• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Any ASUS Prime X370 Pro owners out there ... besides me??

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Any luck with increasing your memory clocks or better stability?

Well, given the new information about the SV12 TFN, I have more voltage headroom to try for 3.9 on the CPU. The RAM I was able to hit 2933, but I had to use 1.41 volts, and I'm not good with going that high. It might be cool while I'm stress testing, but when gaming the RAM gets the hottest. I'm not sure how much thermal headroom I have on the RAM since I have no way of reading how hot it's actually getting. While gaming with 1.2 volts it's pretty warm, I'd imagine pushing 1.41 volts they would get hot enough to be uncomfortable or even burn the skin. I'll just have to do some more tweaking and maybe get a fan to move air over the RAM better and see how hot they feel when gaming.

I'll update my sig and post if I get anything higher. So far I haven't used anything higher than LLC 3. But also considering what you said and the testing done on this board with LLC 4 and 5, I'll see what kind of stability it gives going for a higher OC.

EDIT: Hey, just to be safe does anyone know where is a good spot to test the CPU voltage on this board with a multi-meter? I'd really like to check to make sure my voltage output is what it's saying it is, thanks.

Last edited:
Wondered if you were going to make me search for that info. The search function on OC.net are not the best.
Lermite has done good oscilloscope probing.

Prime X370 socket back

Prime X370 socket back.png

Disregard bottom image of C6H socket back.

Attachments

• AM4 socket Vcore measuring points.jpeg
    AM4 socket Vcore measuring points.jpeg
    28.9 KB · Views: 101
Last edited:
Wondered if you were going to make me search for that info. The search function on OC.net are not the best.

Prime X370 socket back

View attachment 193734

Disregard bottom image of C6H socket back.

Sorry, I figured if anyone was going to know, it would be in this thread. I just want to make sure I'm not throwing too much juice at my CPU is all. Then i'll know how accurate the software reading is, and how much room I have to play with. I'm gonna try for 4.0Ghz, but I'm perfectly happy with 3.9Ghz. Just want to see if this chip will do 4.0.

Several testers have measured at the socket back with digital multimeter

Sorry, I figured if anyone was going to know, it would be in this thread. I just want to make sure I'm not throwing too much juice at my CPU is all. Then i'll know how accurate the software reading is, and how much room I have to play with. I'm gonna try for 4.0Ghz, but I'm perfectly happy with 3.9Ghz. Just want to see if this chip will do 4.0.

Several testers in the threads I have linked have tested the voltages at the socket back with digital multimeters at Auto > LLC1- LLC5 under load and produced charts of the measured voltages versus what is set in the BIOS as Vcore. LLC5 produces SVI2 TFN CPU Core Voltage at the socket equal to what is set in BIOS.
Again Lermite to the rescue:
LLC levels vs BIOS settings chart

Unfortunately, this thread mostly petered out till you showed up. The early posters were mainly just interested in benching the Ryzen for max clocks and then sold off the systems they built and moved on to the next big thing platform. Not many are actually interested in using Ryzen as their day to day computing platform. Most of the technical knowledge is over in the Overclock.net Ryzen threads. They are 100X more active than here.

I'll write more in the next day or so, but I'm still benching on my 1700. I'm not feeling a desire to use it as a main system, but that is a positive as I'm now doing silly OC things I wouldn't do on a main system. Currently got GPUPI 1B down to 3m07s at 4075 and I haven't hit the wall yet! It can't be far off and my first hwbot submission isn't far off.

Looking forward to your results. I started this thread mainly to find the technical knowledge that would allow me to build a stable and higher performance BOINC system. My computers do work all day, every day. I am not interested in submitting any result to hwbot or anything. Just want a stable, set and forget cruncher that may not be running at the fastest speeds possible just for one benchmark submission.

I have an interest in many areas, and distributed computing is one of them too. It still isn't cool enough for me to fire up my farm, but why not have some fun on the hardware until then? :)

I've been finding set and forget cruncher stability to be more challenging over time, with some light OC systems I thought were stable no longer being so (may crash one every several days/weeks). Not had time to revisit though and just took the lazy option of removing OC. They were never heavily OC anyway as power optimisation becomes more important than all out performance.

