• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

FRONTPAGE AMD Unveils 5.0 GHz FX Processor

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
What is also curious to me is, some boards, as noted by the AMD guru's here, really can't handle such clocks. So what if Joenoclue goes and buys one of these and drops it in a $100 mobo without the power phasing to support it well? 200W TDP is ludicrous.

What is also curious to me is, some boards, as noted by the AMD guru's here, really can't handle such clocks. So what if Joenoclue goes and buys one of these and drops it in a $100 mobo without the power phasing to support it well? 200W TDP is ludicrous.

I'm guessing *pop* and that foul smelling smoke. ;)

Most of the low end boards already throttle the CPU in that situation E_D. So it' either not work at all, Just work half a**ed or we'll have popcorn nite at the movies. :popcorn:

Rumor has it the base clock is around 4.8. but who knows for sure, could be wrong. Still its nice to see that AMD is trying to be competitive.

I think with leaking information a month ago and now finally unveiling the processor on their website, it will be available to the public. AMD's flagship product: not for sale?

if the 8350 i have now will run 5.0 24/7 why would i trade for that?
I know it's marketing the brand but a binning and name change ?????
my 8350 is far enough behind intel I don't have to get a 9000 cpu to prove i'm an idiot.

I say good for them!

5ghz is still quite an achievement, and to offer that at stock clocks is very impressive, even if it is just @ turbo :thup:

if the 8350 i have now will run 5.0 24/7 why would i trade for that?
I know it's marketing the brand but a binning and name change ?????
my 8350 is far enough behind intel I don't have to get a 9000 cpu to prove i'm an idiot.

That is exactly why. These are better binned, so they probably have a better absolute top end. It's more for marketing. A handful of people will buy these, reach some higher levels of overclocking than we are currently able to do, and a few tech articles will get written. Mostly marketing, but hey, it's something to talk about until the next release!

TWKR was a very specially binned quad-core Deneb chip, designed for nothing other than to be tortured under sub-zero conditions and set frequency records. Unless I'm mistaken, it was the first chip to be overclocked under liquid helium.

I wonder if they will make it like the TWKR? In limited quantities and extremely high price?

TWKR was a very specially binned quad-core Deneb chip, designed for nothing other than to be tortured under sub-zero conditions and set frequency records. Unless I'm mistaken, it was the first chip to be overclocked under liquid helium.

earthdog TWKR?

Seems Hokie already got to it but here is a link too http://www.legitreviews.com/article/1009/ http://www.overclockersclub.com/reviews/amd_twkr_edition_cpu_preview/5.htm

I also believe they were high quality 955's top pick chips that could at least do 100-200mhz better on air.
Couldn't really buy them easily and those that were sold were dang expensive.

Very interested in how this turns out. I imagine some motherboards not able to run the chips due to power availability and these being quite pricey.

I also see the heat generated from these causing them not to be too popular or requiring great heatsinks for the overclockers.

-Offtopic is it just me or is the 5.0GHz processor misleading? Sure it's 5.0 turbo but that isn't its stock clock.

Interesting read on the twkr processor. Looks like they reached 6.583 ghz for a cpu z screenshot before it bluescreened!

Cant believe it, that's a collectors item right there.

Perhaps this cpu will be released to oem, like the 970T, or other zosma core chips, but I'm hoping they provide a retail package for the rest of us.

Last edited:
Back