• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

FRONTPAGE AMD Unveils 5.0 GHz FX Processor

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
So it looks like the bottom line will be...... "We made it... but you can't buy it."

What the heck is the point of that?

Heh, a lot of what AMD is doing these days seems to be more "hey, we're still here!" than anything else. Other than continuing to push the APU side, they don't have a new architecture ready on either the CPU or the GPU side and can't come up with anything new until they're finished. Without that, there's only so much you can do to stay in the public eye. I expect good things from them, especially on the GPU side when the time comes, but until then we'll unfortunately keep seeing stuff like this (for instance the "new" HD 7990 that had been out for months already).

I've got to hand it to them though, it's all just relevant enough to be worth posting about. :)

Wow. If AMD wants to bother putting the effort into making this thing and then doesn't even make it available, that's failing on a whole new level.

If this is all hype over a CPU I can't even buy, it's hardly worth talking about and is one sad publicity stunt.

Well, I don't think they're putting effort into making it, they're putting effort into binning it. There's no difference between this and an FX-8350 besides clockspeed and TDP. As far as I can tell, these are just the best of the best FX-8350s, with their model # changed.

Heh, a lot of what AMD is doing these days seems to be more "hey, we're still here!" than anything else.

Totally agree, which is odd and really is sort of unnecessary on their part when talking about this target market. The enthusiasts buying AMD still like me already get that we aren't trying to compete with Intel. AMD has been embraced the same way Lotus is in car circles- it's not about the raw performance numbers, it's enjoying a slightly quirky set of traits. This sort of thing just reminds everyone that they want to compete but aren't.

My take on this is that AMD doesn't want to put this on store shelves as some (or most) motherboards won't support the stock power draw. They don't want to have problems with users dropping this in a budget board and the thing catches fire instantly. System integrators (or boutique PC builders, as Hokie puts it) will use these chips in high-end systems that use higher-end boards and water cooling anyway.

It is funny seeing AMD ramp up the clock speed, but if they can do it then all the more power to them. It will be interesting to see how much going to 28nm will help with power conservation. The Jaguar apu is 28nm so Microsoft and Sony must have thought it was worthwhile enough to go with AMD this round.

Well, I don't think they're putting effort into making it, they're putting effort into binning it. There's no difference between this and an FX-8350 besides clockspeed and TDP. As far as I can tell, these are just the best of the best FX-8350s, with their model # changed.

I agre 100%. Even the current 8350 has a huge thermal output when going over the 5.0 frequency.
If anything the newer procs with possibly some process improvements should actually put out less heat at the same frequencies. The sample I have needs nearly 1.6v_core to be stable at 4.9. I'm fairly certain I could just throw one into the Sabretooth and be off and running.

Yes but...

I agre 100%. Even the current 8350 has a huge thermal output when going over the 5.0 frequency.
If anything the newer procs with possibly some process improvements should actually put out less heat at the same frequencies. The sample I have needs nearly 1.6v_core to be stable at 4.9. I'm fairly certain I could just throw one into the Sabretooth and be off and running.

Yes but we have to remember that the 5.0Ghz turbocore frequency is only using 4 cores. Not 8 like so many of us push the speed up and then turn on ALL 8 cores at the same time. In the case of the 6 core processor it will have only 3 cores running at the full on 4.9Ghz

If I read the front page correctly, AMD has not stated the default speed yet so we have no idea what it will be only what the tuborcore with only half the cores on will be.

If we actually ran the FX processors as designed, they would not run so hot. But being and doing as we do...well they are great current consumers and heat generators.
RGone...

If I read the front page correctly, AMD has not stated the default speed yet so we have no idea what it will be only what the tuborcore with only half the cores on will be.

Yes, that is correct; they haven't elaborated further.

Now that is funny as hale. Hehehe. They don't need to only breed them they need to mutate them with something that has some IPC
RGone...:bang head:bump:

You said a mouthful right there Gonester

Back