Unfortunately, this thread mostly petered out till you showed up. The early posters were mainly just interested in benching the Ryzen for max clocks and then sold off the systems they built and moved on to the next big thing platform. Not many are actually interested in using Ryzen as their day to day computing platform. Most of the technical knowledge is over in the Overclock.net Ryzen threads. They are 100X more active than here.

I see. Well, I've found out quite a bit thanks to you and Johan. I'll have to check out those forums as well. I do use this as my everyday machine. I don't know why people wouldn't. I guess because overclocking isn't as nice of a thing with Ryzen. That's not my main purpose. I use this as a gaming, streaming, and video rendering machine. It's perfect for what I do. Sure, it's not a higher overclocker as an Intel, but this is a new platform, and I look forward to what AMD does with Ryzen 2. I've never been much of a fan of Intel, from their dirty business practices that almost wiped out AMD, to their way of holding CPU progress for years until AMD finally came out with Ryzen.

I've never owned an Intel system, and I never will. My personal preference. I know this isn't the best CPU on the market, but I can't afford the best anyways. This board + CPU is cheaper than just an i7 is by itself, and it's performance may not match in games, but it only needs to feed my GPU good enough to do 60 FPS, and I'm good with that.

I do like to tinker and figure things out, and Ryzen is a challenge to dial in. This is good. I'm learning a lot about this board and Ryzen, and I want to squeeze every ounce of performance I can out of my hardware. That's what I did with my Phenom II for years, and I plan on sticking with this platform for many years to come. I skipped the FX series, and waited. I'm not really a fanboy, but I can't support Intel.

Going back to what you said about people moving on, I don't get it, the platform is so new and more performance is being eeked out with better BIOS updates and memory support. Guess we'll be the benefactors, as I can't just sell off this stuff and jump on the new shiny every time something is released.

Three out of four crunchers are months long stable

I have an interest in many areas, and distributed computing is one of them too. It still isn't cool enough for me to fire up my farm, but why not have some fun on the hardware until then? :)

I've been finding set and forget cruncher stability to be more challenging over time, with some light OC systems I thought were stable no longer being so (may crash one every several days/weeks). Not had time to revisit though and just took the lazy option of removing OC. They were never heavily OC anyway as power optimisation becomes more important than all out performance.

Basically, 3 of 4 crunches are months long stable. The FX systems never have issues. The new linux cruncher is similarly trending that way but is only a couple months old now. The Ryzen system is the one I have the most trouble with and it basically comes down to problems with Windows 10 Home and it wanting to reboot the machine on its own terms and not my own. With 20/20 hindsight now, I would have been much smarter to have installed Professional with its enhanced management and policy configurations. The new linux cruncher is my first foray into Linux and it keeps impressing me. The Win 10 machine may be headed in that direction in the future.:chair:

I see. Well, I've found out quite a bit thanks to you and Johan. I'll have to check out those forums as well. I do use this as my everyday machine. I don't know why people wouldn't. I guess because overclocking isn't as nice of a thing with Ryzen. That's not my main purpose. I use this as a gaming, streaming, and video rendering machine. It's perfect for what I do. Sure, it's not a higher overclocker as an Intel, but this is a new platform, and I look forward to what AMD does with Ryzen 2. I've never been much of a fan of Intel, from their dirty business practices that almost wiped out AMD, to their way of holding CPU progress for years until AMD finally came out with Ryzen.

I've never owned an Intel system, and I never will. My personal preference. I know this isn't the best CPU on the market, but I can't afford the best anyways. This board + CPU is cheaper than just an i7 is by itself, and it's performance may not match in games, but it only needs to feed my GPU good enough to do 60 FPS, and I'm good with that.

I do like to tinker and figure things out, and Ryzen is a challenge to dial in. This is good. I'm learning a lot about this board and Ryzen, and I want to squeeze every ounce of performance I can out of my hardware. That's what I did with my Phenom II for years, and I plan on sticking with this platform for many years to come. I skipped the FX series, and waited. I'm not really a fanboy, but I can't support Intel.

Going back to what you said about people moving on, I don't get it, the platform is so new and more performance is being eeked out with better BIOS updates and memory support. Guess we'll be the benefactors, as I can't just sell off this stuff and jump on the new shiny every time something is released.

