• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

AMD Threadripper 32 cores listed and spotted

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
"The 8-core dies are based on what is called Pinnacle Ridge architecture, four of them placed on the multi-core chip package"

Wow, just wow! :drool:

Can you live on Ramen noodles for the rest of your life?

Yup ..... I'm all over that. Lol that's more then half a months salary.

$1850 USD? Yeah...time to sell the CH Hero VI/1600X Combo I currently have at 4GHz

Now I gotta build my 3rd personal use system of the year and it's not even September yet. I haven't built 3 (personal use) comps in a year in over a decade.

And again it looks like AMD isn't suffering from the "core count up=clock speed down" problem that plagues Team Blue. 32c/64t at 4.1 GHz??? That's a monster, especially considering AMD's more efficient SMT architecture. For under $1900. Ho-ly crap.

Yup ..... I'm all over that. Lol that's more then half a months salary.

You gotta pay to play.

CPU - AMD 2990X - $1800-ish
Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB DDR4 DRAM 3600MHz C18 Kit, Black - $460
ASUS ROG ZENITH EXTREME AMD Ryzen Threadripper TR4 DDR4 M.2 U.2 X 399 E-ATX HEDT Motherboard - $428.50
CORSAIR AXi Series, AX1200i - $314.56
(8) CableMod ModFlex Right Angle SATA 3 Sleeved Cablea (Red) 30cm - $63.20
(1) Samsung 960EVO 500GB M.2 - Already have
(1) Asus Strix 1080Ti OC - Already have
(3) HGST 8TB HDDs - Already have

Case & Cooling are probably gonna be another ~$800-$1000 if I don't do AIO *sigh*

I think I'll do a build log on this if I go custom cooling loop. (and probably title it, "Ouch! My ***!")

Initial estimate is around $4020. More if I go custom and hard tube...

Edited to add: Going to get another Phanteks Enthoo Luxe since I know it supports E-ATX and large graphics cards and a 360mm Rad in the top

Last edited:
You gotta pay to play.

ASUS ROG ZENITH EXTREME AMD Ryzen Threadripper TR4 DDR4 M.2 U.2 X 399 E-ATX HEDT Motherboard - $428.50

Case & Cooling are probably gonna be another ~$800-$1000 if I don't do AIO *sigh*

I think I'll do a build log on this if I go custom cooling loop. (and probably title it, "Ouch! My ***!")

Edited to add: Going to get another Phanteks Enthoo Luxe since I know it supports E-ATX and large graphics cards and a 360mm Rad in the top

Enermax has a 280 mm AIO for the 'Ripper that gets very good reviews. Of course, that was before the new monster.

Last edited:
Considering TDP, all current coolers from Enermax and Noctua should handle new processors. Enermax says their AIO are ready for 500W. I would say that more ~350W but it's still much more than stock CPU will generate. Noctua coolers are not so much worse. I had a chance to compare whole line of Noctua coolers and 280 Enermax AIO. I don't think we have to worry about coolers as long as we go with brand that delivers cooler which is covering whole IHS. Many brands released standard coolers with TR mounting kit and then temps are much worse.

Considering TDP, all current coolers from Enermax and Noctua should handle new processors. Enermax says their AIO are ready for 500W. I would say that more ~350W but it's still much more than stock CPU will generate. Noctua coolers are not so much worse. I had a chance to compare whole line of Noctua coolers and 280 Enermax AIO. I don't think we have to worry about coolers as long as we go with brand that delivers cooler which is covering whole IHS. Many brands released standard coolers with TR mounting kit and then temps are much worse.

You are gonna need some of those 350W+ heat removers for these guys lol.

I was checking my 1920 with these coolers. I could keep it stable up to about 350W at reasonable temps so ~4.1GHz under full load. For me interesting is what temps will have these processors on already the best air/AIO coolers. My point is that TR is specified to run at up to 68°C... any TR from 1st generation will reach 60°C+ on stock settings under load on the best coolers. In my tests it was 60-67, depends on the cooler ( Enermax and Noctua only ).

I wish to play one of those 32 cores but I'm not sure if I will ever do that. New CPU will be too expensive as a toy and I'm not expecting to see many used 32 cores in couple of years ... if I keep the motherboard so long.

Last edited:
$1850 USD? Yeah...time to sell the CH Hero VI/1600X Combo I currently have at 4GHz

Now I gotta build my 3rd personal use system of the year and it's not even September yet. I haven't built 3 (personal use) comps in a year in over a decade.

I went from an Athlon XP to C2D to C2Q to another C2Q within a year once. Nice to see CPUs are going places again.

- - - Auto-Merged Double Post - - -

You gotta pay to play.

Why would you cripple it with 32GB RAM? This isn't some cheapie Intel CPU with an artificial maximum limit of 32 GB... This CPU deserves 128 GB, at least.

Enermax has a 280 mm AIO for the 'Ripper that gets very good reviews. Of course, that was before the new monster.

I'm going to get the 360mm Enermax since I've seen some pretty favorable reviews of it

Aye. I'm going the 360mm Enermax route since it's made specifically for TR4 pr0cs. Reviews seem favorable, and TBH I think the Corsair 360 (150 pro) is a bit too thin for my liking, though it does well enough with my 2700X

I went from an Athlon XP to C2D to C2Q to another C2Q within a year once. Nice to see CPUs are going places again.

- - - Auto-Merged Double Post - - -

Back in the late 90's I used to upgrade every other month. I think the most systems (personal use) I made in 1998 was like 6 or 7 because the K6-2 and K6-3 and the PII and CeleronA's were being released seemingly every month.

Why would you cripple it with 32GB RAM? This isn't some cheapie Intel CPU with an artificial maximum limit of 32 GB... This CPU deserves 128 GB, at least.

I was basing those specs on a release date of yesterday. Since the release date is rumored to be the 13th I have another payday before the 13th so I will be getting 64GB minimum

Scratch the Enermax.

Going to go custom loop (soft tube) and use the EK-FB ASUS X399 GAMING RGB Monobloc for the CPU/VRMs. Now I gotta decide what fittings I need, res, Rad size (which will determine) the case...

*sigh*

It's a slippery slope your playing on when you decide to play ……. one decision and your fall deeper into the money pit. Should be a nice build.

I need to start saving ... I've been doing a lot of rather intensive calculations lately and a 32 core machine with 96 to 128 GB RAM under my desk would come in very handy indeed...

Back