• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

AMD outsold Intel

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
i dont really care i know who makes the better chip and thats... AMD through and through!

Here is a list of things that NEED to happen: -
1. PCWorld, Dell, Commet and all the other computer manufacturers need to start using more AMD chips there cheaper and better

2. AMD needs more airtime on the TV (i know they dont need it but surely there advert would be better than the p4 and the intel crappy jingle!

3. I need to get off my arse and to uni as im already and hour and twenty minutes behnd schedule! But first i'll go the bank got a bank transffer to do followed by anther one to paypal for some memory i just brough off this site :D

Good for AMD, but theres a first time for everything. AMD is a lot better for budget and low end systems, and people are finally figuring it out. I wonder how many people really chose the computer for AMD, or rather picked out the cheapest one in their range that meet their needs. Still a good sign, AMD needs the business anyways ;)

Im not against AMD or anything, they are just involved in my conspiracy about Texas.

^He's right, people didn't actually chose the computer for AMD, they bought it because it was cheap or recommended. I like seeing the underdogs do good though. AMD isn't just good at the low end though. The X2's and the FX's are great too. I do think it is funny that AMD pulled this off without all the advertising from Dell and other comercials. Better stuff isn't always more popular.

That's true. The only time someone will buy a pre-built comp simply because it's AMD is if it's a laptop (since it's next to impossible to make one on your own). For desktops, you're either going to make your own comp (as almost all of us here do) or buy an Intel comp just b/c they advertise more and sell more to OEMs. I have yet to see a single AMD ad on TV, but I see that ugly Intel logo all the time on my screen. A better logo for them would be one that says "Evil Inside". Right, but anyway, since about 95% of people who buy pre-built computers only know Intel, they're going to buy from Intel.

Good news for everyone (even intel fan boys). Why? With AMD on the upswing it will only drive competition and lower prices.

Brand loyalty is incredibly stupid IMHO, I jump ship faster than a rat...lets see, had a 700hz Tbird....1700+, 1.6 p4, XP2500+, dual 1.6 xeons, and now back to a 3000+...hehe why? changing needs, awesome OC'ers and price/performance. I'm still waiting for the mailman to deliver me a fanboy prize from intel or AMD...and until that time I'm gonna buy whoevers has the best product for me!

Soichiro said:
....or buy an Intel comp just b/c they advertise more and sell more to OEMs. I have yet to see a single AMD ad on TV, but I see that ugly Intel logo all the time on my screen.
When the Palamino core was fresh on the market there was one company that ran a lot of commercials advertizing their new line of computers with the "AMD Athlon XP, designed to compliment and maximize use of Windows XP" (or something along those lines at least, I may not have the tag line exact) and those commercials where everywhere in my television region back then.

Nice... I can't wait to build my first athlon soon, intel will always hold a place in my heart... but a man with a tight budget, and a need for speed... needs the athlon...

Hmmm... yeah, intel aint goin anywere though...

JDrake90

Well, in This article, Intel missed their earning expectations in the third quater.

AMD is up, and Intel is slowing down.

LordDarik said:
I think HP sells AMD computers.
Yes. My HP laptop has an AMD Athlon 64 in it. I have seen a number of HP and Compaq desktops with AMD also.

What made me mad was an HP ad on TV for their laptops recently that only mentioned "Intel Inside". Are they too embarrassed to even mention that you can get some models with an AMD processor.

i heard from the big paul o. today, the reasoning is because of the chipset shortage for desktop boards, which is happening currently. also this is for the channel groups ONLY. and only for the month of september. which is a small area for intel. 975x will be ready and fully stocked, so hopefully the competition will be back on the channel group front.

i heard from the big paul o. today, the reasoning is because of the chipset shortage for desktop boards, which is happening currently. also this is for the channel groups ONLY....not the big oem territory, the white box channel territory...while it is small, it still is important though. and only for the month of september. 975x will be ready and fully stocked, so hopefully the competition will be back on the channel group front. and yup, it happend to be hp that helped that out, and to push for amd as some of the shortages were noticed by intel.

Randyman... said:
Yup - Retail only - Not including Dell and HP PC sales (like rseven said). My friend has an ancient HP that has an AMD in it from the factory (like a 500MHz with 16MB of RAM or something). I thought that was odd. What vendors do use AMD anyway? Just curious...

Good for AMD! Maybe Intel's prices will come down now? :)

compaq uses amd's still.

i hope this news increases competition and pricing. even though amd's and supporting hardware like mobo's are less expensive than intel's and supporting hardware. maybe intel will start dropping prices?

Last edited:
Benvanz said:
Its about time! Now we just gotta get dell to switch :rolleyes:

Dell is stupid, I doubt they will change. Seriously, if they would put a AMD in their XPS system I would probably buy one right away.

I like Dell's, I have owned a few in the past, not bad for a prebuilt pc, but them not using AMD's is one of the dumbest moves ever...give people more options makes for better sells.

The title of this thread says:

AMD outsold Intel

But, the facts are AMD has a mere 18% CPU market share compared to Intel's 82%. Hmmm, I think there are a few people that need to take a remedial math class.

batboy said:
The title of this thread says:

AMD outsold Intel

But, the facts are AMD has a mere 18% CPU market share compared to Intel's 82%. Hmmm, I think there are a few people that need to take a remedial math class.
I think we are well aware of that, but when the company with 18% of the market outsells it's huge rival in a particular market for a month it is newsworthy. I would bet that Toyota did this kind of thing 30 years ago and some exec at GM said it was no big deal. Sometimes one small tremor can cause one large avalanche.

EXCELENT! Bought time the underdog got somewhere! :) I love AMD and am glad they are finally getting somewhere. More money = more competition because AMD will have more for R&D. :) *is one happy panda*

JT

Back