Pretty much the same viewpoint as I. I was on the bleeding edge of computer technology with Intel up through 486. But I finally got disgusted with the $1000 processors and gave the Nexgen 586 a try because it had 3/4 the performance at 1/3 the cost. That led me onto AMD and I have never looked back at Intel.

The problem with this website is its genesis seems to have been solely an overclocking and benching site. Once the OC'ers found out that Ryzen has a ceiling of 4 Ghz, then they lost interest because Intel was giving them 5 Ghz systems and something to brag about and post scores to the benching sites. Most don't even consider the multi-thread performance a plus for Ryzen, they are just interested in single thread performance and high IPC for gaming.

basically comes down to problems with Windows 10 Home and it wanting to reboot the machine on its own terms and not my own.

Go into services, find the Windows Update service, stop and disable it. No more reboots. It prevents updates from working, also maybe windows store or other updates. I just manually enable it once a month after the 2nd Tuesday which is the major patch day, let it grab updates, reboot, then turn that off again until next time. You might also miss out of cycle updates this way, and the MS anti-virus updates. If dedicated cruncher, you might even go longer between updates. I hardly bother updating my Win7 crunchers now.

Pretty much the same viewpoint as I. I was on the bleeding edge of computer technology with Intel up through 486. But I finally got disgusted with the $1000 processors and gave the Nexgen 586 a try because it had 3/4 the performance at 1/3 the cost. That led me onto AMD and I have never looked back at Intel.

The problem with this website is its genesis seems to have been solely an overclocking and benching site. Once the OC'ers found out that Ryzen has a ceiling of 4 Ghz, then they lost interest because Intel was giving them 5 Ghz systems and something to brag about and post scores to the benching sites. Most don't even consider the multi-thread performance a plus for Ryzen, they are just interested in single thread performance and high IPC for gaming.

Yeah, I don't care about benchmarks or bragging rights. That's all up to a decent bit of luck with what CPU you get anyways. How lucky you are with the lottery. I just want a stable platform that'll allow me to do the things I want, and Ryzen is better than Intel for what I do with my PC. I couldn't stream the way I do with an i5, it would have serious issues trying to do 720p 60FPS while gaming. With this CPU, I have the 2 extra cores, and all those threads, it doesn't even impact my in-game performance and handles streaming with ease. Video editing is also very fast.

Now that Intel is going more multi-core with Coffee Lake, the gaming industry is going to have to embrace multi-threaded optimizations more so than it did in the past. Hopefully, this change will bode well for Ryzen, and hopefully we'll see DX12 and Vulkan utilized more, as I see good gains from both API's. DX11 might of well just said, 'optimized for Intel', since AMD had nothing to compete with for so long.

As long as AMD can stay competitive, the software is going to have to optimize more and more for AMD hardware, because the competition is good for the consumer, and makes Intel have to work at it again pushing ahead, and gives AMD just that bit more incentive to try and top Intel. Hard work for sure, considering the lack of R&D AMD has at their disposal, but they have to succeed, or we are just stuck with whatever Intel wants to sell us, and at whatever price. That's just not good for anyone but Intel and their stock holders.

Since AMD also upped IPC close to Intel, lazy programmers may not see any need to change to a more multi-threaded software model.

Since AMD also upped IPC close to Intel, lazy programmers may not see any need to change to a more multi-threaded software model.

I suppose they wouldn't have to, but at some point consumers are going to demand it. With the HEDT segment getting their hands on 16 and 18 core CPU's it's gonna have to happen at some point. The mainstream segment is about to get 6 cores from Intel, and with Ryzen already offering 8 core CPUs, I don't see how long the software people could flounder about.

Prime X370 socket back

View attachment 193734

Using that guide, I was able to check voltage today, and I was getting a reading of 1.51 to 1.53 under load, and about 0.93 to 1.0 while idling. I'm guessing that's bad? SV12 TFN on HWInfo is reporing 1.397 to 1.4 volts while VDDCR CPU is reporting closer to 1.5v. Now I'm worried I've been giving way too much voltage to the CPU while checking stability.

