• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

FRONTPAGE AMD Launches R9 290 Series Graphics Cards

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Some really nice results there Janus67 !

Although I must admit I was expecting significantly more folding PPD...

My 7950 @ 1,050MHz pulls in a stead 85k at the moment.
A while back I read that the 7970GHz should pull in 110K PPD.

Unless the PPD have dropped for a 7970GHz since I checked near the start of core 17, these R9-290X cards should be doing a Lot better than 110K PPD

Your thoughts ? What was your 7970 Lightning getting before you swapped it out?

I am seeing good things on the non-X version - beating the 780 in FireStrike by 9% :)
(looses in 3Dmark 11 by 3%)

Could be where I am heading if lucky, else is a 7970 upgrade for me.

Depends on the benchmark of game... Tom's selection of games had the R9-290X beat the Titan on average by 6.12% while at 1920x1080

At 2560x1440 the Titan was beaten on average by 10.5%

To be honest, if you Really want the Best performance then you need to look at what games you want to be playing and whether the difference actually matters... for example there is no point choosing the Titan because it gets 126.7fps over the 290X's 108.8 in WOW @ 1080 while you also see the 290X get 68.6 in Tomb Raider @ 1080 Vs the Titans 59.4fps...
There is no reason using such a insane card for WoW... there is no need for more than 100 FPS. So what truly matters is how well a card can handle the truly demanding games, not the "100 FPS hitter". Games such as WoW at 1080P can be run fine with a 7870, more than that is just waste of bucks.

Yes, generally as higher the resolution as higher the "pwnage" toward the Titan. 290X is a high res card, no question, but its impressive enough that it can challenge the Titan even at 1080P.

Surely i would love a 290X for Skyrim, because when all Mods enabled, Skyrim is hitting my 7870 like a truck, and is using close to 2 GB VRAM (even at 1080P, 2+4K res textures and countless other stuff may benefit from more than 2 GB VRAM). A card stronger than that can have great benefit for the most demanding Skyrim mods. However, i have no need for hurry... but definitely a more powerful card sometimes is useful to me. However, in order to use a 290X, i will need a mid tower case with super cooling and a aftermarket cooler too, else im sure that the card will overheat. I may just wait for next year and check out what Nvidia have to offer... cooling is always difficult to handle when games are hitting the cards in a abnormal level.

Last edited:
Exactly Ivy :)

From reading around new R9-290X owners on several forums, they seem to really like the card. They are more often than not reporting that it runs cooler than they expected and it is also not as noisy as they though it would be - even at 50% fan speed! (I still think that would be too noisy for my own taste though)

I am hearing Very Nice things about the R9-290 and getting tempted to try to find the money for one of those some time next year when I hopefully have a little more £ to play with.

An OC.uk forum member, primouf, was accidentally send an R9-290 the other day. Shame he made such limited benchmarks, but this is still something :

http://videocardz.com/47479/someone-got-radeon-r9-290-mistake

I was looking around for 290 (non-x) info and found this little article showing some performance stats by a guy who received one by accident from what it says. I'm assuming it is not a fake but you never know these days so take it for what you wish. Not too bad looking if it's real though.

Linky

That is real, I followed it through in the OC.uk forums.

the Straight R9-290 is looking to be a Pretty Nice card, might even go there myself once the custom coolers start appearing :)

That is real, I followed it through in the OC.uk forums.

the Straight R9-290 is looking to be a Pretty Nice card, might even go there myself once the custom coolers start appearing :)
Assuming they go in stock Tuesday as everyone seems to say I'll be picking one up then. :thup:

just wondering, which would be a better buy? HD7950 or R9 270X? THey're roughly the same price at the local store here.

The R9 270X is, for all intents and purposes, identical to the Radeon HD 7870 GHz Edition

7950 should slaughter it .. its actually kind of sad they removed the 7950 from their line up and put a 7870 re-brand in its place for the same price as the 7950 seems like a underhanded move to me really.

Yes I looked at a couple R9 280X's as well, $319 for an MSI one is tempting, the Asus one showed sold out at my local store. Decisions decisions, the Playstation 4 was on my list but I think I'm taking it off since Gran Torismo 6 won't be on that platform and there's no DLNA and no real HTPC capacity either, also an i7 3770K CPU on my list... just thinking of stuff to spend ~$300 on after Christmas.

Well, the GFLOP/W for a 7870 is impressive, its probably the design with highest efficiency amongst the entire GCN (gamer) series. So thats why AMD seems to charge extra bucks for. In my mind 7870 is the most balanced card (taking into account all the possible factors of value), but it was always a pricy card, thats true.

Of course, most people only check out its performance, thats it, but thats not the only factor making a card valuable.

Back