• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

AMD

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Kitty2Kat

Registered
So is AMD/Asus now in bed with Intel? Geezee...I can't find the mobo I got on their website instead they have an Intel version of the mobo now, what a turn around, really, well heck with them, I'm using Linux on their nice red mobo.
I have the AMD/ASUS CrosshairsV/Thunderbolt Mobo and it can't be found on their website anymore, What gives??...Those Turncoats...But you can find a CrosshairsV Intel Windows 8 Version mobo, those turncoats...

It's new CrosshairsV is Maximus, but still it looks like the mobo I have but mine is not Windows 8 geared like this new Mobo is, so why did they do away with Thunderbolt? My Version is the Crosshairs V Thunderbolt rog and its red and black, yet it's not on the AMD website anymore???
Only thing different about the orignal Crosshairs V and the Thunderbolt is Thunderbolt has a soundcard. I was just wonder...Thanks...
But I'm also sick and tired that everything good gets geared for Windows, Linux ain't so bad....and it is getting more stable...
They might have made this new mobo to support the nvidia gpu.

The Crosshair series is AMD.
The Maximus series is Intel desktop market chips (LGA1156, LGA1155).
The Rampage series is Intel server market chips (LGA1366, LGA2011).

The last word, Formula or Extreme, denotes the price/features set.
There are no Crosshair Intel boards.
There are no Maximus or Rampage AMD boards.

Asus has always made AMD and Intel boards.

It's new CrosshairsV is Maximus, but still it looks like the mobo I have but mine is not Windows 8 geared like this new Mobo is, so why did they do away with Thunderbolt? My Version is the Crosshairs V Thunderbolt rog and its red and black, yet it's not on the AMD website anymore???
Only thing different about the orignal Crosshairs V and the Thunderbolt is Thunderbolt has a soundcard. I was just wonder...Thanks...
But I'm also sick and tired that everything good gets geared for Windows, Linux ain't so bad....and it is getting more stable...

i dont think the motherboard cares what operating system that you use unless there is specific bugs

So is AMD/Asus now in bed with Intel? Geezee...I can't find the mobo I got on their website instead they have an Intel version of the mobo now, what a turn around, really, well heck with them, I'm using Linux on their nice red mobo.
I have the AMD/ASUS CrosshairsV/Thunderbolt Mobo and it can't be found on their website anymore, What gives??...Those Turncoats...But you can find a CrosshairsV Intel Windows 8 Version mobo, those turncoats...
See Bobnova's explanation.

http://www.asus.com/Motherboards/AMD_AM3Plus/Crosshair_V_Formula/
edit: i dont think there is an intel crosshair v. i believe its amd specific. its called the rampage or maximus i think (intel version)
I think that's what he has, but with the combo thunderbolt sound/nic card.

They don't sell the combo anymore, so it isn't on the website. ASUS America is quick to remove last gen/end of life products from their website however if you go to the global site they usually keep everything there.

What do you mean geared for windows? Maybe Windows 8, since Microsoft decided to bend the rules a bit as far as what you can and can not do hardware wise, what kind of motherboard/CPU registers software is allowed to access.

The Crosshair series is AMD.
The Maximus series is Intel desktop market chips (LGA1156, LGA1155).
The Rampage series is Intel server market chips (LGA1366, LGA2011).

The last word, Formula or Extreme, denotes the price/features set.
There are no Crosshair Intel boards.
There are no Maximus or Rampage AMD boards.

Asus has always made AMD and Intel boards.
:D

i dont think the motherboard cares what operating system that you use unless there is specific bugs
Correct. Linux supports pretty much every x86(_64) CPU and motherboards, the only problem might be drivers for obscure parts like USB 3 controllers etc.

Bobnova,
The Asus Amd Crosshair V Formula-Z is Windows 8 ready and it has Intel gigabit Lan as well as can do either Nividia gpu or Amd Crossfire support. Go and look at their website it's on the USA and Global website, The Crosshair V formula Thunderbolt is not on either Global or USA website it may have been discontinued. So Asus/Amd has just crossed that line on their Mobo's.
I guess this is the new breaking ground, so they could pair it with nividia gpu.
Strange but true look at how they are marketing this,

Last edited:
All 990 series AMD chipsets can do Nvidia SLI.
All AMD motherboards can use at least a single Nvidia GPU. Always have been able to, probably always will.

Intel gigabit lan just means that Asus used an Intel LAN chip on the motherboard. Not surprising, as Intel makes some of the best LAN chips.

Bobnova,
The Asus Amd Crosshair V Formula-Z is Windows 8 ready and it has Intel gigabit Lan as well as can do either Nividia gpu or Amd Crossfire support. Go and look at their website it's on the USA and Global website, The Crosshair V formula Thunderbolt is not on either Global or USA website it may have been discontinued. So Asus/Amd has just crossed that line on their Mobo's.
I guess this is the new breaking ground, so they could pair it with nividia gpu.
Strange but true look at how they are marketing this,
All motherboards can run nvidia GPUs.

All 990X and 990FX from every manufacturer can run NVIDIA SLI which is 2 or more NVIDIA GPUs in tandem for gaming performance increase.

Any motherboard labeled "Windows 8 ready" is just certified by microsoft, it is a gimmick to get people to want to buy windows 8 and also something that highlight that Windows 8 is not exactly the same as Windows 7 and though it should run on 99.9% of components that run Windows 7, there is a slim chance to run into issues. "Windows 8 ready" I guess they think will not have issues. :D

There is no milestone reached here, just slapped a pretty sticker on new products and you can run Windows 8 on pretty much all AMD hardware from 2003 till now, as well as intel hardware from 2005 on.

By the way, your Crosshair V has intel gigabit lan too, but it was also bundled with the Thunderbolt card (with slightly improved audio, and the same intel NIC on the motherboard) not just the new Z version.

EDIT:
Lol, I didn't see Bobnova already answered this ><
At least I added the part about Win 8.

Back