• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

AMD_FX_Performance_Tuning_Guide Based on the 990FX chipset

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Thanks Thick8 , we do reference it from time to time in threads but it doesn't hurt to have it hilighted here.

Again thanks Thick8...

Okay what does AMD themselves say??? is page #2 of Info & Tips >> Using the AMD FX Bulldozer/Piledriver...The link is there and next for either viewing online or for download here "next" >>>[url]http://www.amd.com/Documents/AMD_FX_Performance_Tuning_Guide.pdf

There are many points that are of value in that guide. I as most of us that have overclocked for a long time...do not use software for our overclocking. I want my system able to boot to windows with the settings I choose and overclocking from within windows does not guarantee that situation at all. So I disregard AMD AOD or software provided by the various manufacturers. IMO. [/url]

RGone...

Page 5 first picture (ln2 pot)

AMD Scorpius” AM3 platform with aggressive cooling solution has achieved record breaking results.

Software provides "record breaking results" an interesting caption indeed. I think 99% of video card overclocking comes from software.

Maybe it's not such a bad thing? :screwy:

I am very familiar with overclocking software. So much so that I know it can be used to spoof the operating system into running a benchmark at speeds and settings that are NOT bootable at all and thus something not stable for our average forum goer. Such overclocking with software can lead the less-knowledgable down a trail that is difficult to diagnose on his own.

I would suggest that your skills ShrimpBrime are rather legendary, but sadly many are not possessors of those same skills and as a whole we tend to err on the side of caution and suggest learning to walk with rudimentary overclocking skills with bios overclocking before we try and run to world records with overclocking software.

I have no issue with whatever or however anyone uses their particular skills to overclock, that is far and away their own business. However I would urge most beginners to walk not run at first. Learn the BIOS ( basic input-output system ) as one's way into the world of computers and overclocking. IMO. OMMV.

RGone...

Software on a mild low level has saved me much time avoiding restarts. Small memory tweaks, 2 bus clocks increases, tiny voltage bump increases and of course software testing running calculations over and over for hours on end as well.

No one says you gotta run off pushing limits straight out of the box be it software or bios. Most of the guys on the benching team do that kind of overclocking. I personally have always suggested small incrementally produced overclocking through the years.....

One nice thing about software, especially with my formula z is the ability to adjust vrm frquency on the fly while Not increasing overclock and restarting, the software gives chance for testing on the fly before making a permanent adjustment to bios, same holds true for memory tweaking. Still not an overclock while adjusting memory timings and drive strength on the fly, the bus and multi being left untouched basically tweaking on the fly not necessarily overclocking in the form of increasing actual mhz.

Since I was trained by many pros, software was never so much as shunned as it where in some cases the only way to do it. I remeber using setfsb and other sucb software while.inputting the correct PLL.

It seems that overclocking has been lost to just the bios, when it is in fact just a matter of preferences and I very much respect your wisdom for supporting the average user. Some of those average users turned into. Benchers and hard core addicts, something I believe we should push to increase this population.

Rig is stable at 4.8 boot from bios, but I know that software is gonna get a better score beyond the path of daily use....

After all, this is an overclocking forum isnt it? Only a few.select choose extreme and thats ok.too.

Page 5 first picture (ln2 pot)

Software provides "record breaking results" an interesting caption indeed. I think 99% of video card overclocking comes from software.

I thought it was pretty clear here we are talking CPU overclocking...There really isn't much choice on a GPU. :sly:

Theres a whole lot of cases where also includes the cpu because of board limitations.

For example, my M5A in comparison to bigger boards... Well many settings just are not available in the bios but may be seen and usable in software.

Not everyone is going to run chvz boards and sabo boards. . who knows whats locked see down in gigabyte, msi, biostop and other off beat manufacturer motherboards?

If using stricktly bios overclocking, there may be limitations without usong software, the software adds ability to accomplish personal training, software interaction, and term use.

Its interesting to overclock a limited bios. If had the choice no overclock or software only.... We'd see people overclocking.

My take.... Overclock bios only is just half the battle. Got the best board in town.... Ya thats all you need.

But I can tell you for extreme people, must look past bios. For average guy, its a fun tool to play around with.

Either way everone here has voided the warranty. Doesnt matter which way you do it.

- - - Updated - - -

I thought it was pretty clear here we are talking CPU overclocking...There really isn't much choice on a GPU. :sly:

This isnt true, theres one percent of use that are quite familiar with gpu bios overclocking. Ive done.it on many occasions. Overvolting wasnt always software driven and on many low end gpus, a bios mod is the only way or a hard mod to the pcb.

As I said.................There really isn't "MUCH" choice. Meaning, there is still another choice. Nut MOST people, even enthusiasts, tend to overclock through software on GPUs. Only the hardcore and sub-ambient crowd NEED to modify the bios on any halfway modern GPUs. Most people, even enthusiasts, shouldn't be touching the bios unless they are on water or sub ambient or have another bios to flash to. You can also flash an entire bios to get past that stuff and never touch hardware (ambient)/modding the bios, just get a new one.

Sub ambient is an entirely different ball of wax and not really part of the scope of this thread.

Last edited:
Again, its about cpus as you clearly stated. Your correct on 99%, Im not arguing that.

My main point is .... There is absolutely nothing wrong with software overclocking. Be it for daily use or fun. There are lots of.good with software overclocking. In example with cpu much like gpu, a software overclock can be preset to activate after windows is loaded. Thus leaving bios with minimal changes possible none for overclocking.

We can also assume its multiplier overclock that most users run. Thats just as simple as bios overclocking. Set your multi 4.4 ghz set 1.37850v... Run a test... Turn the clocks down to stock no restart needed.

I see nothing wrong with it.

I too find it quite useful when testing CPUs. Run a test it fails part way through bring up AISuite add a bit of magic and try again. For me it's a time saver in that respect and as S_B says it is the ONLY way to do live testing of any kind like ram tweaking with AMD OD

Back