• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Antivirus of Choice?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Which antivirus do you use?......and why.

• McAfee

Votes: 45 5.6%
  • Norton

Votes: 181 22.4%
  • Other

Votes: 583 72.1%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
I use Kaspersky on my bench machine (for when a customers machine is so bad it won't run), and put AVG on machines that have nothing.

I have been using Avast for the past year & I have been very very pleased with it. Both Norton & McAfee products are way too bloated for me. At work we use Symantec Enterprise and it works well, but for home use I am very happy with Avast.

I use SAV (Corporate Symantec Antivirus) and it pretty much sucks. I've used trend micro's free online virus scan and it's picked up trojans that a corporate paid scanner can't even pick up. Pitiful IMO. Gonna prolly try out a different program.

Using Avast Home edition, and I recomended it and install on friends and Family PCs due to the screensaver virus scanning option. Makes it easy to tell someone, just let the screen saver kick on and it'll scan for you. Also the auto update function works great to, albeit a bit scarey when your not expecting it and it announces "VIRUS DATA BASE NOW UPDATED!".

Reasons for not using Norton. Slows otherwise decent PCs down to a crawl, might as well get the virus.

Above every infected computer I've worked on has had some form of Norton installed on it, so whats the point of paying for something that doesn't work anyway. In fact its even worse in the sense that those people do more dangerous things on the internet because they think they are protected by norton.

Yeah, I agree with the polls - Norton and McAfee both pretty much suck. You figure that if you have to pony up some green for something it should at least be better than something thats free, right? Apparently not. I'm currently using eTrust EZ Antivirus which has been more than adequate so far = no viruses (yet). Its seems pretty light on the resources and it doesn't add like 10 things to my startup configuration (i.e. Norton). Scans files quickly too. Seems like I found myself a new antivirus program. I've also heard good things about AVG as well, but thought I'd give eTrust a try. I think I read on CNET website that eTrust was more highly regarded over Norton and McAfee.

Did I also mention that its free?

On my second system ( a gateway838gm :eh?: ) I'm using aol serurity suite that is based on mcafee antivirus and firewall with some added features. I like it so far and it even found 3 virues that norton didn't pick up.I am also trying aol explorer and that was a big surprise and everyone should give it a shot. But on the main rig its avast pro and firefox.

Avast antivirus home edition. It's free and it doesn't disable MSI corecenter like McAfee\Norton(randomly). No problems since installing and it has hassle free updates.

AVG. It's free and doesn't hog up resources. It also scans fairly quick and hasn't let me down yet.

Cheers to AVG for providing the free version for so long. I hope they don't change that anytime soon.

Previous user of TrendMicro (Winx32) but currently using Avast free ver for Winx64 and luv it .
Avast saved my butt quit a few times already , updates are very frequent (and automatic) , detects incomming spyware , easy to use . Recommend HIGHLY for x64 users !!!

AVG here. It is the best AV I've used. I tried Avast but didn't like it much; had too much extra crap and got annoying. I would never let my computers touch norton or mcaffee, even though I can get either of them free through work. My mothers computer has mcaffee, and I would have to say that mcaffee is better than norton from my experiences. I might try Trend Micro one day, if AVG fails me or goes out of buisness, since I also can get it for free.

Even though I've written my article quite some time ago I still receive emails about it! http://www.overclockers.com/articles1260/

I still believe Kaspersky is the best of them all but I must say that some free ones are doing good too. AVG is overrated in my opinion, I don't know why so many people swear by it.

Definitely check out kaspersky 6. I've tried nearly every AV and this just blows everything else away. Not only did it detect stuff others didn't (anti-vir and nod32) but it also has an updated interface and also doesn't seem like a system hog.

Been using AVG on my main rig for several years now and it works fine...
only hitch is that its good for only one rig...
Recently installed Avast on one folder and Bitdefender on another, just to see how they function...so far, so good. Neither of those machines is on the net very much anyhow, as they are dedicated folders...

Gotta love free Antivirus programs... :D

AVG all the way. It's free, works well, and doesn't hog resources. 'nuff said.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back