• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Antec 900 problem

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
thermal pad????

wow, dude, get some Arctic Silver 5 or Ceramique ... i think thermal pads are only used on video card ram and nb/sb chipsets any more....usage on cpus was dead ages ago i thought

Dang this will not work with my mobo because the connector is 4 pins. I have a 3 pin. Also I coudl find the arrows fro the fans. I can see a sticker saying Antec 3 speed. The back is blank. Do I use the back facing in the case as an exhaust?

Last edited:
Dang this will not work with my mobo because the connector is 4 pins. I have a 3 pin. Also I coudl find the arrows fro the fans. I can see a sticker saying Antec 3 speed. The back is blank. Do I use the back facing in the case as an exhaust?

yes it will. the extra pin is for PWM. if your mobo doesnt support the PWM (it doesnt if its only 3 pin) then the extra pin on the plug can hang off. its not needed to run the thing, its just an added feature.

as for the fans, think about it like this:
one side has 3 or 4 spokes that hold the actual fan to the casing. this side is where the air blows OUT
IN through the side with no spokes, OUT through the side WITH spokes

yes it will. the extra pin is for PWM. if your mobo doesnt support the PWM (it doesnt if its only 3 pin) then the extra pin on the plug can hang off. its not needed to run the thing, its just an added feature.

one side has 3 or 4 spokes that hold the actual fan to the casing. this side is where the air blows OUT

X2

Also, the optional Asus fan isn't used for watercooling. If it's what i'm thinking, the 680i Striker uses one as well. It's a inverted slot fan that sits on the HS you circled and blows directly out the rear fan. I'd definitely use it if you're going to OC that CPU at all. I'd look at this fan to make sure of the airflow path. If it's blowing towards the CPU, that would be a problem.

Axis

X2

Also, the optional Asus fan isn't used for watercooling. If it's what i'm thinking, the 680i Striker uses one as well. It's a inverted slot fan that sits on the HS you circled and blows directly out the rear fan. I'd definitely use it if you're going to OC that CPU at all. I'd look at this fan to make sure of the airflow path. If it's blowing towards the CPU, that would be a problem.

Axis

I don't think they are the same thing Axis01. The manual states to only use it in fanless environments and watercooling, and it warns that it may disrupt airflow over the CPU if used in any other way. I believe it blows over the northbridge heatsinks, and in a fanless environment, it can get too hot.

You are correct WeezleXX89. My bad. The fans on the Antec fans don't have the arrow. Sorry bout that. I replaced all the buzzy Antec fans with Scythe's.

You can always plug them in, and just feel the breeze. :)

If by 'back facing in the case' you mean Fan #4 on your drawing, then yes- That should be an exhaust.

Basically what I did with this case is move the fan box from the middle to the top, (and put my dvd player/fan controller in the middle box) So that I have 2 intake fans blowing over the cpu heatsink and out the back and top. The bottom fans blow over the HDD's. My temps are excellent. (32c at 3.98Ghz, 55c under full load after 10 hours of Orthos.)

Lol, yea. I just remember it as " the open side sucks"

ok I did the fan arrangements and my mobo still ahve good temp which is 28 degrees C. The bad part is my CPU in the BIOS is 47-53 C. I bought some Arctic Silver 5 themal paste and I will get it by next Tuesday. All I need is a grain of rice? man thats a tiny bit. If this doesnt work, plan B is the the TR-120. It fits on my mobo right? The bad part is I have to take the mobo out and re-organize the wires back.

Weezle, It really does take just a little bit of AS5, Many people put on too much. The idea is to just fill in any small gaps in between the Heatsink and CPU, In the perfect world, The heatsink and CPU would match up perfectly and you wouldn't need thermal paste.

If you put a lot on, you can short out the motherboard and fry everything. Use a small amount. About the size of a grain of cooked rice.

I do know that if you put a large heatsink on this mobo, you will not be able to have a fan on the side panel.

Too much thermal paste can cause numerous problems. In certain cases if too much is applied, it can act as an insulator rather than a conductor and really make your CPU boil under load.

As far as the side fan/TRU120E problem, if you mount the HS in the horizontal position(so that it exhausts through the top 200mm fan) you will have clearance for the fan on the side panel if you want to use it. If you mount vertical to exhaust through the back, you will definitely have clearance issues. All of this is contingent of course on whether or not the TRU120E will clear the Heatsinks around your CPU. As was said before though, you shouldn't have a problem there, but make some measurements b4 you buy to be sure.

Ok I finally put XP on my PC and I installed some motherbaord drivers. Now the CPU says 43-47 C. Would installing mobo drivers help with the heat sensors?

Back