• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

AMD Threadripper 32 cores listed and spotted

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Awh thanks notarat, how did you know that's exactly what I wanted for my birthday?! But it's missing a cpu block :p

What's are favorite saying here?

"Why does practical matter?" or some variant to it. lol

So the 2990X hit 5.1GHz (all cores) on LN2 and scored 7618 Cinebench...nice

I don't know the temps of the 128 gigs of ram in my 1950x rigs, but you can bet when these cpu's release I'll have 2 and go to ram watercooling.
as it stands, to the touch, after 24 hours the ram sticks are hot to the touch when rendering.

Well, dad, you're probably give it more thrashing than prime95:D no doubt it's glowing!

I'm still planning on getting one. I just need to re-design my build since I have decided on the MSI X399 MEG Creation board instead of the Zenith Extreme. (Card with 4 SSD mounts versus 2 on the Asus)

If you get 4 M.2 PCIe SSD and set them in RAID then please share the results as I have really mixed feelings about how it works on my setup. If you get 5+ then I'm even more curious. Personally, I would say that more than 2 is waste of money.

I don't know the temps of the 128 gigs of ram in my 1950x rigs, but you can bet when these cpu's release I'll have 2 and go to ram watercooling.
as it stands, to the touch, after 24 hours the ram sticks are hot to the touch when rendering.

64GB close to the heatsinks with only Noctua cooler on the CPU had up to 50-55°C. I guess that with any airflow which is gathering hot air from RAM, it will be below ~60-65°C. Max temp for constant work is ~85°C but recommended is of course lower.
I think you can read memory temp in hwinfo64 or AIDA64. Many memory modules have thermal sensors. For some reason nearly all early DDR4 had thermal sensors while now many don't have it.

Many memory modules have thermal sensors. For some reason nearly all early DDR4 had thermal sensors while now many don't have it.

Like so many things, it probably comes down to cost. A few cents saving on the BOM can turn into $ at retail.

I can only tell you that so far all memory kits based on Micron IC that I has a chance to test, had thermal sensors as I remember and these are usually in the cheapest memory kits. For some reason the most expensive kits at high frequency often don't have it or it doesn't work.
Thaiphoon Burner shows thermal sensor type but even if it shows it then it doesn't mean it works.

Sounds like an exercise for another thread, to look at what modules, with what chips, if they do or don't have working sensors.

Back