• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

amd vs intel overclocking

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

dumbfish

ok so i have a overclocked amd
being noob to intel what would i need to know about them?
are some intel chips locked?
what are the differences between overclocking them?

All Intel P4's have locked multipliers. Im not sure about Mobile Pentium 4's im sure they dont have locked multipliers. Bassically to overclock an Intel, I beleive you just get some really really really expensive ram and overclock the crap out of the FSB. You dont usually go over 1.7vcore with an Intel though, I dont think they can handle it.

Although, dont trust anything I have said here becuase afterall my name is not
"!ntel0Cer"
so I would probably wait for an Intel expert to come.

@md0Cer said:
All Intel P4's have locked multipliers. Im not sure about Mobile Pentium 4's im sure they dont have locked multipliers. Bassically to overclock an Intel, I beleive you just get some really really really expensive ram and overclock the crap out of the FSB. You dont usually go over 1.7vcore with an Intel though, I dont think they can handle it.

Although, dont trust anything I have said here becuase afterall my name is not
"!ntel0Cer"
so I would probably wait for an Intel expert to come.

You can use the same ram. Intels run fine out of sync. I'm using some Corsair PC3500 at 3:2 (need to vmod for more then 2.8 volts to do 5:4) and it runs fine. With slower ram its all about the timings just like AMD. In fact, this is the same ram I ran my Athlon with:)

As for overclocking an Intel its best to browse the Intel forums. Theres much better Intel specific info there then here. Try a search there, ask questions, whatever. Just don't come off like a jerk (i.e. don't be a trolling AMD fanboy) and you'll get more info then you ever wanted.

ok and how high can you go with the temp?
i mean what is the max like amd is 60 c?

dumbfish said:
omg i can go 80c on intel chips???????????

I think mord meant the ATHLON XP. He mentioned XP.

I think the max temp for Intel cpus is aroudn 55-60.

Hmm...I can't even overclock my AMD Duron processor 70mhz without my system freezing when the CPU temp hits 107F. I've had much better results from overclocking intel processors.

have a mod move this to the intel forums. Or just start a new thread there like what was said erlyer u will get more info then u could ever use

DEAR GOD! Don't ever let your Intel get to 80°c, less you want to see what a PILE od silicon looks like. lol

60°c MAX if you want any life out of your chip. And I mean like you should only ever see it that high if your Priming and blowing hot air into the fan.

Realisticly for an Intel you don't want to see constant temps over 50°c for any reason. My rig runs at 12°c~18°c idle / 26°c~31°c load right now, of coarse it's in my basement. When it was in my living room I was averaging like 22°c idle ~ 47°c load (folding & Prime). There is a wealth of info on here and alot of smart overclockers. Read and ask, preferabley in that order so you don't get yelled at..lol

Yea, I would be weary of a temp over 55 C or so. Assuming you have adequate cooling and don't excessively overvolt your cpu you shouldn't hit this though.

It depends a lot on how you are reading temps too. 60 degrees C on an ASUS board isn't very good, but 60 degrees C on an Abit board is fine due to the way the temps are taken. The diode that Abit uses is going to read much higher, thus your Asus at 60 degrees C is probably more like 70 degrees C or higher.

People don't like diodes as they read high, but I believe they are actually in the chip and you aren't going to get a better temp reading than in the actual chip.

Check out the motherboard section for temp readings and your particular motherboard.

No chip should ever be run at 80 degrees C for an extended period of time, not even a Prescott. As a rule of thumb I keep my chips below 60 degrees (I almost always use Abit mobos and don't have a Prescott).

Back