• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Ammonium Chloride vs Copper Sulphate

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Tubesock700

Registered
So I am setting up a WC system for the first time in 6 years (had an old WC system,) and have been reading up on the famous "two-drops of PT Nuke and your good" theory. I put the PTNuke in my shopping cart at Petra's for the tune of $2.50, but then they wanted $12.00 shippng.... So I headed off to Walmart to see if they had some sort of pool cleaning solution that contained Copper Sulphate. I found some stuff that had 11% concentration but was $30.00 for a bottle that would last me forever (PT Nuke is 4%.) I saw nearby a bottle that claimed to be close to the same effectiveness, but not as good. Its "HTH Spa non-foaming algaecide" it was only $4.98 and it contains "n-alkyl dimethyl benzyl ammonium chlorides - 9.96%" and "n-Diakyl Methyl benzyl ammonium chlorides .04%" as the active ingredients. It says on the bottle "Prevents and kills all types of algae" also "Do not mix with other water treatment chemicals." And it comes in a 14 ounce bottle, but says 1 ounce will treat 390 gallons... so I have a life supply... literally.
So now my questions:

1. Do you think "do not mix with other chemicals" means anti-freeze too? (I want anti-freeze for the anti corrosion (let me know if there is a better way to prevent corrosion))
2. Any idea if these chemicals will hurt my Swiftech 655, 86 chevette HC, or my SCW-REV.A waterblock?
3. Do you think the ammonium chloride will be strong enough to keep the crawlies out?

Thank you!

Tubesock,

P.S. Never was a Biology major

I don't think it can hurt anything and you got a great handle on how much to use.
All of your parts are copper/brass/chrome so ya don't need any antifreeze you have NO corrosion issues, it actually reduces the heat carrying capacity of water. Antifreeze is an old holdover, like water wetter. Not needed if the parts are right.

I'm amazed at Petras shipping. I choose USPS and a tiny package like that is wayyy cheap, might want to check again. I'm in Vegas, they are in San Fran kinda area. Still, a bottle of PT or PHN nuke lasts a LONGGG time and it's a proven, worldwide solution. Check on shipping to make sure.

There is also a future proof option. No chemicals. Distilled and some .999 silver. Petras sells Ian's Kill coil, a small sliver coil of silver that keeps all the crawlies away. You can improvise and use any .999 silver coin etc. I stuck my kill coil in a hose, bent it a bit, it ain't goin nowhere. Lasts forever too.

Anyway, check on shipping, $12 shipping is a bit odd from them unless your outside the US.

Try aquarium stores, copper is used to kill algae and snails in aquariums.

It shouldn't be, as it renders the tank inhospitable to shrimp and such for all time, but it is :p
I think it's usually copper sulfate, most stores will have it in stock for $2-5.

1. you have all copper so no need to worry about antifreeze for corrosion as you won't have any.
2. don't know but i don't know how it would mix with tubing, though spa's and such have them...
3. if it works for pools i would think so.

as for shipping, i got 4 bottles of the stuff shipped to Canada for 14 CDN or 12 USD. so choose different shipping options.

I don't think you want anything with chlorine in it as that will react with copper, but I could be wrong.

Depends on the chlorine, well bonded chlorine won't un-bond to go after the copper.
I'd be more concerned about the tubing personally, copper pipes in houses are ok with free chlorine, but most tubing hates it (so do most rubber o-rings, for that matter).
I wouldn't use it, personally.

Depends on the chlorine, well bonded chlorine won't un-bond to go after the copper.
I'd be more concerned about the tubing personally, copper pipes in houses are ok with free chlorine, but most tubing hates it (so do most rubber o-rings, for that matter).
I wouldn't use it, personally.

Chlorine will react with copper to make copper chloride. You really don't want that in your system.

Copper sulfate or Methylene Blue is sold in most Aquarium shops to kill off (in high enough doses EVERYTHING).

Personally I would NOT add any chemicals to your system and instead look at the silver suggestion I have seen around lately.

Chlorine and Copper can make a mess of a system and chlorine is not friendly with most any tubing after a time.

You should be fine mixing the algeacide with other the other water additives because they mostly contain buffers and silicate based corrosion inhibitors.

So I headed off to Walmart to see if they had some sort of pool cleaning solution that contained Copper Sulphate.

"n-alkyl dimethyl benzyl ammonium chlorides - 9.96%" and "n-Diakyl Methyl benzyl ammonium chlorides .04%" as the active ingredients.

Copper Sulfate:
Potential Health Effects
----------------------------------

Inhalation:
Causes irritation to respiratory tract, symptoms may include coughing, sore throat, and shortness of breath. May result in ulceration and perforation of respiratory tract. When heated, this compound may give off copper fume, which can cause symptoms similar to the common cold, including chills and stuffiness of the head.
Ingestion:
May cause burning pain in the mouth, esophagus, and stomach. Hemorrhagic gastritis, nausea, vomiting, abdominal pain, metallic taste, and diarrhea may occur. If vomiting does not occur immediately systemic copper poisoning may occur. Symptoms may include capillary damage, headache, cold sweat, weak pulse, kidney and liver damage, central nervous excitation followed by depression, jaundice, convulsions, blood effects, paralysis and coma. Death may occur from shock or renal failure. Fatalities have occurred as a result of ingesting gram quantities of copper sulfate.
Skin Contact:
May cause irritation and itching.
Eye Contact:
Dust may cause irritation. Contact may cause conjunctivitis, ulceration, or clouding of the cornea.
Chronic Exposure:
Prolonged or repeated skin exposure may cause dermatitis. Prolonged or repeated exposure to dusts of copper salts may cause discoloration of the skin or hair, blood and liver damage, ulceration and perforation of the nasal septum, runny nose, metallic taste, and atrophic changes and irritation of the mucous membranes.
Aggravation of Pre-existing Conditions:
Persons with pre-existing skin disorders, impaired liver, kidney, or pulmonary function, glucose 6-phosphate-dehydrogenase deficiency, or pre-existing Wilson's disease may be more susceptible to the effects of this material.

Long chair (fatty acid derived) Ammonium Chlorides are the active ingredients in hair conditioners and fabric softeners.

Attachments

• Ammonium Chlorides.jpg
    Ammonium Chlorides.jpg
    31.9 KB · Views: 804
Back