• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Another Look at the ACARD ANS-9010

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Particle

As you folks may be aware, the nice guys at ACARD decided to have a little competition coinciding with the launch of their new product, the ANS-9010. For those of you who aren't familiar with the hardware, it is a DDR2 hardware RAM drive with many nice features that go beyond what we've seen before in this kind of device.

Some of the important features:
- 8x DIMM slots for DDR2
- Support for ECC to keep your data safe
- Software ECC emulation if non-ECC memory is used
- Dual-channel SATA connections

Top.jpg

You'll notice a bunch of ECC registered memory to the left...don't make that mistake like I did. It won't cause blue smoke or anything, but it simply won't work. That's a little disappointing considering that most ECC memory is also registered. If you want full capacity by using ECC memory (otherwise you lose 1/9 of your space to software parity), you'll have to look for the slightly less common ECC unregistered variety.

BBU.jpg

This drive comes with a couple of nice data protection features outside of ECC. You'll notice the large battery backup unit in place here. I was impressed by its runtime. I've never once lost data in all of my testing, as the thing seems to keep the RAM fresh for hours and hours. Even so, you'll want to take advantage of the automatic backup to CF functionality. You can see that on the front of the unit pictured below:

Front.jpg

As you can tell, the ANS-9010 also provides some flexibility in the CF backup option--you can trigger it manually as well as depending on the automatic backup feature.

Considering the price of memory these days, you can fill it with 2GB DIMMs for under $140. You don't need the latest and greatest memory for this as the SATA ports are going to be the limiting factor regardless. Even one DDR2-400 DIMM is in theory capable of 3200MBps, so a couple of connections offering 3Gbps (small b--we're talking about 300MBps in practice or less) is going to be the bottleneck. That's fortunate for us since a 16GB RAM drive would make for a rather nice XP boot disk providing you keep your media files and programs stored elsewhere. If we want to go up to a 32GB disk using 4GB DIMMs, the price increases a bit to the $800 range. This would be suitable for a Vista or Windows 7 machine, but the price just doesn't look attractive when compared to other fast solutions like a Fujitsu 147GB 15K SAS drive ($175) or 60GB OCZ Vertex SSD ($250 est). That leaves us to find other uses for the drive due to the limited capacity.

Fortunately, the answer is easy:
- Programs
- Swap space
- Project space

So, given the opportunity to review this device, I filled up all slots with PQi 2GB DDR2-800 DIMMs and tried my hand at seeing what kind of difference it makes for my real-life activities. Of course, some of you will understandably want to see some synthetic benchmark numbers. I've got you guys covered.

Bart's Stuff Test
BST is a simple app that will test both read and write performance at the file system level.

BST.png

BST-Chart.png

To draw up some kind of comparison, I ran the benchmark on the ACARD in single and dual channel modes as well as against a 16GB eSATA flash drive (Throttle), and my venerable WD5000 mirror. The results aren't surprising--the RAM drive easily out-paces any of the other solutions. What is weird, however, is that it seems to be capping at SATA 1.5Gbps speeds despite being setup as 3Gbps.

Windows Small File Copy
Here is a test that really taxes performance of a drive based on access time and overall speed. For this test, 8192 4KB files are written to disk.

File-Chart.png

As you can see, the mechanical drive pulled out a surprising win in this test and the SSD was really suffering to keep up. The ugly head of RAID-0 also showed itself in this test, showing a decrease in performance when doing lots of little I/O.

HD Tune
HDTune is a nice free disk benchmark that can show min/max/avg transfer rates for a device as well as random access time. One of the problems with benchmarks like these is that different devices perform quite differently with different block sizes used in the test. However, for my testing I used the default settings (64KB).

HDT.png

HDT-Chart.png

It's again no surprised that the ACARD device pulls away from all other forms of storage tested against. The RAM drive even scored a lower random access time than the eSATA SSD. The benefits of a RAID controller that has its own processor can be seen as well with the Areca mirror only using ~1% CPU compared to the rest.

