• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Anyone kjnow the difference between RAM sticks?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Myplane150

Hi all, this is my first thread and I am fairly new to overclocking. While researching my hardware, I noticed that the G-Skill DDR3 2133 memory that I bought, two separate times, are different in name. Both were purchased as 2x4GB sets. My question is, what is the difference between fx-17000cl11-4gbxl and fx-2133c9-4gxl. Are these just lot numbers or do the sticks have different settings and thus different performance? Is the best install as slot 1-3 and 2-4? Again, I have 2 of each for a total of 16GB. Thanks

Timings are different for sure, I would match settings to the slower kit.
Put the pairs of sticks in the same color slots.

Crap, so there is a difference in speed. Is this in the timings? If I set the timings to be the same for all 4 sticks, will they perform equally?

Motherboards usually read settings from 1st memory slots and then use it for all memory sticks. So if you put "slower" kit in 1/3 slots then "faster" will boot at the same settings. It doesn't change fact that you can adjust all manually later.
There is high chance you can run both kits at the settings of "faster" kit. All depends from used memory chips. Anyway you have to try to find out. I don't think that anyone will answer to the question if it's going to run stable at tighter timings without actual tests.

Back