• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Antec USB ports purchased in 2003 may not work with new USB drive sticks

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

c627627

c(n*199780) Senior Member
Posted this at another forum because our forums were down, but I decided to post here now to let you all know.

I bought one of those USB drive sticks. I tried connecting it to the front USB ports and it didn't work. I then tried connecting it to the rear USB ports (the ones that are directly connected to my nForce2 mobo) and sure enough it worked.

I tried connecting some other devices to the front USB connector just to see, and they all worked (!)

What could be causing this USB stick to work on the mobo ports and not through the case USB ports connected to the mobo if all my other devices, including the USB card readers work on those same front case ports.

I have a dual Windows XP/Me system and the same behavior occurs on both.

My system:
AMD Athlon XP 2400+ mobile 35 watt AXMD 2400 FJQ4C
IQYHA 0402 SPMW
3 x 256MB Kingston PC2700 @ 6 3 3 2.5
[186] FSB x 13 = 2418 MHz @ 1.85 Vcore with memory frequency at 100% [186 FSB] @ 2.90 Vdimm
Epox 8RDA+ v1.1
Thermalright SLK-947U with variable speed 80x25mm Thermaltake Smart Fan 2
BFG GeForce4 Ti4200 8X 128MB; Antec SX-835II case ; 380W Antec TruePower TP380
Four 80x25mm Case Fans + 1 Variable speed 80x25mm Fan YS-Tech FD1281259B-2F

[......................]

Well we can put all the assumptions to rest. It is Monday and I just spoke with Antec.

They confirmed this to be an issue with cases purchased last 2003 holiday season. The case USB ports are simply not 2.0 complaint + have issues with USB drive sticks.

As long as all your other devices work on these case USB ports EXCEPT for the new USB drive sticks only, it is a case USB port issue.

Spoke to someone named Francis at Antec. Very friendly, will send replacement. I've had major issues in the past with Antec but whoever said it was right: customers tend to be very impressed when they're met with friendly service.

All things being equal, it will be difficult not to choose Antec next time over another brand because they stand behind their products with friendly service and readiness to make things right!

I also have the same problem with a chieftec case (same case as antec's server towers). Chieftec has not responded to my inquires. Would I be able to buy a front USB port from Antec?

neat! Im glad your antec xperience went well.

I have a guess as to why it didnt work: It may be power related. The usb pen drives require power from the cable and perhaps the cables they supplied just had trouble transferring enough power over the span or something like that.

I received a small replacement part that has two usb and one firewire small connector on a 2 inch by 3/4 inch pcb board.

My USB stick now works when connected to it!

On another note:

The case Firewire port has 6 pins. The cable has 6 pins on the other end but my nForce2 mobo has 8 (smaller) pins.

How do I connect those, is it with a special third-party cable?

I can't seem to find one online...

The nForce2 mobo (I have Epox 8rda+) has 8 smaller pins on the mobo.

The cable is for 6 pins and this cable cannot be attached to the 8 pins because it's made for 6 larger pins whereas the mobo has 8 small pins.

^^ Did you go through Tech support to recieve new ports? Were they provided to you for free or did you have to pay for them? How much were they?

What infomation did you have to provide to them?

I have emailed and contacted chieftec USA and they have not sent a reply to my inquiry. I'm thinking about just going through Antec since your experience was easy.

I called tech support about my case when I first bought it for an unrelated matter so my name, address and phone number were in their computers, they asked. When I needed Antec replacement before, they ask for a copy of receipt.

Both Antec & Chieftec are probably swamped with tech support requests because it's that time of the year so it's tough to get though this month. I would try calling your case manufacturer early in the morning just when they open...

The primary difference is in impedance and currrent demand. High power devices are usually within spec at 500mA, but cable lengths and poor connectors can adversely affect current availability. Some high power devices exceed the spec and I have seen system withdrawn from support matrices containing those products. There are also differing specs between the controllers on the planars, with both high and low power controllers often residing on the same board. Typically, the planar mounted sockets are high power and if there are two sets of USB headers, one or both will be high power. If yours has two sets, try the other set and you may be pleasantly surprised. One thing to watch out for is power management behavior. This varies widely between controller chipsets and planar implementations.

I had tried switching to another header and it still does not work.

I just called Cheiftec USA. They are telling me that they do not have the front USB headers in stock and that I would need to change the entire case=p.

Going to call Antec now.

Emailed Antec and they are going to send me a new set for free. I just gave them my address. That's customer service. I'll update once I get the new ports and see if USB 2.0 works for me as well.

Back