• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

AMD Zen Will Compete Favorably with Intel

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
The FX chips were competitive with broadwell-e if you ignored almost every single comparison except for the heavily biased one quoted by AMD. I am hoping this isn't smoke and mirrors like normal and they actually show something competitive.

wat?

The FX chips were competitive with broadwell-e if you ignored almost every single comparison except for the heavily biased one quoted by AMD. I am hoping this isn't smoke and mirrors like normal and they actually show something competitive.

Would love to see your source here...

So you're saying that in 2012, when AMD released Piledriver FX-8350, they proactively claimed competitiveness with a CPU Intel wouldn't be releasing until four years later? :screwy:

Or maybe were you saying that AMD made these prophetic claims with the FX-62 way back in 2006, a full ten years ahead of Broadwell-E release?

So you're saying that in 2012, when AMD released Piledriver FX-8350, they proactively claimed competitiveness with a CPU Intel wouldn't be releasing until four years later? :screwy:

Or maybe were you saying that AMD made these prophetic claims with the FX-62 way back in 2006, a full ten years ahead of Broadwell-E release?

In all fairness it could've been the PR release for the newest 9xxx chip...

Those of you confused by my post re-read it, then re-read it again. There are absurdly specific situations when an FX based chips can compete with broadwell-e. So if I were to take a setup like the one listed in my signature, two 12 core AMD's compete quite well with a single 6 core broadwell-e. No idea how that huge amount of sarcasm confused people.

Again if you ignore nearly every single benchmark to exist and just use a single AMD biased one (certain video encoders would apply) then FX competes fine :bday:

Those of you confused by my post re-read it, then re-read it again. There are absurdly specific situations when an FX based chips can compete with broadwell-e. So if I were to take a setup like the one listed in my signature, two 12 core AMD's compete quite well with a single 6 core broadwell-e. No idea how that huge amount of sarcasm confused people.

Again if you ignore nearly every single benchmark to exist and just use a single AMD biased one (certain video encoders would apply) then FX competes fine :bday:

This makes sense. The initial post was a little hard to read with the time/space continuum thing going on. Piledriver wasn't a bad chip, and for the money it is a beast with multi-threaded tasks. The biggest problem (as you said) is there are specific parameters within which it shines. If you're prone to encoding and leaving 87 tabs open while you game the FX chips are the deal of the century. Sort of. Unless your game of choice isn't coded for true multi thread action. Then the higher IPC of the Intel makes more sense. If you have the money. There are scenarios where Intel turns nano seconds in to real dollars.

First it was supposedly being designed to compete with Haswell, now it's Broadwell-E? Them's some beefy claims. I'm gonna call an exaggeration ploy on this one. You don't just skip two generations of Intel ahead in the blink of an eye. Unless the Haswell claim was never meant to be concrete and was just AMD's way of throwing something to the press to shut them up.

While I recall the talk comparing Zen with Haswell, I have to ask, who said that though? I don't think it was AMD, who only really trumpeted the 40% IPC increase. There was the more recent chart suggestive of a doubling relative to whatever it was, but I think people are reading more into than what is actually said. I think everything else is speculation from those NOT in the know. Bottom line is we just don't have the information. It is still so far away references will be made to whatever is current or impending from Intel at the time of discussion.

First it was supposedly being designed to compete with Haswell, now it's Broadwell-E?

On a per core basis they're pretty much the same performance

While I recall the talk comparing Zen with Haswell, I have to ask, who said that though? I don't think it was AMD, who only really trumpeted the 40% IPC increase. There was the more recent chart suggestive of a doubling relative to whatever it was, but I think people are reading more into than what is actually said. I think everything else is speculation from those NOT in the know. Bottom line is we just don't have the information. It is still so far away references will be made to whatever is current or impending from Intel at the time of discussion.
It was a deduction/extrapolation from multiple sites due to the mentioning, by AMD, of that 40% IPC increase.

While I recall the talk comparing Zen with Haswell, I have to ask, who said that though?

It was a deduction/extrapolation from multiple sites due to the mentioning, by AMD, of that 40% IPC increase.

Yeah. A lot of sites were crunching numbers themselves and came to the conclusion a 40% IPC increase over AMD's newest CPU's would land Zen in Haswell territory. Has there been any further confirmation on AMD only releasing six and eight core CPU's for Zen and completely skipping out on quad core? I had heard that being mentioned a few times a couple of weeks back but it never surfaced again.

Yeah. A lot of sites were crunching numbers themselves and came to the conclusion a 40% IPC increase over AMD's newest CPU's would land Zen in Haswell territory. Has there been any further confirmation on AMD only releasing six and eight core CPU's for Zen and completely skipping out on quad core? I had heard that being mentioned a few times a couple of weeks back but it never surfaced again.

I'd like to see these number crunches.

Look them up. :)

For example: http://wccftech.com/amd-zen-architecture-release-schedule-revealed-rolled-server-market/

To put this massive leap in performance into perspective a 40% IPC improvement would put Zen on par with Haswell according to the aggregate single threaded PassMark database. That’s based on Steamroller CPU performance, so without even accounting for the IPC improvement with Excavator. Couple that IPC improvement with SMT support and affordable Summit Ridge 8 core CPUs that are on par with Intel’s $1000 i7 5960X Extreme CPU and you’ve got an extremely competitive product.

Back