• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Another "help me build a computer" thread!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Cypher720

Well guys, i thikn the time might have come for me to get a build a new computer. the problem is, i dont know anything anymore! i used to be on top of everything, but now i know none of the new products, i forget lots of stuff too, so bear with me, and im sure people will provide help!

I need a computer that will run HL2....first off. IF it can run that smoothly, it can do everything else i need (sound editing, photoshop, school, stuff like that). HL2 is important.

Anyways, i now have:

AMD Athlon XP 2500+ Barton
Asus A7n8x Deluxe
2*256 Crucial PCsomething old...im not sure
80 GB Seagate Barracuda 7200 RPM
ATI Radeon 8500 LE 64 MB (way old)
Heatink which ill be keeping
Thermaltake PurePower 420W PSU
SB Live! Sound Card

So, i want to "upgrade" if possible, but my HDD is corrupt and possibly a bad motherboard (never boots right, always get BSOD's and various other errors, but might be RAM.) I want to keep WHATEVER i can because im broke as hell (PSU stays, thats probably it...mobo if possible, but dont think so cause socket wont be the same).

Like i said, im really broke and a college student like many of u out there, so i want to do it as cheap as i can, but still get good performance and maybe some o/c'ing when i get time.

As im shopping around trying to learn my stuff all over again, heres what ive come up with...just possibilities....

I WANT to get the XFX Nvidia GeForce 6600GT 128MB....i think thats what i want to base the system around (ill find a way to afford it!)
Processors...i've always preferrred AMD, but if its cheaper/better/both, ill go Intel. I was lookning at AMD Athlon 64, but i dont know how good they ar/if its worth it. I found the 3000+ which seems like a good deal, but please correct me if im wrong.

HDD is no problem, ill get a tiny 80GB or 120 and i have an external too.

RAM...i have NO clue what to get. I'll probably do 2*512MB, but if 512 total runs HL2, ill be happy (and have more money).

mobo's, im not sure...nothing fancy. somethng that will work with the vid card and the athlon 64 (if thats what i get).

Well, i hope i gave enough info and i hope you guys can hel pme out in your spare time! If i left anything out please let me know and ill respond ASAP...i want to get my system ASAP too...even tough im short on cash now!

Thanks a bunch, and im looking forward to hearing from you guys!

Mike

AMD cpus are better for gaming, if you're going to get a different socket mobo you might want to check your hs for compatibility

yeah i thought about that...i think ill need to get another mobo unless there is a processor that is really good that will work with my current mobo (that would be great)....and would the ram work? even vid card? i dont know whats compatable with what nowadays.

would my current system be fine if i got a new vid card? how about processor....or would i need a new mobo for that. would the RAM hold up fine?

i think my biggest question is....if i get that video card, would it work with my current computer? or would i have to upgrade the whole thing...because if i can get away with just buying the vid card, im all for it, cause that will last a hell of a long time too.

thanks!

as you want to use that video card with your current motherboard i would reccmmend you double check before you place your order that you've selected the AGP version and not the pcie version

if you decide to upgrade to a new socket then you should look for a mobo with the following specifications (at least initially) DDR-RAM and AGP.

as for cpu, since your trying to keep this on the cheap i say keep your current mobo if it's doing what you need it to just upgrade to an XP 3200+ since you mobo supports 400MHz fsb.
http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDesc.asp?description=19-103-391&depa=1

would my current system be fine if i got a new vid card? how about processor....or would i need a new mobo for that. would the RAM hold up fine?

Yep - if you picked up a 6600 or similar and also bought another stick of 512MB, then you would be fine for gaming.

But those are the minimum requirements - for smooth gaming on a 2500+ processor, you'll need 1GB of ram and a good video card.

I would recommend upgrading to a Socket A 3200+ Barton processor, but since you don't know what speed your ram is, then I wouldn't. A 3200+ runs at 400Mhz FSB, and if your DDR isn't PC3200 (i.e. 400Mhz) then you'd have to replace all your memory, instead of just adding a 512MB stick.

An alternative would be to buy the 3000+ processor. That comes in two flavours: 333Mhz FSB and 400Mhz FSB. Your current 2500+ runs at 333Mhz, so you'd know for sure that a 3000+ 333Mhz FSB would work with your memory.

However, your BSOD and boot problems seem to be related to dodgy memory, so you might have to get rid of those 2*256MB sticks anyway. In that case, I'd buy 2*512MB sticks of PC3200 memory and get a 3200+ Barton cpu.

If you were to couple that with an Nvidia 6600 vga card, and you've got yourself a pretty nice gaming pc :)

Last edited:
the RAM is Crucial DDR PC 2100 (yeah, its old).

So if i upgrade vid card (AGP Version no doubt), Ram (2*512), and processor, i should be good to go?

So my final puter after i get he new parts will be as follows. before i order it i jsut want to check it out with you guys so i dont spend $600 and get the wrong stuff. an asterick is what i will be buying, everything else i own already.

*AMD Athlon XP 3200+ Barton 400MHz
Asus A7n8x Deluxe rev 2.0
*Mushkin 2*512MB DDR PC-3200
*XFX nVidia GeForce 6600GT 128MB GDDR3AGP 8x (is there a DVI converter to work with my older monitor?)
*160GB Western Digital 7200 RPM
Thermaltake PurePower 400W PSU

i think thats it...let me know so i can get to buying!! thanks a lot!

Back