• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

AMD Phenom II x4 965 BE - stuck at 3,60GHz

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

balyn

Registered
Hello there.

So I've been trying to overclock my CPU but I'm completely stuck at 3,60GHz.
I probably could run the multiplier at 18,5(around 3700GHz) but I'd like to get up to 3,80 at least.

The main problem is that I'm crashing at 3,8GHz with different Bluescreen errors. The latest one, with Bus speed at 202 and multiplier at 19 was "0x0A" which according to a guide sandy/ivy-bridge overclocking was "unstable RAM/IMC, raise QPI first, and if this doesn't work, raise Vcore"

The problem I have here though is;
1: I don't know what QPI are
2: I have no freakin clue how to raise my Vcore on my motherboard.

This is my motherboard. I'm unsure if the link works for you, but it doesn't for me(whole asus.com doesn't work - just a blank page) - if it doesn't work the name of it is M5A78L-M/USB3 AM3+

As said, my CPU are AMD Phenom II x4 965 BE.
It's nothing wrong with the temps. After 2h of stability test the max temp was 49C.

The only thing in BIOS I can find anything with "voltage" with CPU, is "CPU Over Voltage" but I haven't really got any good answers on sweclockers if this is the setting for Vcore or not.

Here's the manual for my motherboard.
Last Overclock tries I've done is via "AMD Overdrive" to check at when it crashes, and then I choosed the last "safe-spot"(x19 - 202) it didn't crash and made a stability test which after 2h crashed.

My current Core Voltage at 3600 MHz are currently at 1,464 which I think is a bit high, but then - It's the standard one for me since I haven't changed it.

If there is anything I've missed to mention, please ask and I'll answer.
I'm greatful for help.

Last edited:
What I was talking about was the Bluescreen errors. Not the overclocking itself..
The only reason I was using it was because I knew there was a post with what the different Bluescreen errors(as in "0xXXXXXX" in there meant.

So I've not used the guide itself. Only the bluescreen part.

QPI: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Intel_QuickPath_Interconnect

Yup. This applies to Intel systems, so ignore it.

Start by going into the AMD overdrive program and disable it (or restore to defaults).

On pages 2-10 and 2-11 of the manual you linked are most of the settings you'll need to overclock. On page 2-10 you can see a setting to set CPU frequency to 'manual'. Do it. That should then reveal a variety of other options. It's unlikely that raising your CPU voltage is the first thing you'll need to do, so leave it at stock for now.

At 3.8 Ghz I was able to run on an MSI MB pretty stabley but had temps pushing towards 55C which is about the limit without a BSOD. So I pegged mine at 3.7 and ran F@H 24/7 for a year, no problems. Temps are what will get you with the AMD processors. Always have. :cool:

QPI: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Intel_QuickPath_Interconnect

Yup. This applies to Intel systems, so ignore it.

Start by going into the AMD overdrive program and disable it (or restore to defaults).

On pages 2-10 and 2-11 of the manual you linked are most of the settings you'll need to overclock. On page 2-10 you can see a setting to set CPU frequency to 'manual'. Do it. That should then reveal a variety of other options. It's unlikely that raising your CPU voltage is the first thing you'll need to do, so leave it at stock for now.

I must be retarded or something.. When looking in the manual, I can't see anything on page 2-10 with "CPU Frequency". If you mean the "CPU Overclocking" inside the Jumperfree tab, then It's already activated.

And as said, I get BSOD at 3,8GHz with the stock volt at 1,464.

If you mean the "CPU Overclocking" inside the Jumperfree tab, then It's already activated.

Yes. That is what I meant. And when you say it's 'activated' do you mean it is on 'auto' or 'manual' ? You'll also want to set the PCIE overclocking on the following page to 'manual'.

Last edited:
Yes. That is what I meant. And when you say it's 'activated' do you mean it is on 'auto' or 'manual' ?

Manual
Edit: Ah, you made an edit. Okay so, PCIE to manual as well? Should I be changing anything there then?
The only option I get when changing CPU Overclock to manual is the FSB(I assume). Nothing else is there to change. I really don't have a "Vcore" in my BIOS I can change.

