• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

AMD Phenom II x4 965 BE - stuck at 3,60GHz

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
If you still have you voltage on auto take that Off , you will not get this clocks you are shooting for ( and be stable ) with Vcore on auto . Set as many Voltage as you can find

I'm doing some cable management right now, but I'll just reset bios when I'm done and take some SS and post them

I'll be ignoring most of the voltage readings because it's normal for this board to look that way in HWMonitor. The only thing that seems odd to me there is the VCore. At stock in many cases people can run between 1.37 and 1.4V and be stable(2+ hours of prime95 blend test, etc.). Finding your minimum stable voltage is a smart place to start here since it looks like your current voltage at stock speed is pushing your core temp fairly high after just 8 minutes of Prime95.

Memory settings look fine as well though if you are ever wondering if you have faulty RAM you can grab Memtest86.

So, find how low you can push that stable, lets see the temps and work up from there.

...The only thing that seems odd to me there is the VCore. At stock in many cases people can run between 1.37 and 1.4V and be stable(2+ hours of prime95 blend test, etc.).

I agree. I haven't touched my Vcore and I'm at 1.408v. Don't know why it's at 1.440v. :confused:

@Hicksimus-You seem to know more about this mobo. It could definitely be the limiting factor though, because most of the (C-3) 965s can get to 4.0 without a voltage jump. Is there an option to *reduce* the Vcore on this board?

@balyn-Thanks. The screenshots help.

I actually think there is a way to reduce the voltage...
When I use my " + " and " - " keys on the keyboard, I can choose like, 1,3XXXXX in voltage, of the "CPU Over Voltage" function.

Should I be changing that one to a lower value and try it out?
I did a memtest btw Hicksimus, no faulty ram there :)

And about the temps after just 8 Minutes; Trust me, it doesn't go over 50C. It stays between 48-50. When starting the blend test it rises pretty much right away to these numbers, but after stays there.

But again; Reduce the Vcore(CPU Over Voltage), but should I overclock my CPU now then while testing the lowest one before crashing, or should I go with stock settings?

Edit: Did a 20 minutes more or less stress test now with reduced Vcore and these are the results:
28767935.png

(stock settings still)

Last edited:
Balyn two things, could you put your system specs in your signature, here's how and also you can upload pics using the forum attachment.

Attachments

• Capture.PNG
    Capture.PNG
    15.2 KB · Views: 44
No offense in any way or so, but I don't see how it could be hard clicking on a link or even ask me for further PC speccs than I've already mentioned :p
But sure, It's fixed.

Edit: According to the "Edit Signature" I now have a signature of my PC specs, but it doesn't show up on my screen here on the forums....
Edit2: FIxed!

Last edited:
That's looking better now, as you can see it was using a lot of voltage before without needing it. The best plan is to always keep your voltage as low as it can be while remaining stable(plus a little bit for peace of mind) and in your case it will be pretty important to do this for best results because of your motherboard.

If you haven't disabled Cooln'n'Quiet or C1E in the BIOS yet you may want to do that before you proceed. Doing so isn't required, I have them on right now, but it can avoid some issues.

I'd start with .5 multiplier increases for the CPU with the voltage you have now. You can test after each bump and slowly raise your voltage to maintain stability when it fails. Or you can save some time and bump the voltage to 1.40V then work on multiplier bumps from there, judging by your current voltage you should be able to go a fair way on 1.4V. You won't need to touch anything other than Multiplier and the CPU voltage for now.

Edit: It's actually pretty helpful to have specs in sig and images directly in the post because some people such as myself offer a lot of help(multiple threads at once) and it can be quite a PITA to have 20 tabs open.

No offense in any way or so, but I don't see how it could be hard clicking on a link or even ask me for further PC speccs than I've already mentioned
But sure, It's fixed.
Balyn, no offense taken, just understand that this post usually isn't the only one where people are helping others. Speaking for myself, I am usually helping more than one person at a time. Each person has different specs on there system, it gets confusing who has what in there pc and tiresome to look back at the OP 1st post to see them. Therefore, it is considered a courtesy to the members helping you, to have the specs in your signature. Also to have your pics uploaded on the forum, helps others in the future, because they will become dead links eventually, if they are not uploaded.

Now back to the topic, your temps look much better with the lowered CPU V Core

Fair enough. I did what you said and I now doing a stability test at 17.5/200 with 1.368 vcore
. How long should I be stressing before raising the multiplier?

Fair enough. I did what you said and I now doing a stability test at 17.5/200 with 1.368 vcore
. How long should I be stressing before raising the multiplier?

Personally I'd be giving it 10-20 minutes there, once you hit the frequency you want it to run at then you can do long tests to fine tune the voltage to perfectly stable, those runs should generally be 2+ hours.

A question here though:

I'm currently running 3,6GHz with sub 1,40 Vcore, but if I start getting Bluescreens at let's say 18,5, should I increase the Vcore then?

A question here though:

I'm currently running 3,6GHz with sub 1,40 Vcore, but if I start getting Bluescreens at let's say 18,5, should I increase the Vcore then?

Certainly up the voltage a bit. Here is a picture from Xbit with a small edit from me.

phenom-ii-x4-965-2.png

That curved red line is representing power draw as they OC'd a C3 965. The first 3 data points are with 1.4V then 1.5V at 3.9GHz. I added the flat line which is approximately 140w and exceeding that by much can cause issues with your motherboard. Issues such as throttling the processor to a low frequency or responding in a way that causes a bluescreen to protect itself.

Certainly up the voltage a bit. Here is a picture from Xbit with a small edit from me.

View attachment 121884

That curved red line is representing power draw as they OC'd a C3 965. The first 3 data points are with 1.4V then 1.5V at 3.9GHz. I added the flat line which is approximately 140w and exceeding that by much can cause issues with your motherboard. Issues such as throttling the processor to a low frequency or responding in a way that causes a bluescreen to protect itself.

Cool. I was planning to go to 3,8GHz for now stable and stay there for a while. So will these throttling issues happen or not at 3,8GHz? Ofc depending on volt and such, but still - should I be able to avoid it or not?

I'd guess that if you can hit 3.8GHz on about 1.4V you should be fine. But I didn't design the board or the VRM and I have limited knowledge on the components used and the function of the VRM in general so it's really just a guess. It claims 140w support and if it was at 1.464V before then you are likely to have a bit of headroom over 140w.

If it doesn't work you can try positioning a fan to blow air over the VRM.

I actually have no clue what VRM means ^^ I'm stressing right now though, 1h 20m. Going to post a chart later when I'm done at 2h that may help you help me further, if needed.

Okay, so the 2h is over and everything went fine up till I rebooted my PC. Exactly when I was about to get into windows I got a bluescreen. Error 0x3B. According to another guide that means I should increase the Vcore a little bit.

In your opinion, should I?

Attachments

• Untitled.png
    Untitled.png
    17.1 KB · Views: 31
I've highlighted the CPU VRM area on 2 motherboards in these pictures. The first is yours. That's a 4+1 phase with lower quality components, versus an 8+2 with higher quality components(which are also normally under a nice heatsink because certain parts of it can produce a lot of heat).

Those parts have to deal with the demands of your processor and are one of the reasons why more expensive motherboards cost more. That second VRM can deal with demands that would cause yours to light on fire(though it likely has features to just stop trying instead).

Edit:Also, credit to Asus for the first image and credit to a user on the TPU forums for the second picture.

Back