• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

AMD prices drops cross the board

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

DavidJa

The sources indicated that AMD will cut the prices for four models in its Athlon 64 single-core CPU series by 20-30% in mid June. On July 24, AMD will reduce the prices for its Athlon 64x2 dual-core CPUs by 25-50%, and its low-end single-core Sempron series will see a 10-15% cut in prices, according to the sources.

http://digitimes.com/mobos/a20060612A1001.html?www.dailytech.com

According to memos recently obtained by DailyTech, AMD will drastically cut prices on its desktop processors after the July 23rd release of Intel’s Core 2 Duo Conroe processors. The memos that DailyTech has secured are between AMD and Japanese system manufacturers and indicate the following price cuts will become effective July 24th, 2006:

* AMD Athlon 64 price cuts will receive price cut up to 30%
* AMD Athlon 64 X2 will receive price cuts up to 50%
* AMD Sempron processors will receive price cuts up to 15%

http://www.dailytech.com/article.aspx?newsid=2800

:bday:

Well currently in the UK - you can get an Athlon64 3000+ for less than £60, which is mentally good value for money. When they slash the X2's, you can count me in on getting one....shame they dont make the 4000+ X2 for 939 though :(

the K8L is supposed to be the trick up their sleeve, next year i think. i haven't read much of anything about it, but i was reading about it on wikipedia only briefly, what i did read might not have been accurate.

Argh, what am I going to do? I've been contemplating getting an Opteron 165, which is available for $260 shipped right now from Monarch, but if I can get an X2 3800+ for ~$170 in another month and a half, maybe I should just wait. The problem is that these price cuts will go into effect just a bit too late for my birthday.

DragonTattooz said:
I hate to sound negative, but what this tells me is that AMD has been price gouging us.
I don't see it that way. These price cuts are a way to maintain as much market share as possible for AMD, since the competition is about to release a product that most experts agree is superior. This is similar to the domestic automotive manufacturers offering heavy discounts on slow-selling trucks and SUVs to sustain revenues as competition in the marketplace heats up and many people are buying vehicles from Asian makers. The way I see it, AMD really has no choice but to make this move, even if they wind up taking a loss on every CPU they sell.

1779largefullpricing6tn.png

no opteron info and no drop for fx

Wow, 3800 x2 for $169, both AM2's and 939. With these kind of prices, woh want's anything lese? I may, build a dual cpu system for less tha $300 cpu/mobo combo. Build at least 10 of them- one for me one for wife, one for kid, one for mom, one for dad, 2 for in-laws, 3 to donate to Intel fanboy wanabe's.

my wallet controls my pc speed ;) if amd can pull prices that low it becomes a no brainer for cash strapped performance junkies :D

Dammit - is that all people talk about these days? I mean come on - it's not even being sold yet - and so far, nothing more than hype and a few scattered benchmarks. Pitting current gen against next gen isnt exactly fair or even intelligent.

What REALLY annoys me is people that come into the AMD forums and ask a question about something and all certain people can bang on about - is the damn conroe. I dont care if it makes me coffee in the morning, it's not out yet and therefore, stupid to even be discussing it, let alone in an AMD forum.

For Rattle & ochungry - calling someone a fanboy is really childish and shows immaturity and a degree of personal insecurity - theres no need to get rude.

Back