• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Any experience of 8 fast modules on X299?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

mackerel

Still looking in at cashing out some crypto, and one option is to have a 64GB ram system. No particular need, but it will go in the never ending ultimate gaming system build and that should be enough to cache the game files (around 32GB and growing) and I don't have to worry about SSD speeds if I pre-cache.

Anyway, it would be for my X299 Tuf mk2 with 7800X in it. I'm looking at a Corsair 8x8GB RGB kit below (they take Bitcoin). 3000 15-17-17-17. Note I think I'd prefer 8x8 over 4x16 just to fill out the slots for visual appearance.

https://www.scan.co.uk/products/64g...on-ecc-unbuffered-cas-15-17-17-35-rgb-led-xmp

This seems to be the least silly priced option I could go for. At only 2 modules a channel I'm hoping the load isn't too bad, and I might get 2 rank per channel boost from it too. Haven't checked mobo QVL for whatever that's worth. I think I prefer the looks of TridentZ RGB but they don't stock it, and I don't want to pay cash.

I believe there is less stress on the IMC with less sticks, but, could be wrong on that one (oh Woomaaaaaack, LOL!).

That said, I would imagine 64GB of DDR4 3000 will be fine. Im running 4 sticks (4x8) at 3600 MHz (stock/XMP).

There are kits tested at ~4000 in 8x8GB configuration so I guess it will work if modules are on good IC. Corsair is using everything so hard to say what is under the heatsinks.
I had some issues at higher frequency using 8 modules. I was able to set ~3466 but nothing more. It was with mixed kits so maybe that's why.

I'm not looking to buy high rated speeds, or overclock to beyond rated. It was more, what are the chances of a 3000 rated kit working at such? Even on Z170 I found it less than 100%...

I'm just saying that with Corsair you never know. It should run at 3000 but isn't guaranteed how high will OC.
I will probably buy something when I mine enough too. Check caseking.de. They have option to pay with BTC and ship to other countries in quite reasonable prices. I can't find 8x8GB kits from G.Skill for Intel. You may think about 2 kits of 4x8GB.
https://www.caseking.de/en/pc-compo...ers=1812-2949&ckSuppliers=232&ckTab=0&sSort=2

I would not be concerned about SATA SSD speeds restricting game loading to memory.

Last edited:
You're a bit late to post that vid, I already bought Optane 900p months ago. I'm just looking for that last 0.00001% in loading time, because I can, not because I need to.

I'm re-evaluating my options anyway, I might go for a new even more overkill system instead.

Back