• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Overclocking AMD Phenom 2 X4 955 BE

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
That's the thing with those Phenoms. When the temps get over 50+c they can just become unstable requiring extra voltage which just makes them hotter. It's a vicious circle.

A couple of things that come to mind. On the Ram you're tRc maybe too tight for the speed you're running as well as having the Command rate at 1t. I'm not saying that it's definitely unable to run at those speeds, but until you find a fully stable Oc lets eliminate all possible causes for instability as possible. You can also drop the Ht Link clock back to around 2000 Mhz there really is no benefit having it at 2200 Mhz. Your temps in the first screen shot post #20 are definitely up there, PII chips can get a but wonky around the 55c mark.

What I would do from here, back the multiplier down to 17 giving you 3.7+ Oc. Shut off all the power saving features Cool and Quiet, C1E etc then get it 2 hours prime stable at that Oc and write down all of the settings. Once you have an established known stable Oc it makes it a lot easier to push further.

hdr_1447520005624.jpg

Please help me to set those things up. I know that first 3 lines are about to set on 9ns,but I have no idea what to do about rest xd

Regards,
Leito.

When you look at the SPD for your ram in CPUz. The first 4 numbers in CPUz are the first four in your bios. Just set them to match and also make sure the voltage is the same

Yes, but what about the rest?

CAS latency 9
RAS to CAS R/W Delay 9
Row Precharging Time 9
Minimum RAS Active Time ?

TwTr Command Delay ?

Write Recovery Time ?
Precharge Time ?
Row Cycle Time ?
Ras to Ras delay ?

Today i had some time to stress it for a little bit longer. I Primed my system for 2h ~20minutes. But i forgot to turn off AMD Cn'Q etc and change my ram settings :chair:, but it went well without any issues.

220x17,5 2h20m.jpg

Other program showed me 50,5*C on CPU core MAX.

I think, that i'll leave it at this state, especially that my GPU is bottlenecking now my system. (It is hd5750formula, it is also a little overclocked, but still it is not very powerfull GPU. I can play some games even when i will turn down max CPU multiplier in AMD OD so my CPU speed is something about 2750Mhz :p FPS are this same).

Temperatures in everydays usage are mostly not exceeding 35*C and 45*C in stress.

In the future, what GPU would you MAX recomend for this system? GTX950? 960? I mean, what is going to be a good pair for this Phenom, where they will work both ~100% their powers. I know, that 1 game is more using GPU and other uses more CPU, but what do You think will max out it performance without ruining my pocket :D?

http://www.komputronik.pl/product/2...orce_GTX_960_4GB_SuperSC_GAMING_ACX_2_0_.html

http://www.komputronik.pl/product/276217/Elektronika/Części_PC/ASUS_GeForce_GTX_960_2GB_STRIX.html

Now i pick a look at some GPUs. My monitor is working at 1440x900 and in the future maybe i will upgrade to FHD, but i am not planing to go with this PC for 4k :rofl:. EVGAs are good? I can see, that they have higher clocks and this one is 4gb VRAM, so i will mostly never exceed this VRAM AND EVGAs are much cheaper that other GTX960s. Why is that so? Are they worse quality? I can see quaranty 2 years instead 3years in ASUS, but paying extra for slower part is not something i really would go for :screwy:

Regards,
Leito.

The Oc looks good.

As far as the Gpu I agree with Tír na nÓg a 7950/7970 or GTX 670/680 if found for a good price would be a big upgrade.

In the future, what GPU would you MAX recomend for this system? GTX950? 960? I mean, what is going to be a good pair for this Phenom, where they will work both ~100% their powers. I know, that 1 game is more using GPU and other uses more CPU, but what do You think will max out it performance without ruining my pocket :D?

I doubt any current GPU will max out your CPU, especially if you only use one GPU and run everything at 1440x900. Even if the CPU would prevent you from getting the absolute best out of, say, a GTX980, it'll still probably give you higher FPS than a GTX970 or a GTX960. A GTX960 will give you similar performance as a GTX680 with a significantly lower TDP, so unless you can find a very cheap GTX680, I'd say go for the newer card. Radeon's R9 285 would also be rough equivalent in price and performance, but Radeons also have high TDP's, which is why I personally would go for a GTX960.

Back