• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Any idea of what temps are normal for Haswell?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

hall1k

Registered
Okay, so I got a brand new i7-4770K to replace my old i5-2500k, along with a GTX 660 Ti and an Asrock Z87 Pro3 mobo (I know, cheaped out a bit here). Anyway, with my Scythe Mugen 3 heatsink I was originally getting ridiculously high temps - around 55C idle and 99+C load. Reseated it properly (after drilling out the backplate because one of Asrock's mounting holes was almost 3mm from where it should have been...), and my temps came down to about 35C idle and 65C load at stock speeds. Setting the turbo to 4GHz brings it up to about 45C idle and 90C load!

I know Haswell was expected to run pretty hot, but I thought the Mugen was one of the biggest heatsinks around? My info could be a bit dated, though -- I haven't shopped for one since I bought into Sandy Bridge. Should I try reseating it again? I'm reluctant to do so because its really tricky with just one person, and I've wasted a lot of AS5 already. Plus, there's always the chance that I'll just make it worse.

Biggest /= better/best!

Id say that is WAY warm for the clockspeeds. What is your ambient temperature? Helps to know that before anyone can make an educated guess really.

Wow... Okay then lol. I guess we were spoiled quite a bit with SB. Will running at 80-90C for long periods of time hurt the chip? I'm doing some pretty intensive scientific computation that has to run 24/7 for weeks at a time, so the extra 500mhz I can currently get out of it make a big difference in runtime.

I'm already seeing great improvements in processing speed, not only because of HyperThreading, but also because I have the source code for most of my algorithms ad so I've been able to recompile with AVX2 compiler intrinsics (though they're not quite as good as adding AVX2 support manually).

@ 4.3ghz i have mid 60s load temp on my 4770k at 1.215vcore. ( didnt tweaked anything yet, quick OC ).

Gigabyte Z87X-OC • 4770k • Phantek PH-TC14PE

Biggest /= better/best!

Id say that is WAY warm for the clockspeeds. What is your ambient temperature? Helps to know that before anyone can make an educated guess really.

About 22-25C, but its hard to say. One thing is that the air here is VERY dry, so it may be less able to absorb and carry away heat. I don't know how much of an effect that might have, though.

Case temps are around high 20's. I have one hard drive, an Antec Nine Hundred case with the stock fan setup (1x 120mm exhaust at rear, 2x 120mm intake in front grille, and 1x 200mm intake at the top (I forget if its intake or exhaust, but its stock)). I have 1x 120mm stock Scythe fan pulling air into the heatsink towards the rear exhaust. The 200mm fan is currently busted, though, because I clipped the black wire by mistake when trying to cut off a zip tie. That will be fixed soon.

The graphics card is a Gigabyte Windforce GTX 660Ti 2GB at stock-ish speeds. The 620w Seasonic PSU is at the bottom of the case and exhausts outwards.

Edit: I also have another 120mm case fan laying around that I could put on the other side of the Mugen 3 for a push-pull setup, but there would only be maybe 1/4" of space between it and the rear exhaust fan, and they wouldn't be lined up laterally, so I'm think that would just create turbulence.

@ 4.3ghz i have mid 60s load temp on my 4770k at 1.215vcore. ( didnt tweaked anything yet, quick OC ).

Gigabyte Z87X-OC • 4770k • Phantek PH-TC14PE

You also seem to have a lot more powerful cooler than mine. At this point I'm trying to figure out if my Mugen 3 just isn't cutting it, in which case I can go ahead and get something else (its a PITA to work with anyway), or if its something else entirely.

Hmm... for some reason now, my temps at 4GHz are down to 70C on average...

Back