• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

AMD Phenom II x4 965 BE - stuck at 3,60GHz

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Exactly when I was about to get into windows I got a bluescreen. Error 0x3B.

Does your processor decrease voltage and frequency when your machine is idle? If it does you may need to turn off the stuff I mentioned earlier. I'm certain I've read about some VRMs not responding to required voltage changes quick enough before but that stuff is really outside my realm of knowledge...assuming it's true then turning off those green features may be the solution.

I've highlighted the CPU VRM area on 2 motherboards in these pictures. The first is yours. That's a 4+1 phase with lower quality components, versus an 8+2 with higher quality components(which are also normally under a nice heatsink because certain parts of it can produce a lot of heat).

Those parts have to deal with the demands of your processor and are one of the reasons why more expensive motherboards cost more. That second VRM can deal with demands that would cause yours to light on fire(though it likely has features to just stop trying instead).

Edit:Also, credit to Asus for the first image and credit to a user on the TPU forums for the second picture.

Right. And if I understood this correctly; Is when and if I get over 140w?
Did you read my last post btw?

Edit: Didn't notice a new page: But yes, it does. It's pendling between 1,428v to 1,440v in Idle, but goes down to 1,416v when under stress.
And I think I have everything "Green" off already. Cool 'n' Quet is off, so is C1E support. Is there anything else I can change?

Edit: I have something called "EPU-4 Engine" installed on my PC, I think that's also "green". I closed it but nothing changed with the voltage though. Still pendling between 1,428 - 1,440 idle. I've uninstalled it as well

Last edited:
That point on your motherboard is above 140w but generally speaking with cheaper 140w mobos it's not a lot higher and was probably your original issue.

That issue on restart may have been a lot of things, even bad luck. You may want to use it for a while and see if you have any other issues, you can also run a much longer stress and possibly find instability. Though I would just use it for a while and see how it does because I'm thinking your issue at the start was a VRM limitation and now that it's working I'd be hesitant to move closer to the previous voltage than you are now. Unless you feel like giving it a tiny bit more voltage and a long stress test.

Great man. I'll come back to this thread if anything further pops up. Right now I'm satisfied and due my motherboard I may get another one lateron :)

Thank you, and all the rest for all the help I've got. I'm really greatful!

Back