• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Amd x4 630

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

BladeMaster

Registered
got my pc overclocked to 3.4 and its nice and stable any suggestions on how to get it higher

running aftermarket cpu cooler so heat is no issue case is antec 900 with gtx 285 installed
mem timings are 8:8:8:24 cr is 1t havent been able to fins option to change this

mem voltage is at 1.65
nb is also overvolted

should i call this good or just keep going stock was 2.8

Attachments

• scrren.png
    scrren.png
    482 KB · Views: 74
Please disable core unlocker. Your core temps are showing "0" degrees and that usually means core unlocker is enabled. It messes with the reading of the core temps and they are the critical ones. You have no cores to unlock anyway with that CPU.

Also, please include CPU-z tabs: "Memory" and "SPD" with your "CPU" tab pic. You left out a lot of info we need to help you.

Finally, please crop your pics before attaching them. The relevant images are so small you can't read the values, at least not on a 19" monitor. Windows Accessories Snipping Tool is great for this.

I am unsure of what you mean by disabling core unlocker
but i have got the new pics to go with this post

Attachments

• Capture2.PNG
    Capture2.PNG
    36.4 KB · Views: 65
  • Capture3.PNG
    Capture3.PNG
    34.2 KB · Views: 59
  • Capture.PNG
    Capture.PNG
    47.3 KB · Views: 59
Last edited:
nvm got the core unlocker diabled heres new screen shot of hardware monitor

Attachments

• Capture4.PNG
    Capture4.PNG
    33.1 KB · Views: 67
I see some definite problems:
1. Look at the "Maximum Bandwidth" information in the CPU-z "Memory" Tab. You are trying to run the memory much faster than what it's rated for. This is not really 1333 mhz memory, it is really 1066 mhz memory that supposedly will do 1333 mhz if the timings are relaxed. Do you know about memory timings? Anyway, your are running the memory at over 1600 mhz! Note that CPU-z reports the memory frequency at half of what its DDR3 transfer rate is because it reports it in terms of is DDR bus frequency.
2. Your HT Link speed has gotten out of control. Stock is 2000 mhz. CPU-z is showing over 2400 mhz. That's an instant blue screen of death waiting to happen.

What you need to under stand is that your CPU is not a "black edition" CPU. You cannot overclock it with the CPU multiplier which has a ceiling of 14x in this case. You must resort to raising the CPU Frequency in order to overclock. This is also known as the front side bus (fsb) and HT Reference. It is the "master" frequency of the system. All the other frequencies are slaves and tuned to it: Memory frequency, HT Link frequency and the NB frequency. So, when you increase the CPU frequency these other three will increase along with it. What happens is these "slave" frequencies are soon carried to levels they are not capable of doing and the system becomes unstable. Therefore, the slave frequencies must be adjusted as you overclock the CPU frequency to compensate for this.

Having said all that, the next question is does your motherboard have the capability in bios to manipulate these settings. It is an "LE" (limited edition) so I'm not sure if that is good or bad in this regard.

Here's what you need to do:
1. Adjust the starting memory frequency to 800 mhz. (Which would be 400 in your bios). Right now you have it starting at 666/1333 mhz it looks like.
2. Lower the HT Link frequency to 1600 mhz (might be expressed as a multiplier so put it to 8x if so).
3. Lower the NB frequency to 1800 mhz. or 9x.

Repost with the same three CPU-z screenshots so we can check the effect of the adjustmemts.

Attachments

• Problems.JPG
    Problems.JPG
    106.9 KB · Views: 58
Last edited:
By the way, In HWMonitor your CPU temp is either TMPIN0 or TMPIN1. If you have a good aftermarket cooler it is most likel TMPIN1.

the info i have found on that memory it is actually rated to be overclocked to 1600 according to ocz
i believe i do have the options in my bios to adjust ht freq as well as nb i will try to lower those based on your recommendations i am currently not having any stability issues but i havent run my torture test with new setting for 3.4 ghz
ran prime 95 for 12+ hrs at 3.2 no problems or errors i just want to get more which is why i have bumped it to 3.4
just a side note with prime 95 running i havent hit over 54 degrees

new pics with adjusted speeds will run torture test on sunday night for 9-10 hrs and post results

