• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

FRONTPAGE AMD Unveils 5.0 GHz FX Processor

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
I wonder how much they retail for.

The current price competes against the 3570K, which it matches up against relatively well. If it jumps over the $300 mark then it will be competing against 3/4770K CPUs and that will be a losing battle.

So I bet you that there will be two more added to the FX-9000 series. I would also bet that they will be called the FX-99XX and FX-97XX.

And who really wants to bet that the FX-99XX will have a base clock of 5.0 GHz?

c_d, that's a good summary for these new releases. Intel wasn't worried when AMD released the first 8 core desktop chip, and they aren't worried now. The Ghz race was over long ago.

Nice... 4.7 base, 5.0 turbo.

You'll probably find these tricking down to ebay or other sites, like the 970T or 960T.

Well there's one good thing that comes with AMD's decision to keep these with the OEM's only. The temptation to get one!

c_d, that's a good summary for these new releases. Intel wasn't worried when AMD released the first 8 core desktop chip, and they aren't worried now. The Ghz race was over long ago.

Nice... 4.7 base, 5.0 turbo.

You'll probably find these tricking down to ebay or other sites, like the 970T or 960T.

Was the 960T not a full release model? Shoot, now I really hate myself for not buying one when Amazon had them priced the same as my 965's for a couple weeks back when.

Was the 960T not a full release model? Shoot, now I really hate myself for not buying one when Amazon had them priced the same as my 965's for a couple weeks back when.

Yes and no. Initially, the 960T was quietly introduced and shipped only with OEM systems. Much later, AMD eventually made boxed release, I'd imagine, to get rid of the remaining stock and it was only then that found their way to amazon/newegg. Check out AMD Zosma core on cpu world for more info.

Perhaps they will do the same with this processor? Only time will tell.

Yes i know, just think of the VRM Section needed ED!! AJ. :shrug: :facepalm:

Just looking at my list of top AMD Motherboards most are TDP 140 TOPS!! So are we going to see a New AMD Motherboard that supports 240 Watts TDP? :shrug:

Last edited:
That's because the 140w mark was as high as AMD got, so there wasn't any way or reason to claim higher.
Any motherboard that can oc an FX with a voltage bump can do more than 140w.

save your money buy an 8350 with a decent board and a good cooler and you can overclock the 8350 to 5.0 without any drawbacks on not getting the 9590

I meant any FX in general, but the FX8xxx series really since that is what Gealli mentioned. I think he has one hell of a CPU to be doing that on a H100i... then again AMD is not my thing so... I could be wrong.

The 9000-series still need some serious cooling, at 220W TDP it's one hell of a hot chip. :eek:

all the 9000 series chips are rebranded 8350s they just picked the better ones relidded them as 9590s and changed the stock clocks. my 8350 uses the same voltages as the 9590s at 5.0. and yes this would require some good cooling the h100i is not to be considered a very serious cooler

Some of the AIO's are decent coolers tho. Not nearly a true WC but will help with these chips. My chip isn't the best for heat it takes lots of volts for just about any setting. That being said the TT cooler I'm using could hold it a 63c when pumping 1.58v into the CPU under P95.
Just out of curiosity I checked HWbot and it doesn't look like anyone took the bait on the 9590 or it's little brother. I wanted to see if people had really pushed any of them yet. I figure my chip will probably **** higher when I get the heat under control!

I expected this chip to show up in HWBot... It is a high-leakage chip and I'm guessing it would do good under LN2, as TWKR did. No new OC records yet? :shrug:

Back