes things easier for us and in time those links will not work any more and sometimes people can't get them to open.

Yes, what we're asking for is that you make it as easy as possible for those helping you to help you and images directly attached to your posts is doing that.

And I think you can see by now what I was trying to point out last night about overclocking genies severely down-clocking memory (post#7) as you see what EZ Tune did.

We have over a long time as a community developed ways of helping people learn to overclock that work well for everybody concerned.

Thank you very much for all your help and I am sorry still just trying to get the hang of this. I believe my memory is already O/C for some reason if you look at Post 8 CPU-Z posts 6/6/6/18/20 1T Is this not better then 7/8/7/24/34 2T?

Edit:
I was led to believe low numbers are better?

You are correct in your thinking Steelfire
But as this point in the game we'll want the memory set to a profile to help rule out instability as we OC your CPU. The less variables in the equation the better. :thup:
After the CPU is done then you can OC your ram if you like and you'll know your CPU is stable so it must be your new ram settings causing the problems.

Thank you very much for all your help and I am sorry still just trying to get the hang of this. I believe my memory is already O/C for some reason if you look at Post 8 CPU-Z posts 6/6/6/18/20 1T Is this not better then 7/8/7/24/34 2T?

Edit:
I was led to believe low numbers are better?

Overclocked as far as the timings go but not as far as frequency goes. Usually, higher frequency/more relaxed timings gives better performance than lower frequency/tighter timings but it can be application dependent to some degree.

Your memory is running at 900Mhz instad of 1600

Johan45, I tried to explain that to him back in post #10 but I'm not sure it registered. Looks like to me OP is banking way too much on those tight timings.

Back