• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

AMD Phenom II X4 B50 (unlocked 4th core) overclock

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

ErQ

Hello,

I'm not good with overclock so I need your help

I bought AMD Athlon II X3 450 processor and unlocked 4th core in EasyTune 6 so now I have AMD Phenom II X4 B50 processor.
Can I overclock it to more GHz? How to do it? What to change?

IZBxB.jpg tXOST.jpg
CPRdP.jpg wTF3m.jpg
CePSH.jpg

Thanks

Last edited:
Before you bump the speed, I would check your temps under full load. I was able to unlock my old X3 455, but temps went way up...just with stock clock settings.

First of all get rid of easy tune, it will hinder you're attempts to overclock and everything easy tune can do you can do it in you're bios and know its not going to change once you set it. Then once you have unlocked you're core "using you're bios" you need to stress test it to ensure its a viable working core, to do this download a programme called prime95 and run a hour test, if it passes then you can start to overclock, when testing check to ensure you're core temps don't go above 55c, you can do this with hwmonitor

I would also add that you need to verify HWmonitor is showing correct temps. With two different motherboards and chips, HWmonitor has shown my core temps 10 degrees lower than they actually are.

If in doubt, find the highest temp other than your video card, and watch that temp as you load test. It should start to go up almost the moment your start stress testing.

It would also be necessary for you to include the "SPD" tab in your CPU-z pics. SPD tells us what you memory manufacturer's recommendations are for the timings and voltages of your ram when run at various frequencies it is capable of.

I would also add that you need to verify HWmonitor is showing correct temps. With two different motherboards and chips, HWmonitor has shown my core temps 10 degrees lower than they actually are.

If in doubt, find the highest temp other than your video card, and watch that temp as you load test. It should start to go up almost the moment your start stress testing.

Yeah, but most of the time when one third party monitoring program reports things inaccurately the others do as well, but not always.

You won't get no core temp reading once you unlock so use the socket temp as a reference by running you're chip locked at 3 cores and making a note of the difference between socket and core temps and use that offset once you unlock to gauge you're core temps

Good reminder, Keny. So, Erq, run Prime95 blend for 20 minutes with he cores locked up at stock frequencies and voltages. Take note of the maximujm core temps and the CPU temps reached and make note of the difference between the two. That difference will stay the same when you run it unlocked and only have the CPU temps to go off of. Core temps are the most critical so to figure them after unlocking you just have to do the math.

How many Tests I must do in this Prime95 ? Now I have Test 7

The number of tests don't matter to much, it is more the length of time that matters. When working on finding the maximum, i normally run it for about 20 mins (small FFT). Once i start to get closer to finding the max i run it a little longer. Finally for a 24/7 setup, i like to be able to run prime for 10 hours with no problems.

Back