• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

AMD Phenom IIx4 965BE overclocking

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Are you talking about it being Page Filed?

Umm not sure what you mean...when I open windows performance manager and go to my memory, it shows exactly 4gb as being "system reserved". Now I ran Memtest so I know all my Ram is good, so what's up with the system reserved?

No he is talking about ram that is reserved for system peripherals such as a video card. There are other things that will cause system reserved ram but large amounts of ram plus video cards with large amounts of ram can cause ram set aside as system reserved.

"adil95" you need to make a signature so we can see what you are actually using as your system.

My how to put up Sig at OCF.

New Shortcut method for putting a Signature with your system information following your every post so people can know what is in the case that they are trying to assist with. You can use something like what is shown in my signature as a good template of needed information Thank you.

Depending on what O/S you are using and other factors you might try this:
Press Start -> Run

Type msconfig

Go under the "Boot" tab

Click "Advanced options" button

Uncheck "Maximum memory"

No he is talking about ram that is reserved for system peripherals such as a video card. There are other things that will cause system reserved ram but large amounts of ram plus video cards with large amounts of ram can cause ram set aside as system reserved.

"adil95" you need to make a signature so we can see what you are actually using as your system.

My how to put up Sig at OCF.

New Shortcut method for putting a Signature with your system information following your every post so people can know what is in the case that they are trying to assist with. You can use something like what is shown in my signature as a good template of needed information Thank you.

Depending on what O/S you are using and other factors you might try this:
Press Start -> Run

Type msconfig

Go under the "Boot" tab

Click "Advanced options" button

Uncheck "Maximum memory"

Okay I think I did that properly!

all my deneb cpus like 1333 ram, just what it was designed for i guess.
a little more vcore voltage will get you clocked higher if your temps can stay within limits, deneb will run well over 55c but it really gets unstable much over that.

I run my cpu/nb voltage from 1.175 up to 1.3, depends on what the cpu i'm playing with likes,
you have to fiddle about and test to find what works best in your combo.

people keep telling me to bring by 1600 ram down to 1333, why? They say it'll stabilize the system more, but won't I lose memory speed?

People are telling you that because the phenom ii didnt really have a strong integrated memory controller so running at speeds above 1333mhz put more stress on it reducing stability alot. If you can run at 1600 and up go for it. Mine wouldnt work past 1500. If it is not stable then bring it down to 1333mhz and tighten timings. Also you want to get as fast a cpu-nb as possible cause it controls the l3 cache speed and memory controller speeds. As AMD has said on their overclocking guide CPU NB has a notable impact on overall system performance.

People are telling you that because the phenom ii didnt really have a strong integrated memory controller so running at speeds above 1333mhz put more stress on it reducing stability alot. If you can run at 1600 and up go for it. Mine wouldnt work past 1500. If it is not stable then bring it down to 1333mhz and tighten timings. Also you want to get as fast a cpu-nb as possible cause it controls the l3 cache speed and memory controller speeds. As AMD has said on their overclocking guide CPU NB has a notable impact on overall system performance.

Yeah, I brought my Ram down to 1333 and was able to clock 4Ghz with NB at 2600Mhz, and its stable
But what is with all my hardware reserved memory in windows? Its telling me that roughly 4GB is system reserved, why and how do I get it back to normal? With my old ram i didn't have this problem, and that was 2x4GB of team ace or something @1333

Yeah, I brought my Ram down to 1333 and was able to clock 4Ghz with NB at 2600Mhz, and its stable
But what is with all my hardware reserved memory in windows? Its telling me that roughly 4GB is system reserved, why and how do I get it back to normal? With my old ram i didn't have this problem, and that was 2x4GB of team ace or something @1333

I have no idea. Can you provide a screenshot on where you saw that? The only thing that I can think of that would be using it is the windows hibernation file.

I have no idea. Can you provide a screenshot on where you saw that? The only thing that I can think of that would be using it is the windows hibernation file.

Capture.png

Its in windows performance monitor.

Speaking of RAM, I just installed 16GB @1600 and it seems that quite a large chunk is system reserved. What is this and how do i get rid of it? I didnt have this problem with my old RAM.

The amount reserved for system will also be affected by how much ram your video card has. It's not what it seems. Don't worry about it. That much is not really reserved in an inaccessible way.

The amount reserved for system will also be affected by how much ram your video card has. It's not what it seems. Don't worry about it. That much is not really reserved in an inaccessible way.

But my video card only has 2GB of Ram, so why is 4Gb reserved? In the large scale of things it doesn't really matter because I have 16Gb of Ram total, i was just curious

I wasn't saying the amount reserved would be equal to the amount of video ram I said it would be affected by it. Windows Vista and later plays by a different set of rules than XP did when it comes to system reserve of ram. I don't pretend to understand it but I can tell you not to worry about it.

I wasn't saying the amount reserved would be equal to the amount of video ram I said it would be affected by it.

Oh, I see. But this won't affect my system performance correct?

