• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

AMD Zen Will Compete Favorably with Intel

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
I can't wait to go head to head with my 5960x, if the "Zen" OC's better than my blue turd it'll be a win for sure

I can't wait to go head to head with my 5960x, if the "Zen" OC's better than my blue turd it'll be a win for sure

I just hope it competes on all fronts and not just one, which is AMD's current status quo. Admittedly the designer of them is a genius.

It should be a good apples to apples comparison. 8C, 16T ea. Should show any strong/weak points across multiple tests.

A few more months and we should know. Hopefully Lisa wasn't being optimistic with her time table

Mine wasn't even a BE. It slammed in to a wall at the above speed and no amount of voltage would budge it one more MHz. It wasn't real happy about being at 3038 MHz, either. The most I ever got stable was 2750 MHz for a daily driver. Not much but it made a noticeable improvement. I still have that chip and mobo. I'm thinking about starting my daughter's build with it and then bumping her up to a 980 BE.

I made it a bit further but it was unlocked
View attachment 179759

Wow! That's a pretty fair run on one of those chips! Nice! Mine was my first attempt at overclocking. I knew nothing except AMD had a good reputation for fun with OC, so I immediately got the worst chip they offered. :rofl: I figure if my daughter can make some progress with it then she'll be ready for the 980 BE. Carrot and stick approach to parenting and that 9850 is definitely a stick. :)

edit: Was that on ambient cooling? I don't think I've chatted with anybody who reached those numbers on a Phenom I before. That chip must been a screamer.

On chilled water. It was benchable @ 3400 (R15) on all cores and 3700 for Spi32m

Ho.Ly. Crap. I was thinking LN2 or DICE. I remember what I went through trying to get the first couple hundred MHz before I did any research (Yeah, I know better now) and there was much hair pulling. I think I can safely say your numbers are in the elite for a first gen Phenom. I may have to look you up when I go after mine again with my daughter. :thup:

Sure, the biggest problem I ran into was accurate temp reporting. Eventually I just said effit and fed it the power

485841.png

Mine clocked just fine too.

386599.png

my 9500 wasn't quite as good however.

I found out after the fact that the 9xxx Phenoms were not the best overclockers. I had a big old Zalman air cooler on it so I stopped when the temps got too high. Being my first time I didn't want to go over the max volts per AMD. Since I have a back up for it now it's a good time to see how many volts I can stuff in it. LOL

Back