As said, the only close one is "CPU Over voltage"

Last edited:
Ok good. And then yes, CPU Overvoltage is the setting to adjust Vcore. Again, wait to do that.

As with many mobos, the language in the manual is a bit different. There is a setting to change the voltage for your VDDNB on page 2-11 and *I think* that's the setting you want since I don't see a separate option for NB voltage. If this is it, try setting the VDDNB voltage to 1.20v (possibly indicated as +.10v) and then try the 18.5x or 19x multipliers again.

Here's what I mean:http://www.hardwaresecrets.com/prin...ltage-Configurations-from-the-Motherboard/995

Can some ASUS owner confirm that this is the CPUNB voltage setting on this board?

Yes. That is what I meant. And when you say it's 'activated' do you mean it is on 'auto' or 'manual' ? You'll also want to set the PCIE overclocking on the following page to 'manual'.

Ok good. And then yes, CPU Overvoltage is the setting to adjust Vcore. Again, wait to do that.

As with many mobos, the language in the manual is a bit different. There is a setting to change the voltage for your VDDNB on page 2-11 and *I think* that's the setting you want since I don't see a separate option for NB voltage. If this is it, try setting the VDDNB voltage to 1.20v (possibly indicated as +.10v) and then try the 18.5x or 19x multipliers again.

Here's what I mean:http://www.hardwaresecrets.com/prin...ltage-Configurations-from-the-Motherboard/995

Can some MSI owner confirm that this is the CPUNB voltage setting on this board?

Cheers man, really appreciate it. One thing though; When changing the Over Voltage function the text becomes yellow at 1,36XXX.

I made a video for sweclockers before, but didn't really get any response to it, but look here:

As you can see it starts from 1,175000 and becomes yellow at 1,365625
And if I understand this correctly, I have to bring it up over 1,464 to make the vcore higher?

http://valid.canardpc.com/show_oc.php?id=2654267

Cheers man, really appreciate it. One thing though; When changing the Over Voltage function the text becomes yellow at 1,36XXX.

I made a video for sweclockers before, but didn't really get any response to it, but look here:

As you can see it starts from 1,175000 and becomes yellow at 1,365625
And if I understand this correctly, I have to bring it up over 1,464 to make the vcore higher?

http://valid.canardpc.com/show_oc.php?id=2654267

BIOS settings that become yellow/red at certain values mean you do so at your own risk. Honestly, I have *no idea* why your CPU is reading at 1.464v but *do not* bump it any higher. If that's what [AUTO] does, just leave it. But that seems too high. It should be reading between about 1.37v and 1.40v. I think you can safely eliminate CPU undervolting as a cause of an OC failure. :cool:

Last edited:
BIOS settings that become yellow/red at certain values mean you do so at your own risk. Honestly, I have *no idea* why your CPU is reading at 1.464v but *do not* bump it any higher. If that's what [AUTO] does, just leave it. But that seems too high.

Right, yeah. I totally agree, it seems a tad bit high when I've seen others with the same CPU going around 1,3 stock.

But your suggestion then is to try put up the VDDNB voltage to 1,2(setting is yellow as well btw) and try x18,5/19 and try at that point?
Edit: I noticed as well the Vcore went down when I was making a stability test earlier, down to 1,442 I think.

Basically, it's already high enough for clocking?

Balyn, welcome to the forums. I'm a little confused by the quotes below. You tested the 3.8 clocks that were done via AMD Overdrive passed 2 hours of prime with no issues and you are still getting BSOD?

The main problem is that I'm crashing at 3,8GHz with different Bluescreen errors. The latest one, with Bus speed at 202 and multiplier at 19

Last Overclock tries I've done is via "AMD Overdrive" to check at when it crashes, and then I choosed the last "safe-spot"(x19 - 202) it didn't crash and made a stability test which after 2h crashed.