But my video card only has 2GB of Ram, so why is 4Gb reserved? In the large scale of things it doesn't really matter because I have 16Gb of Ram total, i was just curious

lol i have no idea why all that is reserved. It is has to be the gpu reserving itself 4gb for some reason. For example nvidia control panel says that i have 4gb of video memory. 1.5gb dedicated and the rest is shared with the rest of the system. So i would be willing to bet that your gpu is just claiming all that ram for itself incase it needs it. Your gpu is a greedy little booger. Nothing to worry about. As you said you still have another 8gb unused lol.

lol i have no idea why all that is reserved. It is has to be the gpu reserving itself 4gb for some reason. For example nvidia control panel says that i have 4gb of video memory. 1.5gb dedicated and the rest is shared with the rest of the system. So i would be willing to bet that your gpu is just claiming all that ram for itself incase it needs it. Your gpu is a greedy little booger. Nothing to worry about. As you said you still have another 8gb unused lol.

alright, cool
you mentioned tightening my Ram timings, how would I go about doing this? I read a bunch about overclocking before I did it, but there wasn't too much mention of latency and whatnot. I know where its located on my Bios, I'm just not sure what to change.

Here's a pic of what the settings are now. Unfortunately I have 2 different types of Ram (see signature) b/c 2 sticks came free with a comp I built for my family and i stole them lol
Capture4.png

You only need to be concerned with the 5 or 6 timings that you see reported by CPU-z in the Memory and SPD tab. When you go into the Memory timing section of bios you will see many more than that but leave the others on Auto after you take the main header formemory timings off of Auto. It can be a little tricky figuring out which ones in bios correspond to what you see in CPU-z because they may not use exactly the same terminology. When in doubt, make a small change in bios that is not likely to keep you from booting into Windows and then check out the change in bios against what you see in the CPU-z Memory tab to see if the change showed up.

You only need to be concerned with the 5 or 6 timings that you see reported by CPU-z in the Memory and SPD tab. When you go into the Memory timing section of bios you will see many more than that but leave the others on Auto after you take the main header formemory timings off of Auto. It can be a little tricky figuring out which ones in bios correspond to what you see in CPU-z because they may not use exactly the same terminology. When in doubt, make a small change in bios that is not likely to keep you from booting into Windows and then check out the change in bios against what you see in the CPU-z Memory tab to see if the change showed up.

okay, I see what you are talking about. But which of these should I change and by how much? I think my spd tab and memory tab were linked earlier in the blog if you need to see them

Make changes in bios that cause your timings as displayed on the CPU-z memory tab correspond to the values you see in the CPU-z SPD tab for the frequency you are running the ram at. Make sure the memory voltage corresponds to what you see in the SPD tab as well for the frequency it's running at. Some ram needs more voltage to run at the XMP frequency than it does at lower speeds.

Make changes in bios that cause your timings as displayed on the CPU-z memory tab correspond to the values you see in the CPU-z SPD tab for the frequency you are running the ram at. Make sure the memory voltage corresponds to what you see in the SPD tab as well for the frequency it's running at. Some ram needs more voltage to run at the XMP frequency than it does at lower speeds.

right, I understand that, what i dont know is if I'm increasing or decreasing these numbers, what I should change the timings to, not how to change them...I looked for an article online, and the ones I found only confused me.

I'm not sure I understand what you're struggling to grasp. Tighter, more aggressive timing corresponds to smaller numbers which translates into better memory performance.

To change them, go into bios. Find the main header for memory timing. take it off of Auto. You will be looking at about 15-20 separate timings. Take the individual ones off of Auto and change it to the value you want, usually with the "+" or "-" keys or choose the desired value from a drop down list with the up and down arrow keys and Enter key.

Perhaps I'm taking something for granted here. You do know how to get into bios don't you? This is not something you can do in AMDOverdrive.

I'm not sure I understand what you're struggling to grasp. Tighter, more aggressive timing corresponds to smaller numbers which translates into better memory performance.

To change them, go into bios. Find the main header for memory timing. take it off of Auto. You will be looking at about 15-20 separate timings. Take the individual ones off of Auto and change it to the value you want, usually with the "+" or "-" keys or choose the desired value from a drop down list with the up and down arrow keys and Enter key.

Perhaps I'm taking something for granted here. You do know how to get into bios don't you? This is not something you can do in AMDOverdrive.

Of course! I overclocked in the bios, not on AMDOverdrive. What I don't get is how much should i tighten the numbers? And if I change one number, then do all of them need to be changed? Its not the process of changing the numbers i dont get, i know how to use my bios, its what i should change the numbers to. For example, if my Cas Latency is 9 clocks, my RAS to CAS delay is 9, my tRAS is 24 clocks (just listing a couple i see in the CPO-z memory tab) by how much should I change these numbers? if I decrease them, how much before my system crashes? I'm sure its different for every system, but there must be a standard i can tighten it to right?

Back