Now for the stuff that really defines how I use a computer in general:

Windows Server 2008 Installation & Boot
Installing an OS like Windows Server 2008 can really show a drive's potential. Considering how often I have to reinstall (being an overclocker), install speed makes a big difference as well.

WinInstall.jpg

Windows-Chart.png

Once again, we see that the ACARD rules the roost with this test. It managed to provide the quickest install and boot times. Interesting to note is that again RAID-0 is actually slowing things down. Small I/O just is not an area where RAID-0 shines. The magnetic drives had no chance.

High Definition Video Creation
One of my hobbies is the creation of high definition content such as gaming videos recorded in Garry's Mod. The way I operate is to use the HL2 engine's built-in TGA frame export ability, and at HD resolutions the results are often quite enormous. So, how much does the ACARD help here? I've compared it in RAID-0 against my normal solution, a five-drive RAID-5 on the Areca ARC-1220 to see if it would really save me time. This is the area where a RAID-0 really shines--large, sequential file I/O.

Virtualdub.jpg

Virtualdub-Chart.png

As you can see, the RAM drive had no trouble out-pacing my 5-drive RAID-5 array. Even though synthetic transfer rates between the two are similar, the lower access time and slightly higher throughput really gave it the edge.

Games!
The final thing I do a lot is play games. This is evidenced by my overclocking tendencies and absurd pursuit of multiple video cards. I tested two games that I find myself playing the most as well as World of Warcraft. I'm not an active WoW player, but I know a lot of people are...millions are...so I figured that would be an important one to test.

Without any further delay, here is how my gaming experience went:

Games.png

The ACARD handily beats my trusty WD5000 mirror in all of these tests. The margin hovers around 2:1. Man this thing is fast. Maybe my Raptor-owning friends will quit complaining that I take forever to load COH now. :)

So what conclusions can we draw from this testing? I'd have to say that if 4GB DIMMs were cheaper, I'd suggest using the ANS-9010 as a boot drive in a heartbeat. There was literally no comparison between HDD/SSD and the RAM drive in general Windows snappiness. The RAM drive was fast. No, that doesn't do it justice--Have any of you ever loaded the Server Manager in Windows Server 2008 to add a feature or role? You know how it takes ages for that list to populate and how it won't let you do anything until it finishes? Well, with the ACARD that process was virtually instant. It is the culmination of those kinds of large general-useage differences that would make the drive so desirable for a boot disk. Unfortunately, due tot he high cost of 4GB DIMMs currently, I can't recommend it for boot duty unless you are considering Windows XP. Take note that this is purely due to the cost of populating the slots and not due to a lack of performance by any means!

What else do the tests tell us? It is quite clear that the ACARD is outstandingly fast for pretty much anything. Installing large, bloated apps to it like Office will save you lots of time. Installing games to it may be trickier due to the capacity of the thing. You'd likely only be able to fit a few of your favorite games at a given point in time.

Finally, I was most impressed by the performance increase seen in HD content creation. Again, space constraints are an issue since 16GB can go by in a hurry with HD. However, most of the time when I'm dealing with uncompressed HD content, I'm only dealing with small clips. There would still be a great benefit to using the RAM drive for that purpose.

If you haven't been able to pick up on it so far, I have two main conclusions:
- It is faaaaaaaaaaaaaaaster than fast
- Unfortunately, filling it with a usable amount of RAM is going to be an expensive endeavor. The base unit itself is also expensive at an MRSP of around $400. However, if you're after the peak of performance no matter the cost, this is definitely the drive for you.

I just wish this thing had 16 DIMM slots. :D

I thought ECC went hand-in-hand with being registered...

While I do find this intriguing, my desktop PC spends many hours off. That battery is only good for a few hours new, what happens after a year and you reboot quick and find out the battery is dead? X-|

My server is on all the time, but really doesn't need that kind of performance.

It's one of those things that's cool, but not overly practical.

