• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

AMD Phenom II X4 940 ordered with 24inch samsung lcd

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

chinese_lover

Registered
ok went ahead and upgraded and order my new cpu and lcd from newegg,
right now im on a amd x2 3800 ive had since 2006,
here is my upgrade,
OCZ Reaper HPC 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 1066 (PC2 8500),
AMD Phenom II X4 940 Deneb 3.0GHz,
Seagate Barracuda 7200.10 ST3250410AS 250GB 7200 RPM SATA,
GIGABYTE GA-MA78G-DS3HP AM2+/AM2 AMD 780G HDMI ATX AMD,
SAMSUNG 2433BW High Glossy Black 24" 5ms Widescreen LCD Monitor,
total cost was $751.35 shipped,
over all not bad price,
Thanks,

The difference is having full XFire or not with the 780 vs 790. It will sill oc well but there is one thing to consider. The VRM does not have the heat sinks of the heavier boards. It does have enough MOSFETS to deliver but without the sinks the northwest corner of that board will get HOT. Adding sinks will void the warranty so I recommend putting a fan blowing at the area to carry off the heat. A 60-80mm fan will keep it in the 60s or low 70s. Without overclocking a slow 40-60mm fan will keep it cool. Back in the day, it was this heat that use to kill the caps which is why they all have 107C caps. Not to scare CL but its better to know what to expect and prepare for it. I think the board is a great board, I'm using 740G ECS boards to run the old 9500 from last year a little above stock (50mhz) but I put copper micro sinks and a 90mm fan on the whole board to keep it real cool.

i have to agree skip this board. i have it and its ok but i would go with a higher end board with that chip. if you do it , do it right the first time

i dont plan on oc,
hope it runs good and i was on a budget upgrade,
i just do alot of 3d and photoshop work,
some gaming as well,
Thanks,

i dont plan on oc,
hope it runs good and i was on a budget upgrade,
i just do alot of 3d and photoshop work,
some gaming as well,
Thanks,

Just overclock when you game! Use AMD AOD.

Since you are not going to overclock, can I tempt you to go with ECC memory. After all, no self respecting artist would let an memory error to correct a single pixel and ruin the entire photo. Rendering job could last for days too! I overclock and I use ECC. If you want ECC, get ASUS motherboard. They are the only one that support ECC consistently. Gigabyte support them every once in a while. Everybody else does not report supporting ECC. I just do not understand it considering that AMD gives the bios code for that feature.

Back