• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

AMD Phenom X4 955 Black Edition 75C Temps

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Nanostriker

My None Over Clocked, Amd X4 955 Black Edition processor with stock fan, runs at 75C temps, when im at load, and i've had it go to 85C While playing Battlefield Bad Company 2.

The Processor Idles at around 55-60c

Why is this.
606a48c09a.png

Last edited:
Welcome, Nanostriker, 75 is wayyyyy to hot! Please give us details on your system, are you using a aftermarket heatsink? How are you overclocking? What are you ambient temps? Is the case located in a desk cubby?

What I would do, is put your system back to stock settings, download cpuid cpuz, hwmonitor and prime 95. Run prime 95 and post individual pics of hwmonitor, cpu, spd and memory. Keep it under 62 deg if it goes over shut it down.

Last edited:
This is on Stock Settings as far as im aware, thats why im concerned at its temps, im also using a stock cooler that came with it. Heres my system specs.

OS Windows 7 ultimate x64
CPU Amd Athlon X4 Phenom 955 3.2Ghz Black Edition
Motherboard Asus M4N68T
Memory 6gb DDR3
Graphics Card Ati radeon 5770 HD vapor-x
Sound Card Built in - HDMI Audio
Monitor(s) Displays 26" 720p HD Widescreen

My computer is on the floor with the side of the case off (I don't dare put it on lol)
The ambient temperature of my room is about 20c
I applied new thermal paste about a month ago
http://compare.ebay.co.uk/like/261002594114?var=lv&ltyp=AllFixedPriceItemTypes&var=sbar&cbt=y

8cce4e7b0a.jpg
91102497d8.jpg

Last edited:
Oh sorry Nano, I missed the NON in the Overclocked part, it's still early here. :) Is the fan on the cooler working? If it is, I would take the cooler off again, clean both the cooler and CPU with a coffee filter and some Isopropyl Alcohol. Then add a small amount of paste "less then a pea sized" in the middle of cpu and re-seat the cooler. Then test it with prime 95 and see where the temps go, don't let it get above 62.

Last edited:
The EVO is a great cooler just make sure it will fit in the case. To answer your question of why it's running so hot! It is hard to tell, I'm thinking either you have way too much thermal paste on the cpu or the cooler isn't seated correctly. My curiosity is getting the best of me so I would love for you to take it off clean it and re-seat it to see if the temps change.

Buy a small tube of Arctic Silver 5 or Arctic Cooling MX2 or MX4 thermal paste. Most computer stores will have one or the other. Remove the old heatsink and clean both the heatsink base and the CPU face with a couple or three paper coffee filters (They don't leave lint like Kleenex, paper towels or soft cloth). Finish the cleaning with a coffee filter slightly moistened with rubbing alcohol. Then reapply the paste with the "blob" method. Squeeze a small blob (somewhere between the size of a BB and a pea) onto the center of the CPU face. Don't try to spread it. Spreading it with your finger or whatever will introduce air bubbles. Then lower the heatsink onto the CPU, centering it from the get go as best as you can. Clamp it down. That's it. Let the clamping pressure spread the paste.

Concerning the new cooler you have ordered. If your case is not more than 7.5" wide across the top it likely will be too tall to fit in with the side panel on. Looks like you could also use some better cable managemeny. Tie those cables and wires up and tuck them out of the way to prevent obstruction of air flow.

Last edited:
One thing I noticed about the Evo with regards to TIM application, is it actually works better (in my system, any way) to put a short, thin stripe of TIM along each heat pipe. I tried a small dot in the middle of the CPU, two and three stripes perpendicular to the heat pipes and even spreading it as evenly as I could with a stiff card, and that's the method that got me the best temps. My 960T runs at ~35C idle and ~60C Prime95 load socket temps (26C idle 36 load core temps).

Thought that might help.

One thing I noticed about the Evo with regards to TIM application, is it actually works better (in my system, any way) to put a short, thin stripe of TIM along each heat pipe. I tried a small dot in the middle of the CPU, two and three stripes perpendicular to the heat pipes and even spreading it as evenly as I could with a stiff card, and that's the method that got me the best temps. My 960T runs at ~35C idle and ~60C Prime95 load socket temps (26C idle 36 load core temps).

Thought that might help.

+1^ Sometimes what happens with the blob method on those exposed heat pipe coolers like the 212+ evo is the ridges and valleys between the pipes block the spread of the paste.

Nope just the new 2 fans (Front+Back) And a new cpu fan, which came with Coolermaster thermal paste, i applied a lot of it.

Oh sorry I didn't realize that you bought the CM Evo, awesome cooler, glad you had good results. Next you should run Prime95 and see what your load temperatures are. BTW ignore that Temp3 -128 deg I get it all the time.

It can be counterproductive to apply "a lot of it" TIM because too much actually creates an insulating effect, particularly if the heatsink clamping mechanism doesn't put a lot pressure between the heatsink and the CPU face. Remember, no TIM is 100% efficient from a heat conduction standpoint so the thicker the layer the less heat transfer you get. Best policy is to apply just enough to get good coverage. Too much can also squeeze out around the edges and short out the pins.

Back