Also using 0.16 offset with LLC 4 and Extreme VRM for the CPU. I have the SOC set to 1.0 volt with Extreme VRM and LLC 3. I set the RAM back to 2400 DOCP settings because I was having instability again, and I wanted to make sure the CPU was not the cause while I was attempting to get the RAM stable at 2933Mhz. I'm doing ok on temps, hitting 74C while IBT is going full blast, but that voltage reading from the back of the board has me concerned.

EDIT: While I was thinking about it, I tested the SOC, it was reading 1.11 to 1.12 under load, while manually set to 1.0v in the BIOS.

Sorry for multiple edits, but I reset to defaults, and turned 2400 DOCP on, left everything else default. I'm getting 1.03 volts SOC and 1.27 to 1.28 volts on the CPU with the multi-meter. HWInfo is reporting some odd numbers:
Image1.jpg

Not sure what to make of that 1.3+ volts reading on the SV12 TFN sensor... that was AFTER I ran a 'high' settings IBT. The VDDCR CPU says 1.373v peak, but I know that wasn't accurate. The SV12 TFN during stress test was saying 1.1+ volts and while idling it's now saying 1.3+ volts.

So this looks to be about a 7% discrepancy on the CPU readout, and about 11% to 13% on the SOC readout if my math is right.

Last edited:
I suppose they wouldn't have to, but at some point consumers are going to demand it. With the HEDT segment getting their hands on 16 and 18 core CPU's it's gonna have to happen at some point. The mainstream segment is about to get 6 cores from Intel, and with Ryzen already offering 8 core CPUs, I don't see how long the software people could flounder about.

I worked on a program where they floundered about for 20 years. Consumers don't need all those cores/threads and HEDT is a niche market. Ever since Bulldozer, the AMD'ers dream has been that multi-threading was going to suddenly be adopted immediately everywhere. It will happen, just not anytime soon.

I worked on a program where they floundered about for 20 years. Consumers don't need all those cores/threads and HEDT is a niche market. Ever since Bulldozer, the AMD'ers dream has been that multi-threading was going to suddenly be adopted immediately everywhere. It will happen, just not anytime soon.

Well, I think if Bulldozer had been good, it might of made a difference sooner. I think in the next 2 or 3 years it'll happen. Only because Intel is pushing more cores and threads now, not because AMD did. AMD pushing more cores, competitively, prompted Intel to push the market with more cores.

I know programming is more difficult when it comes to multiple threads, but it's going to have to happen with the hardware going that direction. Intel isn't going to be able to push as high on the frequencies as they used too with higher core counts, so single threaded performance is going to suffer a bit because of it. Unless they are able to make up for it in IPC gains. We'll just have to see.

Yes, the HEDT is a niche market, but they spend a lot of money for whatever reasons to own that hardware. I would think after some time, they might wonder why they did it, if the programs don't keep up. I'd like to own a Threadripper, just because we know those are the top 5% of the chips in quality. Not that it's going to make gaming any better for me, but it would make video rendering and streaming a piece of cake. Do I really need it, no. I don't think some of the people who buy HEDT systems really need that much power either.

Who knows where things will go, so we'll just have to see.

Any luck with increasing your memory clocks or better stability?

Ok, so I took my CPU OC back down to 3.8 Ghz. I don't think the RAM wanted to play nicely with 3.9Ghz, and the voltages were getting crazy. And after checking them manually at the back of the board with my multi-meter, I was reading 1.5v at the capacitor. I dunno if that's before vdroop kicks in, but I didn't like those numbers, so I backed down to CPU offset of 0.10000 with LLC 3 with extreme VRM, which gives me a voltage of 1.337. Although while under load my multi-meter says I'm still showing 1.41 to 1.43 volts. I'm ok with those volts since it's under 1.45.

Now the RAM, I have it at 1.38 volts, with 16-18-18-36 @ 2933Mhz. I'm not trying to increase the speed of the RAM, so much as just get the speed higher for that Infinity Fabric through-put. I ran a memtest overnight, 12 instances, as suggested on the memory thread for stability. I did do some manual tweaking of the subtimings, just kind of did some guess work on that. Seems I did ok with that. I have some screens of the timings and the memtest results.

EDIT: I also had SOC set to 1.0v manually with LLC 3 and optimized VRM settings.

Image1.jpg
Image2.jpg

Back