• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Antivirus of Choice?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Which antivirus do you use?......and why.

• McAfee

Votes: 45 5.6%
  • Norton

Votes: 181 22.4%
  • Other

Votes: 583 72.1%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm using Avast! which I was completely against. I have used AVG before as well and hated it. However on my Vista 64bit rig I can't imagine there being anything better than Avast! It's completely free, offers great performance, great real time protection, and updates itself twice a day. Couple that with defender and you have gold.

You can't beat free! Even if I had my option between all other antiviruses for free I'd probably still stick with it. I haven't found any other free ones that work this well.
Duck

Other, I use Kaspersky on both my Vista 64-bit desktop and Xp Pro laptop. I had problems finding a good security program, that would run on Vista. I hate Norton and really don't like McAfee. I did use Webroot spy sweeper w antivirus on my laptop, but it didn't run on my 64 machine and I didn't feel like finding a patch for it, if there is one, so I got Kaspersky from Staples, b/c it was free after rebate for the 3 user.

ESET NOD32 v2.7 for almost two years and I will renew my suscription when the time comes. Version 3.0 is still working out the kinks so I am keeping this version until the smoke clears. Updates throughout the day and night.

Avast! free home edition on my old Pentium 3 (which my son uses) and my daughter's laptop running Vista Home Premium. Both have good internet habits and this antivirus is doing very well.

AVG free version for me. I've tried Norton and McAfee both in the past and have found both to be xtreme resource hogs, and they both randomly interfered with other programs. I've not experienced anything like that with AVG and I've not gotten any viruses. I did once with Norton and all it did was delete the infected files (which rendered those programs useless afterwards) and never did erase the root cause of the virus. I ended up having to do a fresh install to eventually erradicate the virus.

i'd love to see a new poll with updated choices. seems that the big three nowadays are AVG, NOD32 and Kaspersky. RIP Norton and McAfee

i'd love to see a new poll with updated choices. seems that the big three nowadays are AVG, NOD32 and Kaspersky. RIP Norton and McAfee

I guess new poll would be good, this one is from 2004. The year when I realized that norton is crap.

Been using Norton for years. Currently using Symantec Client Security 3.1. havent had any problems with it. Of course I can get the newest McAfee or Norton for free... legally, so thats a plus.

Avast Free Home Edition all the way ..
tried norton, it worked for a while, but then the included spam filter made outlook express error on open .. everytime, all the time...once norton's uninstalled, everything was back to normal.

mcafee ... heard many horror stories about them ..

+1 for Avast

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back