• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Another 3570k temps thread!!! (with an H80i)

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

supertoast92

Registered
Hello, I'll start right off the bat saying this has been an ongoing, everlasting battle between me and my PC... I'll be satisfied for awhile, then begin to question if I'm getting adequate cooling or not considering the parts I'm using, and comparing to what others are getting with the same cooler and voltage.

I'm on a 3570k right now, clocked at 4.4GHz, which seems to require 1.25V when using small-FFT stressing in Prime95. This puts me up to 80C with my H80i cooler. My ambient is on a considerably low side - 22C. Idle temps are around 35C on the hottest core.

Does this seem warm to anyone else for these settings? I am using the highest LLC setting, since it seems my board likes to drop up to 0.05V otherwise (ASUS Sabertooth Z77). Any recommendations of settings to fiddle around with? 1.25V seems to be sort of mid-of-the-road for an Ivy chip at 4.4.

Thanks for the input guys! Someone on another forum also mentioned that some batches of these chips received very poor thermal paste under the hood, which may explain my temps. I've repasted several times with several coolers (accidentally tightened down my H80i too tight a few months ago, somehow managing to choke off two of my DIMM slots, and luckily loosening it fixed that issue), and seem to get the same temps. I get a couple of degrees cooler with this Corsair compared to my TT Water 2.0 Pro cooler, but for the most part, temps are the same.

I might try bringing my LLC back down again, that may be causing some heat. I do have the spread spectrum setting disabled, and PLL voltage set to 1.70V. Not too sure what else I should mess with, if anything.

@Darknecron, that is quite impressive temp! I need close to 1.30V to get to 4.5, so I figured it isn't worth battling the heat for with my chip.

I'm sure that would help quite a bit, but I'm not sure if I'm brave enough, lol.....I would've thought this water block would do a much better job.

What's interesting is that my coolant temp seems a bit low compared to others. I'm topping out at around 34.5C after about an hour of stressing. I would think the coolant should be closer to 40C, but then again, I could be wrong...should I be expecting higher temps?

I've played around with my settings some more, and now I'm back to trying 4.5GHz again, hovering around 1.264V. I'm not convinced it's completely stable, but it hasn't crashed yet. I topped out at 86C though (and this is with the coolant being under 35C!). I'm having a hard time tightening down the block much more, so I don't think that's the issue. Maybe it isn't centered though...or it isn't flat against the cpu? I did use the washer trick when installing this thing, 'cause without it, I was BSODing within seconds of booting into Windows....eek!

Edit: Here's a screen capture from HWMonitor after about 45 min into stressing:

Capture_zpsfb8b2e2a.jpg

My cores have always varied ~10C, so either that's just how the chip is, or I'm extremely consistent in placing coolers on incorrectly.

Last edited:
Back