• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

AMD64 3000+ or AMD64 3200+?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

DamienKC

Ok, I'm definetly getting an AMD64 in the next month, but I can't decide which one to choose. I want to be able to hit around 2.4ghz - 2.5ghz if possible. I know both have done it, but which does it easiar? Like, which one do I have more of a chance with? It'll be done using an XP-120 I believe.

Second part of the question, is it worth the extra $50 for the 3200+ over the 3000+?

Thanks!

DamienKC

It could be worth it depending on your ram and how high the chips go.

For example say both chips hit 2600Mhz, a very real possiblity.

The 3000 will need 260mhz HTT/FSB and unless you have very good ram that can run 1:1 you have to run async knocking mem bus speed all the way down to 215Mhz.

The 3200 will only need 236 HTT/FSB to get there and almost every decent ram can run 1:1 at decent timings at that speed.

Who knows, I would'nt pay $50 xtra only because I'm not to concerned about running 1:1 like many guys are.

I would just get a 3000+ NC for air/water cooling.

hitechjb1 said:
In general, due to the discrete nature of CPU multiplier and memory divider, it may not be possible to have both the CPU and memory being topped out simultaneously (within 1 MHz), unless the ratio of the max CPU frequency to max memory frequency is an exact integer or half integer.

For example, refer to the memory_divider table below,
assume bios only has 1:1, 5:6, 2:3 memory_FSB_ratio
NC 2800+, max multiplier = 9, memory_divider available = 9, 11, 13.5
NC 3000+/CH 3200+, max multiplier = 10, memory_divider available = 9, 10, 11, 12, 13.5, 15

So if max CPU frequency is 2600 MHz for a 3000+ NC,
max memory frequency can be 217, 236, 260, 289, ... MHz which are still quite flexible enough to achieve.

For boards that offer 9:10, 8:10 ratio such as DFI (I heard), the memroy setting would be even easier.

Relationship between CPU_memory_divider and CPU_multiplier, memory_FSB_ratio

This is my opinion so do take it for what it is worth. You are looking at 2.5 or so on air. This was unacceptable to me as I could bench fairly well with a 6800gt on the p4 at 3.65.

I would (and have one coming) get the 3000 and put it on the dfi lan party board (due to be released on the 2nd) and throw in a touch of water. This will undoubtably get 2.7ghz and maybe a touch more (am looking for 2.75). Running htt at 300 and ram at 166 (249) with 3.1v, I would be looking for stable, benchable results that are very impressive for the cost/performance ratio.

Again, this is me and I am told I am a tad abnormal. Should you be so inclined, I would avoid tecing the cpu as results are minimal on a standard tec setup over water on this cpu and tec the vid for impressive results.

so pc4000 will get a 3000+ up to 2.5ghz? That's fine, I planned on getting a stick of Kingmax TSOP for a kv8 pro. Good combo? I want to hit 2.5ghz, thats pretty much my main goal.

I just can't see anyone getting upset at buying the DFI lan party board at $129. Stability is a big problem on the 754 a64 boards. At standard settings no problem but at ocs approaching or exceeding 2.5ghz......Like beerhunter said, I would not worry about the 1:1 ratio but if the board will do it go to 9x and run a 278 or better htt at 231 fsb (166) with the tightest timings possible on the ram to partially make up for the disparety on the 1:1. This has proved very effective for me. This is not the fastest setup in the world but is pretty darn good given the single channel 512. Stock heat sink is only good for about 2.5ghz. Ram voltage on some of these boards is horribly unstable or low. My epox became a totally different board with a vdimm mod (to the tune of about 230mhz). Seems DFI has listened to oc'ers and will be releasing on the 2nd. I have one coming.

Go with the 3000+ or even the 2800+ as the point in the socket754 upgrade path is to spend less, then
a) overclock to 2.5 (on air with almost all newcastle cgs)
b) getting a new gen gpu like the x800/6800 series card

As the 3000+ ocs as good as the 3200+ there is no point in spending more money on it. Only difference is the multplier but i would not prefer the higher multi of the 3200+ as it gives you no benefit. And various Benchmarks don't indicate that 1:1 on ram is something you just can't let go of. Differences are pretty small because of the on die mem controller doing most of the work regardless of mem clocks. Thats why there is also no point in getting state of the art pc4000 or above ddr ram. :bang head :p
Use tight settings (or do not, the a64 don't care that much) and any mem divider will do better than you expect.

However thats only my humble opinion based on my expierience while playing around with my own a64-rig.

Last edited:
i just installed an xp-120 on the comp in my sig and was able to get 2.3ghz with 1.55v which i am pretty pleased with if and i am still going strong if that helps your decision any

It's a given I'm crazy SILVER but I'm starting to think the 2800+ is the best deal in your case...mine too since I'm WC.

Say we're after 2700 mhz. that's exactly 300HTT we need DFI to hit, no problem by beta accounts.

Now the memory issue again.

Have good ram. set MS to 166 = 250 mhz mem bus.

Have average ram or just like 2-2-2? Set MS to 133 = 200 Mhz

The 9 multi is opitmum for this speed (+/-50mhz) chip IMO due to ram considerations.

....course whats great is AMD allows a 3000+ and above to be a 2800..and not the other way around.

go with the 3000+. Better for the money. It doesnt mean that you can o/c further with the 3200+. don't go with the 2800+ because it's mutiplier is locked at 9. The 3000+ and above at locked at 10. I think you can o/c further with the 3000 than the 2800.

i was also looking to overclock, but not to the extent of 2.7 ghz, but could i still use pc3200 ram?

I like the 3000+ due to the 9x which will allow for my max speed on the high htt. I also have played alot with the 10x and this allows for some pretty extreme speeds up to 3ghz give or take. The same case could be made for the 3200+ however you are playing at speeds that are very extreme and the proper equipment is required. I do not have that equipment. There just are not a lot of people playing at 3.2ghz. Too expensive for this chap. Water, tecs, the 3000+ fits the bill.

Back