Attachments

• Capture.PNG
    Capture.PNG
    49.9 KB · Views: 58
  • Capture2.PNG
    Capture2.PNG
    44 KB · Views: 56
  • Capture3.PNG
    Capture3.PNG
    15.2 KB · Views: 57
Last edited:
Well, we'll set the memory capability question aside for now. It is possible that CPU-z is wrongly reporting the maximum bandwidth of the product and I do note the "1600" in the product model number. It is also true that most Athlon IIs won't be stable when the memory is set to 1600 mhz because he IMC (integrated memory controller) is only rated at 1333 mhz. But if it's stable it's stable. Some chips will be better than others in the same product line model. But if you encounter instability as you progress in your overclock then this is something you should keep in mind. You also need to realize that when you were stable under stress testing at 3.2 ghz your memory frequency was lower than it is now because your CPU reference (fsb) was lower. My strong suggestion is that you lower the memory speed, at least temporarily, until you find what the maximum overclock of the CPU itself is. As it is now your instability at 3.4 could be caused by excessive memory bandwidth overloading the ICM. So I still recommend setting the memory speed back to at least 666/1333 for the time being. I ran an overclocked Athlon II 630 for two years and found it would do 1500 mhz on the memory just fine but not 1600.

All your other settings in CPU-z look under control now.

Last edited:
Ok i have raised the overclock to 3.5 ghz
ht link is at 2000 mhz
as well as the north bridge
should i lower the nb multiplier to get a higher overclock?
what is the max someone has hit with this chip keeping it 100% stable?
will be running prime 95 tonight for extended period of time
did a run of it just over 2 hrs at the settings for 3.4 ghz with no errors so i think i should be ok for now at 3.5 just wondering what the next good step would be to go higher

I found that 3.5 was the sweet spot for my AII 630 and it was stable at 1.4125 CPU volts, 1.225v/2500mhz for the CPUNB, 2000 mhz for the HT Link, 1333 mhz/1.55v for the ram, and 250 mhz for fsb. I could get to 3.6 ghz stable with 1.485 vcore but I didn't want to run it 24/7 with that much vcore just to get .1 ghz more CPU speed.

Had to drop ht link at 3.5 got blue screens also dropped mem down to 533 cpu voltage is set to 1.5 here are new pics of cpuz as i said will run prime tonight for extended period and see what happpens

Attachments

• Capture3.PNG
    Capture3.PNG
    47.2 KB · Views: 53
  • Capture2.PNG
    Capture2.PNG
    43.6 KB · Views: 52
  • Capture.PNG
    Capture.PNG
    49.8 KB · Views: 50
  • Capture4.PNG
    Capture4.PNG
    25.3 KB · Views: 51
It's easy to confuse the chipset "NB" with the CPUNB and many bioses use "NB" to refer to both. It's the CPUNB that you want to overvolt to about 1.225. The chipset NB has to do with the PCIe bus and the onboard video. It's usually necessary to overvolt the CPUNB to get a good overclock and when the CPUNB is given a little extra voltage it sometimes allows you to get away with less CPU voltage. The CPUNB has to do with the memory controller; it's built into the CPU die these days.

ok i have done some adjustments still at 3.5 with cpu volt at 1.5 mem timing tightened to 7 7 7 24 volt at 1.65 running at 533
ht link 1750
nb at 2000

tried to run prime 95 made it 30 mins then the 4th worker hit an error any suggestions?

No. And I personally wouldn't volt it any higher. That chip is no cherry but I think your mobo may be holding you back.

got it good and stable at 3.4 ran prime 95 10+ hrs no error now i will drop my voltages as low as i can with out changing any other speeds rather have volts a little lower

c2 stepping was never that great once you get over 3.4ghz, they get juicy.
I gave my 630 death though and it survived.

will post final results in about a week or so thanks for all the info very helpful

Got The Cpu Voltage Down To 1.48 Any Lower And I Get BSOD So Here Is Where It Stays.
Looks Like 3.43 Ghz Is My Magic Number Attached Pics Of Final Overclock As Well As Prime 95 Run

Attachments

• Capture.PNG
    Capture.PNG
    17.3 KB · Views: 41
  • Capture2.PNG
    Capture2.PNG
    43.4 KB · Views: 40
  • Capture3.PNG
    Capture3.PNG
    47.2 KB · Views: 40
  • Capture4.PNG
    Capture4.PNG
    26.6 KB · Views: 39
  • scrren.png
    scrren.png
    22.6 KB · Views: 40
now i am having an issue with my video card when playin games its almost like its not keeping up and game gets choppy or freezes should i overclock my pci xpress as well?

Back