• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

AMD processor model unknown

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Ri0t

Can somebody help me i buyied new CPU and started computer i went to play game to see if i can run it on higher setting it was worse even the CPU was better and if i checked properities i had AMD processor model unknown
I had AMD phenom 2.3Ghz triple core now i have AMD Athlon X4 965 Black edition 3.4 quad

My motherboard is : Asus M2N CM dvi

I downloaded them but its .rom not .exe i dont know how to install it

And if it work will i be able to play games normal without lags?

If it wouldnt been supported would it even run somehting?

I didnt checked but the guy that was assembling it he say it was

If it wouldnt been supported would it even run somehting?

No necessarily. Many times the motherboard just throttles it down to a safe, minimal speed - the exact effect you are seeing. From looking at the CPU support list for your motherboard it looks like all the CPUs it supports have a 65 watt TDP (Total Design Power) or less. The X4 965 is rated for 125W TDP.

Last edited:
Woah, hold on here...
Just because it isn't in the list doesn't mean it won't work.

It obviously boots and POSTs, now as long as it is not stuck in C&Q pstate (800 MHz) like a lot of the M2N boards did then he is fine. If it is stuck in that pstate like I'm sure it is, then PhenomMsrTweaker, or K10stat will be needed to manually set pstates once windows has booted up. (Though it will always boot at 800 MHz...but you can save profiles and run on startup)

The board isn't throttling down to a safe, minimum speed either, it is just stuck in idle pstate.

Woah, hold on here...
Just because it isn't in the list doesn't mean it won't work.

It obviously boots and POSTs, now as long as it is not stuck in C&Q pstate (800 MHz) like a lot of the M2N boards did then he is fine. If it is stuck in that pstate like I'm sure it is, then PhenomMsrTweaker, or K10stat will be needed to manually set pstates once windows has booted up. (Though it will always boot at 800 MHz...but you can save profiles and run on startup)

The board isn't throttling down to a safe, minimum speed either, it is just stuck in idle pstate.

What? xD

With the new processor, can you boot the machine into windows? Yes?
You say it runs slower? Yes?

Please download CPU-Z and run it.
Also, download Prime95 (32-bit) or (64-bit), run the BLEND stress test, and give a screenshot showing CPU-Z and Prime95 when you are running the stress test.

That is when Prime95 Blend is running?

I'll post instructions for a workaround so you can get your CPU running at full speed when I get myself familiar with the program necessary to do so again.

There's not a CPU on the CPU support list for that board of over 65W TDP. You can adjust P states all you want but that won't change the inadequate power phase of the motherboard. Altering the P states to run that CPU at full speed is a good way to fry it.

He already has the CPU, what do you want him to do?
If you want, we can go and look up the part number on the mosfets and calculate the power that the VRM is designed to handle...

Or suggest heatsinks...and deliberately undervolt the CPU?

There are many solutions here, lets pick one.

If it wouldn't been supported would it even run something?

A motherboard's responses to running with a non-supported CPU inserted can vary.

Most of the time they either fail to pass POST and boot up at all, or boot up but the board is unable to recognize what the CPU is and/or run at full speed.

Sometimes they run, but will be really unstable and cause the system to lock up or crash.

Back