What I feel you should do is the following, read the guide Manu2b posted set everything back to default and uninstall AMD overdrive. Then download Cpuid-CPUZ and HWmonitor and post pics of the tabs cpu,spd and memory as well as HWmonitor under load for 20min to get a baseline. I would bet that by using AMD overdrive, your cpu is overclocked but, it probably downclocked your ram HT Link and NB frequency. You are much better off using the BIOS and becoming familiar with it, if you are going to want the best performance out of your pc.

Balyn, welcome to the forums. I'm a little confused by the quotes below. You tested the 3.8 clocks that were done via AMD Overdrive passed 2 hours of prime with no issues and you are still getting BSOD?

What I feel you should do is the following, read the guide Manu2b posted set everything back to default and uninstall AMD overdrive. Then download Cpuid-CPUZ and HWmonitor and post pics of the tabs cpu,spd and memory as well as HWmonitor under load for 20min to get a baseline. I would bet that by using AMD overdrive, your cpu is overclocked but, it probably downclocked your ram HT Link and NB frequency. You are much better off using the BIOS and becoming familiar with it, if you are going to want the best performance out of your pc.

1: I crashed AFTER 2h
2: I used the "Auto tune" function and waited until the setting where I crashed was > resetted AMD Overdrive > Used the settings AMD Overdrive used before crashing, and putted them in BIOS manually.
And I do use CPU-Z / Core Temp.

...read the guide Manu2b posted set everything back to default and uninstall AMD overdrive. Then download Cpuid-CPUZ and HWmonitor and post pics of the tabs cpu,spd and memory as well as HWmonitor under load for 20min to get a baseline.

Especially that bolded bit. :D

Really this would help us (help you) a lot. Just too many things going on at one time.

Especially that bolded bit. :D

Really this would help us (help you) a lot. Just too many things going on at one time.

ehm? :p
The only thing I used AMD Overdrive was to CHECK how high I could clock, which was x19 - 202 as a safe spot. Most likely my PC crashed at x19 - 203. After running x19 202 in stability test for 2h, it crashed.

I'm not using it to clock. I do that manually via BIOS. I just used the settings FROM AMD Overdrive to bios.
This was ONCE using it.

It's uninstalled anyway.
But still, you recommend me putting up VDDNB to 1.2 and then x19 and do a stability test for 20 min or so?

Okay so I tried running x19 and 1,75000v on the vddnb but I got a bsod: 0x050 . Any ideas why?

edit: I'm running memtest atm, just incase something have happened to my memory.

Last edited:
Okay so I tried running x19 and 1,75000v on the vddnb but I got a bsod: 0x050 . Any ideas why?

edit: I'm running memtest atm, just incase something have happened to my memory.

Got it. Still a good idea uninstalling the AMD Overdrive.

I am going to recommend that you go into BIOS and reset everything to default. If you have options to reset to either 'fail-safe' or 'optimized' you can use the latter.

Then let's get some screenshots and work on one thing at a time.

I also might recommend that you start a thread in AMD Motherboards. Some ASUS guys might get a look at that BIOS.

It would still be best if you would post up a screenshot of CPU-z's CPU, Memory, and SPD tabs. Along with a picture of HWMonitor while Prime95 blend test is running(preferably after several minutes at the very least). This helps us establish how the motherboard is setting things which are on auto and shows us stuff such as voltage droop under load.

There are a lot of things that could be the issue here particularly because you are overclocking on a motherboard that isn't particularly good for it. 1.464V and 3.8Ghz would put this processor more into the 170-180w range and that's an economy class 140w board which means that when they say 140w they mean 140w. So that's something to keep in mind.

There are a lot of things that could be the issue here particularly because you are overclocking on a motherboard that isn't particularly good for it. 1.464V and 3.8Ghz would put this processor more into the 170-180w range and that's an economy class 140w board which means that when they say 140w they mean 140w. So that's something to keep in mind.
Very good point here from Hicksimus, I took a peek at your motherboard. There are no heatsinks in the vrm area, which is always concerning to me.

Back