• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

AMD is slipping. A cost and benefit conversation.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Upon further research, I've found that there is a market segment where AMD is ahead.

In the $100-170 price segment AMD is in fact ahead for Price:performance and overall Performance.

The AMD AM3+ FX-6300, FX-6350, FX-8320E, FX-8320, and FX-8350 have more performance overall for applications using more than four threads compared to Intel's LGA1150 i3 line (including 4130, 4130T, 4150, 4160, 4330, 4340, 4360, and 4370).

The AMD A10 7700K and 7850K APU's come really close performance-wise to most of the i3 CPU's (and perform better in some benchmarks), but they don't really exceed the performance of any of the LGA1150 i3's overall.

Last edited:
Upon further research, I've found that there is a market segment where AMD is ahead.

The AMD AM3+ FX-6300, FX-6350, FX-8320E, FX-8320, and FX-8350 have more performance overall for applications using more than four threads compared to Intel's LGA1150 i3 line (including 4130, 4130T, 4150, 4160, 4330, 4340, 4360, and 4370).

I suppose if I only needeed i3 performance levels...then AMD might compete. That is funny as all get out. Hehehe. No kidding now I really did get a laugh out of i3 Vs FX.

RGone...

I think it is fair to say that Bulldozer was AMD's Netburst. The designers went with a radical new approach and hoped that software would take advantage of it. Well unfortunately it's 2015 and software still doesn't. With Intel they had the resources to aggressively market and research new chips, but AMD doesn't seem to have the money. They didn't even release a Steamroller chip for am3+. Now there is hope for their new Carrizo apus, which use the Excavator microachitecture, but that it still limited to 4 cores.

One of the unfortunate consequences of never releasing steamroller on am3+ is the lack of pcie 3.0 on am3+ motherboards. ̶I̶ ̶h̶a̶v̶e̶ ̶h̶a̶d̶ ̶p̶c̶i̶e̶ ̶3̶.̶0̶ ̶s̶i̶n̶c̶e̶ ̶S̶a̶n̶d̶y̶ ̶B̶r̶i̶d̶g̶e̶,̶ ̶b̶a̶c̶k̶ ̶i̶n̶ ̶2̶0̶1̶1̶ ̶I̶ ̶t̶h̶i̶n̶k̶.̶

Last edited:
If a lack of pcie3 was the worst of it, they would be good shape... that's a non issue for most. Still unfortunate.

I have had pcie 3.0 since Sandy Bridge, back in 2011 I think.

You were the only one if that's true. PCIE 3.0 came out with Ivybridge in 2012 and made its way to the enthusiast socket via IB-E.
SB-E which came out in (Q4 2011??) also didn't have PCIE 3.0.

I'm running Sandybridge and I definitely do not have PCIE 3.0.

You were the only one if that's true. PCIE 3.0 came out with Ivybridge in 2012 and made its way to the enthusiast socket via IB-E.
SB-E which came out in (Q4 2011??) also didn't have PCIE 3.0.

I'm running Sandybridge and I definitely do not have PCIE 3.0.

Ah you're right sorry. It's been so long now since I built that system, it's hard to remember.

I suppose if I only needeed i3 performance levels...then AMD might compete. That is funny as all get out. Hehehe. No kidding now I really did get a laugh out of i3 Vs FX.

RGone...

Well, it's not that I wanted to compare the i3 to FX (though I was curious), it's simply that the Core i3 line is all that Intel offers in the $100-170 price bracket for CPU's.

Really the performance of the FX six cores is quite a bit better than similarly-priced Intel's, between 25-50% improvements from what I was seeing in the benchmarks of the comparisons I looked at (the one's that ran more than one thread anyway).

So, AMD is still the leader in the low-price market, for those on tighter budgets.

I think it is fair to say that Bulldozer was AMD's Netburst. The designers went with a radical new approach and hoped that software would take advantage of it. Well unfortunately it's 2015 and software still doesn't. With Intel they had the resources to aggressively market and research new chips, but AMD doesn't seem to have the money. They didn't even release a Steamroller chip for am3+. Now there is hope for their new Carrizo apus, which use the Excavator microachitecture, but that it still limited to 4 cores.

Regrettably, I have to agree. Bulldozer was so hyped up in the lead-up to it's release. And then oh so disappointing in its delivery. Basically fell flat on its face.

Outperformed by Phenom II X6 Thuban's most of the time. And then Piledriver was not much better.

I think they should have a re-think and redesign something better rather than trying to continue forward with the flawed Bulldozer-based architecture. (Which seems to be what they're doing from what little I've heard of what they're working on for 2016.)

Last edited:
I think there was new chips and architecture coming out 2015-2016 from AMD, but I haven't heard anything in a long time. If I recall correctly, the modules and bulldozer type arch is gone. I think it is still a long ways off.

I can't remember what website it was, but from what I saw zen is releasing next year, and it supposedly has SMT style multithreading. Similiar to intel's hyper threading. Which means it would be going away from the Bulldozer style.

Old thread...

Seems like it was a bios thing as well?

Maybe an Asrock BIOS thing, I never saw any BIOS updates that
specifically addressed this issue, although somewhere in the motherboard
manual they had a blurb stating PCIe 3.0 mode wasn't guaranteed to work
depending on the CPU installed.

Yeah unfortunately for magellan its just his asrock board that doesnt support it on SBE i even double checked their bios list incase they retroactively changed it but didnt update the board page, no luck. Some boards just got it.

Back