• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

amount of ram left per application

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

WarriorLite

Hi

I have a question about the amount of memory reserved for one application in windows 7 32bit. Ableton LIve is a music program and I know my version to work reliably, unless it runs of memory. That's fair, but I would like to be able to predict the moment the crash occurs. See below for the readouts in windows 7's resource monitor. All the figures are in mb.

ableton in resource monitor
in mb
commit 1506
working 450
shareable 60
private 390

system in resource monitor
in use 2068
modified 198
standby 793
free 7mb

available 823
cached 988
total 3061
installed 4096

This is the state right before a crash I induced by adding another audio track to the project. Beyond doubt I am sure the problem is down to the amount of memory left, but what puzzles me is that none of the figures indicates the 2000 mb limit reserved by 32 bit windows. Also, it can not be the 7mb left free, because it happen to reach 0 and result in no crash at all.

Is there any alternative to windows' resource monitor which shows the amount of memory left for each application to use?

you need more memroy, no doubt about it, nothing else is going to fix this, you need a 64 bit OS. you are topped out at 3GB with 32bit even though it shows 4gb you have 3.

How did you purchase your Windows 7 key?
Some of them can be used for either 32-bit or 64-bit.

Also note, applications are limited to 2GB. Some you can set flags for to use more (3GB), but it seems that your application is wholly unaware when it is getting close to running out of memory.

(reguritated info from another member...)

Back