• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Anyone read about AMD's future APU's

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
They are going to 28nm bulk process but trinity was designed on 32nm. This is the last series of chips designed on the SOI process. Since all their GPU products are already on 28nm bulk it should be easy enough to get a drop in replacement gen 3 APU onto FM2(assuming that they expanded the platform sufficiently). As I mentioned hopefully the non exclusivity agreement will push them to get on 28nm pronto!

Oh and that report was posted just over 3 hours ago.

Hmmmm, I'm now wondering whether I should wait for them to move to their bulk process. This is a downer, I may now be waiting far longer than I expected. Moving to Bulk should allow them to properly fuse the two chips together for better performance. ;)

Its not like the 8120 is a shy chip by any measure. Trinity is only going to be sporting 2 cpu modules out of the gate(guessing die space / TDP) which is half what your already sporting. I think once they hit 28nm is when the APU game really begins. PS4 using an undisclosed hex core APU so..... Im guessing that is what GF is working on in the 28nm for them ATM but once the tech is ready for mass production the will be able to offload some work to TGSM(I think this is the right abbreviation).

Hmmmmm...... They're spreading it out too much. They're going to make me upgrade for every generation. I'll just bet the successor to PD won't use AM3+ :(

(go Intel its better for Gaming)

Hasn't been true in a long time. so doubt to see any new tech that makes people believe otherwise.

To quote our favorite mental insufficient.

Stupid is as stupid does.

Intel is great for dx7 based games/benchmarks.. we dont run them anymore...hell even flash is dx10

Hmmmm, that doesn't really sound like something Frakk would say...... He's about as pro AMD as I am..... Course, he IS British, though I won't hold that against him ;)

Hmmmmm...... They're spreading it out too much. They're going to make me upgrade for every generation. I'll just bet the successor to PD won't use AM3+ :(

TBH I'm suprized that PD is going to hit AM3+ initially it was supposed to also be FM2 architecture. I think the power issues/reputation that BD has forced their hand to win favor with the am3+ adopters. I whole heartedly expect and hope that the generation after PD is on a whole new platform. DDR4 5-6 modules with similar TDP to current chips.

TBH I'm suprized that PD is going to hit AM3+ initially it was supposed to also be FM2 architecture. I think the power issues/reputation that BD has forced their hand to win favor with the am3+ adopters. I whole heartedly expect and hope that the generation after PD is on a whole new platform. DDR4 5-6 modules with similar TDP to current chips.

Agreed, besides, they HAVE to go to a new socket to adopt DDR4. Likewise, they really need to up the number of channels. Intel's really killing them with their quad memory controller these days. :-/

Lucky the benches don't support it well..... Well, maybe. I never saw a massive difference between running single and dual channel. :shrug:

Even if more channels makes bugger all difference in actual real world performance, the marketing is enough to pick up less knowledgeable punters.

Hasn't been true in a long time. so doubt to see any new tech that makes people believe otherwise.

To quote our favorite mental insufficient.

Stupid is as stupid does.

Intel is great for dx7 based games/benchmarks.. we dont run them anymore...hell even flash is dx10

Do you know what? i don't even know any more :rain:

I am Pro AMD, but when someone asks something like that and its there hard earned cash i will point them in the right direction even if it does mean i will be shot a dawn for defection.
True or not there are very few, if any benchmarks which show the FX as good if not better for gaming.

No matter, PileDriver is coming, and looks to stick a thorn in Intel's side.

@ mjw21a, its ok, i wont hold you living in a penal colony against you :p
Oh, BTW i love your quote. :thup:

Last edited:
Do you know what? i don't even know any more :rain:

I am Pro AMD, but when someone asks something like that and its there hard earned cash i will point them in the right direction even if it does mean i will be shot a dawn for defection.
True or not there are very few, if any benchmarks which show the FX as good if not better for gaming.

No matter, PileDriver is coming, and looks to stick a thorn in Intel's side.

@ mjw21a, its ok, i wont hold you living in a penal colony against you either :p

Lol, I know this dude. I was simply saying that you like AMD the same as I do, however in many cases we can't help but recommend the 2500K to people these days.

