• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

AMD Wraith cooler?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

ssjwizard

Has slightly less legible writing than Thideras
So I am planning a budget ryzen build in kind of an odd ball of a case. I am considering using the stock cooler, but noise levels are very important to me, so how loud is the wraith cooler included with the CPU?

http://www.relaxedtech.com/reviews/amd/wraith-cooler/2

looks like its fairly good for a stock cooler.

*Double posted
That's the old wraith cooler for FX and A10.

OP was talking about the milled block of aluminum that is called the wraith spire (factory cooler for the Ryzen 7 1700… with purdy LED lights!).

It isn't great, but works if you are waiting on a cooling bracket. I managed to hit 3.7ghz on mine, others topped out ~3.6ghz.

Ya sounds like it might be viable for a bit for me, but in the long run if I dont go full custom water Ill definitely be getting a decent silentish cooler that fits with the theme of my next build.

If you are doing it for the heat/overclocking, that's one thing. If you are looking at stock to 3.6-3.7gjz, that wraith cooler is really all you need. It's really quite at stock. Not like the old AMD coolers.

I find it interesting that purely from a gamer's perspective, the "value" tables have now been reversed. i5/i7 Kaby Lake is now the best bang for the buck. Of course, we shall have to see if that remains true when AMD releases the lower core count Ryzens (supposedly sometime this month).

The R5s should be most interesting....

They shouldn't need much to cool them and they are very cost efficient!

That's the old wraith cooler for FX and A10.

OP was talking about the milled block of aluminum that is called the wraith spire (factory cooler for the Ryzen 7 1700… with purdy LED lights!).

It isn't great, but works if you are waiting on a cooling bracket. I managed to hit 3.7ghz on mine, others topped out ~3.6ghz.

My bad didnt realize they had an updated one :shrug:

I find it interesting that purely from a gamer's perspective, the "value" tables have now been reversed. i5/i7 Kaby Lake is now the best bang for the buck. Of course, we shall have to see if that remains true when AMD releases the lower core count Ryzens (supposedly sometime this month).

Considering the clock speeds from Ryzen so far I don't see them doing much damage to my Skylake for gaming, let alone a 7700k. They may reclaim their "value" title but I don't think they'll beat the 'Lakes.

Considering the clock speeds from Ryzen so far I don't see them doing much damage to my Skylake for gaming, let alone a 7700k. They may reclaim their "value" title but I don't think they'll beat the 'Lakes.

I agree with you as far as the CPU goes but I think the $ saved getting a r5+b350 vs 7600k + z270 . Will mean more $ to spend on a GFX card and I think you will net more FPS in the end with a r5 1600 + 1080 vs 7600k+1070.

Yes, but my display is 1080p. My 1070 plays my games at well over 100 fps, so the extra performance from my CPU is useful over a much broader spectrum than a GTX 1080 would be. That logic would probably be sound up to at least 1440p, as well.

Yes, but my display is 1080p. My 1070 plays my games at well over 100 fps, so the extra performance from my CPU is useful over a much broader spectrum than a GTX 1080 would be. That logic would probably be sound up to at least 1440p, as well.
1440p is where games start becoming GPU bound and not CPU bound. To me, there is a point where the CPU isn't important in 1080p. That's my crappy monitor's refresh rate [emoji14]

So far I have been very happy with my system. Games that would choke my FX8320E no longer choke (looking at you eternal crusade). The GPU is more of a lateral upgrade from the 780 I had, but now I have more than double the VRAM which allows me to set some games to much higher settings (looking at you mankind divided...). My free copy of Doom ran on ultra buttery smooth. I'm quite happy with they system. I never have to worry about background programs running, cause I have 8 CPU cores.

The best part is I get to keep my AMD fanboy cred... After all my last Intel desktop CPU was a 1.3ghz Celeron back in 2003 [emoji14]

Yeah, the Ryzen is definitely no slouch. Back OT, I like the cooling situation that seems to be the norm for the 17xx R7s. Stock coolers allowing for the max OC the chip is capable of is great. I'm thinking the potential for getting more people to OC if they don't have to jump through the cooling hoops they did with FX or Kaby Lake. I may start saving for another build just so I can play with one. :thup:

Yeah, the Ryzen is definitely no slouch. Back OT, I like the cooling situation that seems to be the norm for the 17xx R7s. Stock coolers allowing for the max OC the chip is capable of is great. I'm thinking the potential for getting more people to OC if they don't have to jump through the cooling hoops they did with FX or Kaby Lake. I may start saving for another build just so I can play with one. :thup:
Stock cooler doesn't mean max OC on air. The best I think you can get from it is 3.7ghz and I only hit that cause I can run stock voltage to get there. My 212 has alot more temperature headroom, but I don't want to fight unstable bios to push it more. Waiting to buy my water block and hopefully will have a more stable bios by then. Things just seem to act funny, plus randomly when recovering from a crash my 'stable' ram decides it's randomly not stable. Everything works great as it is set right now, so gonna wait for a bit @ 3.7ghz. the 212 Evo keeps load temps down to 60C which is nice and cool.

Back