I agree, considering the limitations I could only see it being useful in limited applications. However, your backup concern has been addressed by ACARD. The CF slot in the front will be automatically used as a backup medium any time power is lost. Only if no CF is present is the battery used to maintain the RAM for the duration.

It fixed most of the problems with Gigabyte's iRam but I think it is too late now. SSD offers a smaller, cheaper package that produces less heat and gives you more storage space. Plus there is no need to worry about battery and compact flash backup. The Acard is faster than SSD but that seems to be it's only advantage. It is great for hardcore benching and performace with a crazy high budget. It almost costs more than my entire computer lol

True, but when the backups and loads take half an hour and 10 minutes to restore it really loses it's punch as a quick boot drive.

I agree, considering the limitations I could only see it being useful in limited applications. However, your backup concern has been addressed by ACARD. The CF slot in the front will be automatically used as a backup medium any time power is lost. Only if no CF is present is the battery used to maintain the RAM for the duration.

Now the i-RAM will maintain its data even with th epower off for days because of the power it receives through the PCI slot. Does this card not work in a similar power feed fashion?

My problem with these kind of devices is SATA IS SLOW!!! Put the thing in a PCIe slot!! I am certainly no expert on how this stuff works but I know I have a PCIe SATA controller so I know you can run hdd's through a PCIe port. Now plug this thing into one!!

Here are some hacked number I pulled off the web. Don't blame me if they are wrong.
This thing supports DDR2 800 which can transfer at ~6400 MB/s = 50 Gbps
SATA 6Gbps, the newest SATA spec, can only transfer at 6 Gbps = 768 MB/s
A 16x PCIe 2.0 slot can transfer in both directions at 4 GB/s = 32 Gbps and 8 GB/s = 64 Gbps in on direction.
PCIe 3.0 has double the transfer rate of PCIe 2.0 put the thing in a PCIe 3.0 slot and let it fly.

Granted these numbers are not very attainable in the real world but I am sure a 16x PCIe slot can easily out pace a SATA 6Gbps port. Even the PCIe 2.0 slot cannot max out the ram.

The reason these things perform similarly to SSD is because it is running over SATA.

Am I crazy or could something like this actually work.

Now the i-RAM will maintain its data even with th epower off for days because of the power it receives through the PCI slot. Does this card not work in a similar power feed fashion?

That isn't possible with the device being setup like a hard drive (data + power cable). When you turn your system off, the SATA power plug goes dead entirely.

My problem with these kind of devices is SATA IS SLOW!!! Put the thing in a PCIe slot!! I am certainly no expert on how this stuff works but I know I have a PCIe SATA controller so I know you can run hdd's through a PCIe port. Now plug this thing into one!!

Here are some hacked number I pulled off the web. Don't blame me if they are wrong.
This thing supports DDR2 800 which can transfer at ~6400 MB/s = 50 Gbps
SATA 6Gbps, the newest SATA spec, can only transfer at 6 Gbps = 768 MB/s
A 16x PCIe 2.0 slot can transfer in both directions at 4 GB/s = 32 Gbps and 8 GB/s = 64 Gbps in on direction.
PCIe 3.0 has double the transfer rate of PCIe 2.0 put the thing in a PCIe 3.0 slot and let it fly.

Granted these numbers are not very attainable in the real world but I am sure a 16x PCIe slot can easily out pace a SATA 6Gbps port. Even the PCIe 2.0 slot cannot max out the ram.

The reason these things perform similarly to SSD is because it is running over SATA.

Am I crazy or could something like this actually work.

You're not crazy. It's the next logical step, really, and OCZ for instance is headed in that direction with a product just recently announced. It is a 1TB PCIe SSD card that can do about 500MB/s sustained.

Well they need a back-up power source. The i-RAM gets power when the PC is off so unless you unplug the PC or have an extended power outage your data is fine. I own one so I can verify that from personal experience.

I thought I read in one of the reviews of this thing that a power back-up cord was an option.

Back