• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

AMD Zen Will Compete Favorably with Intel

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
i keep thinking a dual core with smt and a good IGP will make a killer HTPC box. if your like me use your main rig for encoding videos..

The nice thing about cluster based mutli-threading is the use of x86 cores (no software needed) actual hardware.

So if we where to look at the FX-8 core processor and call it a quad with CMT vs and 8 core cpu, it would be seen as a quad with Multi-threading capability. But since it uses actual hardware cores, it's an 8 core cpu. Which is interesting for the design. It's a quad/octo threader. One thread does not gain more over another while active. Certain boards and bios require the proper settings to turn off every other core in each cluster while no gains are to be had.

Keeps the design, adds 8 more cores and a better architectural layout. Implements SMT and wait for ZEN.

Optomized correctly and it does. The real issue though for the CMT FX processors was not the throughput of the INT or FP, it was the fetcher and uOP-decoder. AMD still has a lot to catch up in this field (at least from Piledriver perspective). I need to re-read my notes again, but if I remember correctly the front end downfall was its shortcoming in prediction. There was a nice test that someone put together in a script that rated front end throughput over the program's life when using a Piledriver. It was found that there was a learning curve to multi-threaded operations. The Piledriver took a couple of tries before it started to properly predict, but could easily lose its high prediction rate if a change it did not expect occurred.

Pretty much a high penalty low latency front end. Gamble on common threads receiving good predictions and than speed up the pipeline. It was the P4 all over again.

A lot of that front end was cut with the transistor count.

150,000,000 mil per x86 core FX Bulldozer (total 1,200,000,000).
189,500,000 per X86 core Phenom K10 (total 463,000,000).

Hazwell/Ivy Bridge quad is some 1.40 Billion.

This smaller amount of transistors plays a good role here. Typically when a core shrinks, you can add transistors. AMD made a step backwards here, while FPU was being blamed. While the FPU does hold truth to it's short comings, it wasn't the only flaw in the hardware design.

We should see a jump in transistor count. The super shrink from 32nm to 14F should accommodate the room for more.

I'm geared up for some releases. However I don't wan't to test an 8 core or an APU. They should just release the monster 16 core right from the start (if available on desktop platforms.)

Im ready to start seeing some benchmarks. Zen has been in the back of my mind since 2015 and its 40% better claim.

However, ive heard that they are likely delayed until 2017? Anyone heard/read anything? As far as i know, officially they are still looking at this year....

Last edited:
It'll really depend on how hard they pull power again. If they don't pull much it'll be cheaper boards mostly recommended.

Mass production aimed for Q4, does that mean the release will be in Q4 or that's just when they'll be filling the warehouses in PREPARATION for the release? I certainly hope we can expect a release before Q1 or 2 2017. I'm itching to grab a Zen CPU and see if Team Red's finally stepping back up to the plate...

It'll really depend on how hard they pull power again. If they don't pull much it'll be cheaper boards mostly recommended.

Good point. I know it can be a little frustrating to spend $140 on a mobo that won't OC well. Seeing the Blue People buy $70 boards and go on a MHz rampage inspires no small bit of envy. LOL

i remember when amd use to have the much cheaper boards then intel and had decent->great ocing abilites. now it seems like to get a decent overclocking boards from intel you need to spend around $150ish for once, god i remember paying $100ish maybe 125 for my IP35-pro when it first came out then price dropped a bit. yea back then i had to be the first one to have one, not now lol.

Mass production aimed for Q4, does that mean the release will be in Q4 or that's just when they'll be filling the warehouses in PREPARATION for the release? I certainly hope we can expect a release before Q1 or 2 2017. I'm itching to grab a Zen CPU and see if Team Red's finally stepping back up to the plate...
Mass production means just that... they are starting to produce the CPU on a mass scale. It will not be available then.

It gives hope on keeping AMD on the market but to competition they are still missing a lot and are pretty much not existing on mobile and server markets. Good move was to make a deal with gaming console manufacturers. I guess it gives them good profit. I just hate too see them failing on new product releases. Again were late, this time with RX400 series and Nvidia was only waiting to release GTX1060 not much later. Also that pcie power issue which wasn't hard to solve.. really was so hard to fix it before premiere ? I bet they knew about it as things like that are not passing easily quality check and internal tests.

There is a chance I will get one RX480 to play with in 2-3 weeks. I'm curious what this card is offering for a less demanding gamer. Something like power/general experience and OC. I guess I'm getting old as lately I care more about lower noise than 10% higher clocks :p

I'm happy with my RX 480. At 1080p I guess I'm in the less demanding category, but for $250 it was a pretty significant upgrade from an R7 260x. It idles around 60C, but my ambient temp is pushing 33C. It tripled my Catzilla score with no other changes, at stock clocks.

Glad to also see AMD in the black they did well to market the chips for the current gen of consoles PS4 and X1, they should capitalize on that for the next gen after Scorpio and Neo consoles to keep profits up and hopefully Sony and Microsoft will continue to use them to keep console costs down.

The new CPU architecture could breathe new life in to their aging APU line up for sure. An RX/Zen chip would be big. Maybe they could raise the 30 fps limit on a lot of stuff.

The new CPU architecture could breathe new life in to their aging APU line up for sure.
It's the FX line thats aging though. Their APU line has been the most up to date CPUs they have. Carrizo has considerably better single thread performance, power management over FX as well as support for DDR4.

Back