• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Anyone Gone From a P4 to a A64? OR AMD or Intel: The Age Old Question

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Ender17

Registered
If so, did you notice a difference in multitasking ability due to the lack of hyperthreading? I'm thinking of upgrading soon, but haven't decided what chip to get.

I noticed this article at AnandTech which shows the P4 winning in most of the multitasking benchmarks.

However, I think smoothness is a difficult thing to benchmark. I don't do heavy multitasking, but I do like to have several things running, especially since I have dual displays.

For example, I usually have half a dozen browser windows open, music playing, and I may be ripping/burning a movie in the background. And of course my AV program running in the background as well. If I'm doing something like gaming, it's usually the only thing running, cause you can't really switch back and forth.

So if you've recently changed systems from a P4 with HT to a A64, what changes did you notice, what do you use the computer for, what type of multitasking do you do, and how big of a speed jump did you make (i.e. 2.8c to 3200+)?

Here are my 3 options in order of how I'm currently leaning.

1) DFI 875P-T board, current BH-5 ram, 3.4 or 3.6 (I have both) and try for 4GHz OC with XP-120 and eventually H20

2) DFI LANParty UT nF4 Ultra-D, current BH-5 ram, 3500+ and go for 4000+ OC with XP-120, maybe H20, but I don't know if A64s will scale as well as the P4

3) Keep my IC7-G and sell my 2.8C that doesn't OC well and my BH-5 which requires more voltage then the crappy 2.7v this board puts out, and get a 3.2C or E and some TCCD

Some of the Pros/Cons I'm considering:

1) Pros: Can keep current video card (not a big deal since the PCI-E version of my card is cheaper), has HT, coolness of 4GHz, already have the CPUs and mounting bracket for my XP-120
1) Cons: Will have to upgrade the board when dual core chips come out, must buy new PSU

2) Pros: Will be ready when dual core chips come out, ready for PCI-E cards (X800XL), has 8 SATA slots, can even use SLI if desired
2) Cons: BIG ONE - NO HT, and for what I use the computer for, not having it would suck until the new chips came out, must buy new PSU

3) Pros: Can keep current PSU and video card, cheapest overall
3) Cons: has no upgrade path at all, least fun, will have to sell off LGA chips I already have and hope to find a Socket 478 chip (which are hotter) that OCs well

Ideas, suggestions? I'm really leaning towards the P4, because I think it would be the most fun trying to OC and I think a 4GHz machine running at 1000FSB with 1GB of BH-5 at 2-2-2-5 would be as smooth as butter.

Back