Lol, yeah. I had that one coming, I have to think of a comeback now :p Still fun to have a bit of a digg though ;)

Only if PD can ramp up enough. It looks like IB is getting a similar IPC boost form what I've been reading, however it looks like it won't be able to ramp as well as SB due to heat issues. If PD can ramp well enoufh on air it should be competitive for 12 months or so. ;)

Lol, I know this dude. I was simply saying that you like AMD the same as I do, however in many cases we can't help but recommend the 2500K to people these days.

Lol, yeah. I had that one coming, I have to think of a comeback now :p Still fun to have a bit of a digg though ;)

Only if PD can ramp up enough. It looks like IB is getting a similar IPC boost form what I've been reading, however it looks like it won't be able to ramp as well as SB due to heat issues. If PD can ramp well enoufh on air it should be competitive for 12 months or so. ;)

Its always good to have someone with a sense of humour around for some banter...

Anyway if you look here you can see there is an improvement across the board

http://www.tweaktown.com/articles/4..._ud5h_intel_z77_and_core_i7_3770k/index1.html

The thing is its just a few %

Trinity is 10 - 15 - 20% IPC over BD

Add the 20 / 30% clock speed increase PD vs BD on top of that.....

Well... settle down Frakk, both Ivy Bridge and Piledriver have not been fully tested yet.

I'm eager for that to get going, i think many may be surprised.

Last edited:
I'm just hoping for performance parity. That would be the closest AMD have been in years. Then they can build on that.

Personally I think its good the old k7 architecture is finally gone. It had evolved as far as it could. Now we can watch BD evolve.

I'm just hoping for performance parity. That would be the closest AMD have been in years. Then they can build on that.

Personally I think its good the old k7 architecture is finally gone. It had evolved as far as it could. Now we can watch BD evolve.

Yes, And i have a felling 2012 / 2013 up to 2015 are going to be much better years for AMD since Sandy edged out Thuban, and its about time.

I'm optimistic for the first time since then.

Yes, And i have a felling 2012 / 2013 up to 2015 are going to be much better years for AMD since Sandy edged out Thuban, and its about time.

I'm optimistic for the first time since then.

Lets hope the don't keep using BD until its long in the tooth like the poor old K7 architecture.

As long as its competitive and keeps improving with each generation i don't actually care how old the design is, I would not have bought this one as late as the end of 2011 if i did :)

With the finances AMD have i don't expect them to be replacing Silicon with Graphene any time soon, having said that AMD do usually lead the way in innovation, at-least we can say that about them.

I Have to say tho, what i don't want is for it to start performing to well.

Remember the price BD was released at?

Its not long since been brought down to a sensible level, £145 for an FX-8120, this is vs £170 for a 2500K, IMO that makes it a good buy, not that i would, i paid less than that for my Thuban, spot the contradiction :D

I don't want to pay a premium so i can be a proud member of the [mostly pointless obsolete x86 bench w#ores elite association] no thanks to that :)

Hmmm, that would have just been to take advantage of the early adopters. AMD actually needs to be ahead for 2 years or so to recover their finances a bit else they won't be around to compete forever. Intel have enough $ to always catch up again and pull ahead sooner or later. It's when they stumble (like they appear to e doing with IB) that AMD catches up. The question is for how long.

As for graphene, thats not an expense AMD has to worry about, it's their manufacturing partners who get to cover that cost. If that's the direction the industry is going, TSMC and Global Foundries will have to go down that path or be left behind.

I still don't think AMD is competitive to the non overclocker. It's really the FX-8150 thats competitive with the 2500K if not overclocked, and it really comes out with Intel being better value..... To tell the truth, when overclocked the 2500K comes out better too...... It's only us diehard AMD guys that have stuck with AMD this long even though there's no longer a financial incentive to do so..... Unless you overclock.....

AMD needs to be able to charge current Intel pricing for a while, the prices they used to compete at in the K6-2/K6-3 era sinply isn't sustainable. I can still remember these things selling for $55. The good old Cyrix MIII was selling for $30 a pop..... Funny, but you can't build a budget system like you could back then. Atom and equiv AMD systems end up costing about the same as their low end mainstream board + chip..... Too much money.

Back