• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Antec 900 questions

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

SenorBeef

I have a few questions for 900 owners.

1) Does anyone have a good idea for giving the case some dust filtering?

2) I've heard the Thermalright 120 is too big to allow it to coexist with the side panel mount. True?

If so, I was thinking a solution might be the mount the fan outside the case, either by taping it or drilling screw mounts, and snaking a molex connector through the water cooling port in the back. Any problem with this idea? Does the side fan even have a major benefit or is it better to just leave it open as a vent?

3) Is there enough clearance with an 8800 GT to use the fan connector at the back of the hard drive bay? Can you still use the middle slot for a hard drive while that mount is still attached?

4) What's the best fan configuration? I'm guessing the rear and top fans exhaust, everything else (including the side mount) blowing in?

5) I don't know which MB I'm going to get yet, but am I likely to face any problems reaching power connectors and such with a corsair hx520 PSU?

6) Any other general tips when building a system into that case?

Thanks.

1) Dust was never really a problem for me, and I have a dusty place. If your airflow path and fan choices are right, it should suck the most of the dust right through. I had a tiny bit of build up on the 24 pin cable where it went into the side panel behind the lower fan and that's about it. My TR120 had to be blown out about every two months or so. So not too bad for dust at all. You can always buy some filter material at a hardware or heating/AC shop. Don't ask me which one, I just know they sell it. Cut it to the size of the front panels and friction fit it in. It will severely reduce your airflow, which is why I never put any in. Truth be known, those front pannels aren't the best for airflow either. The best would be to take them right off and get some regular fan cages for the front. Some say that looks ghetto, I say it looks great if done right.

2) Mount the TR120 pointing up and out the top exhaust like so. It works great, and would allow you to mount the side fan if you wanted.

3)My buddy has 2 8800GTs in SLI and he has the extra fan bracket in there behind the top HHD cage. You should be fine.

4) I never used the side mount, it's just a gigantic dust collector, and with the airflow in that case, you don't really need it. High to medium flow at the front and lowspeed top and rear and that gave me a really good internal case temp and low dust. Scythe SS 1200s in the intake slots and Scythe SS 500 in the rear. If you have a PSU with a fan that blows down and out the back, that is also an exhaust for the bottom intake.

5) I hope you like modding and cutting holes. If you want good cable management you're gonna have to bit the bullet and do it. I used 1,1,5 and 2" holesaws on mine and then lined the holes with neoprene grommeting. Works like a charm.
Or you can fit in a WC setup like I just did.

Last edited:
Oh, another question - are there any good fan controllers that work easily with the 900? The fans appear to be 4 pin molex only with no RPM wire, so controllers that sense fan RPM can't report their speed. I get that. I'd still like a controller unit that displayed temps on an LED and was able to control the fan voltage though even if it says 0000 RPM (as long as the alarm can be turned off). Anything like that?

Those fans are ok, and they do have rated speeds and approximate cfm values for each of the 3 settings if you go to the Antec website or Ebay. Personally, I would ditch them with go with some Scythe SS or YateLoon Mediums and put them on the fan controller. Much better and more quiet. I use this fan controller for my Rad. fans and it's been good so far. You can do temps with it and it doesn't look too shabby either. I think this is what you are looking for.

http://www.performance-pcs.com/cata...roduct_info&cPath=52_87_137&products_id=20901

My Machine:

YateLoons
http://www.petrastechshop.com/120x25mmfans.html

Last edited:
2) Mount the TR120 pointing up and out the top exhaust like so. It works great, and would allow you to mount the side fan if you wanted.

Cool. Do you need to do anything special to fit the heatsink that way?

It's probably better that way anyway, isn't it? Most people mount it facing the back of the case because that's where the exhaust fan is... but if you can get the exhaust going straight up and out of the case, it's an efficient way to move heat and doesn't blow over any components on the way out.

I notice you don't use the "wind tunnel" middle bay fan. Is it because you don't have enough room? What video card is that?

edit: I also notice you don't have the rear case fan. Was there not enough room with the heatsink rotated that way?

5) I hope you like modding and cutting holes. If you want good cable management you're gonna have to bit the bullet and do it. I used 1,1,5 and 2" holesaws on mine and then lined the holes with neoprene grommeting. Works like a charm.

Unfortunately I'm for the most part a case mod newbie. I don't have metal working tools. Is there something I can get cheaply to do the work?

I don't mind a somewhat messy case as long as it isn't significantly impacting airflow.

Cool. Do you need to do anything special to fit the heatsink that way?

It's probably better that way anyway, isn't it? Most people mount it facing the back of the case because that's where the exhaust fan is... but if you can get the exhaust going straight up and out of the case, it's an efficient way to move heat and doesn't blow over any components on the way out.

I notice you don't use the "wind tunnel" middle bay fan. Is it because you don't have enough room? What video card is that?

edit: I also notice you don't have the rear case fan. Was there not enough room with the heatsink rotated that way?

Unfortunately I'm for the most part a case mod newbie. I don't have metal working tools. Is there something I can get cheaply to do the work?

I don't mind a somewhat messy case as long as it isn't significantly impacting airflow.

Nothing special needed :D
Personally, I didn't change a thing in my case. I have all the fans as they come, usually set to high. I have no side fan yet, although it would fit as I have the same orientation of my Tru120E as previously discussed. It's a very accomidating case as long as you are careful and don't need tons of room. It's a great case and keeps everything nice and cool.

I'm not sure why he doesn't have the rear case fan. I have a total of 5 case fans with a possibility of at least 1 more. I even have 2 12" cold cathodes stuck in there ;)

You can mount the that HS anyway you choose, as long as your Mobo components allow. I had to mount mine that way to accommodate the NB Heatsink.

The wind tunnel fan bracket will not fit behind a 8800GTX. A GT yes, but not a GTX.

I had the rear exhaust fan out for a while, then put it back in to see if it made a difference in the case temp. It didn't, but it also can't hurt to have it in, there is always some warm air in that part of the case that needs removing.

Holesaws aren't cheap, but they're not really expensive. I spent ~$45 on all three, the mandrel and pilot bit came with the 2" one.

Back