• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Anyone read about AMD's future APU's

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
^^^^ Not at all, you're forgetting just how horrible the cache performance is in Bulldozer. I suspect leaving out the L3 will barely effect performance. AMD architectures have traditionally not benefitted much by using more cache.

I think you're actually missing the big picture here, and that's the nature of the GPU built in. No longer a VLIW design but rather GCN which means its effectively vector based, making them far more suited to general compute tasks than anything nVidia currently have. Basically more types of tasks will get a boost form using the GPU due to its higher flexabillity. I'd still expect nVidia to be faster in some specific tasks though. GP Compute tasks will thrive on this architecture and run orders of magnitude above ANYTHING else out there. It's actually the straight Piledriver chips that are hobbled due to no integrated GCN based GPU.

Of course, its actually supercomputers where I expect these will get the greatest use. It'll be a few years before we'll see desktop apps that make use of this.

If they're successful enough then I can see lawsuits coming their way. It's anticompetitive practice really.

If there is one thing that is anti-competitive. It's the profit margins between AMD and Intel.

Don't take these numbers at face value, because it's been 4 months since I've heard them. AMD's profit last year was like 200 million? Then Intel's was like 3-5 billion? So many Intel fanboy's talk so much crap about AMD. When they don't realize how well AMD actually does on a tiny budget compared to Intel.

Lol, things are just cooling down over here in Australia. Nice and cool. Sumer was horrible, sweating my arse off during day time gaming sessions.

It tends to be the humidity kills you over here. The Brisbane river ensures that there's a lot of water in the air all the time, makes summer hell.

It tends to be the humidity kills you over here. The Brisbane river ensures that there's a lot of water in the air all the time, makes summer hell.

Oh I know... Humidity sucks. We don't always have humid summers, but when we do it makes it feel 1000x hotter than it is.

South Carolina is also quite humid. One of the few benefits of living in the sand ridden deserts, we'll get to 38C some days but the humidity is so low that evap cooling works great out here. Unfortunately the sand gets into EVERYTHING! I have to clean my fan filters every 2-3 weeks on me and the wifes main rigs.

humidity ? its 39% here and in coming months itll go upto 47%..ill be buying a 100cfm fan just to blow out the moisture from inside my cabinet. My jersey will be soaking and ill be shirtless sipping something kool while overclocking...

South Carolina is also quite humid..

Yeah it is. Although, we do have some dry spells sometimes. Like when we haven't had any rain for 4 months during the summer. No rain for 4 months, 37'C temps, and not a cloud in the sky. When our weather is like that, I'm surprised we aren't sitting in the middle of a desert either.

Edit: I'm not saying it isn't humid here. When the humidity does come... It has no mercy.

@ ssjwizard

buy an air blower
it will blast the dust out.
im gonna get me one in the coming weeks. its quintessential for everything.

i've had my heart broken too many times by amd. but i hope they do manage to make something equal to intel.

^^^ You're gettin too involved in it my friend. I love reading up on the new developments, and always I let everyone else buy the new tech before me. It leads to less disappointments. I ended up going Bulldozer a few months after all the press releases and I'm happy with it. The FX chips aren't bad, its just that people had their hopes up about it too much.

I never expected it to beat Intel. PD looks like it might turn things around a bit but not because of things AMD have done right, rather issues Intel appears to be having with heat on Ivy Bridge. Once they resolve this however I expect Intel to do really very well.

were forgetting the biggest practical picture here................
trinity is greater than bulldozer !
phenom II is better than bulldozer...
piledriver ???????
trinity has piledriver cores but no L3 cache ( as per my research). Heck ! it isnt even a CPU..... :cool::shock:.... and still its greater than bulldozer..

Taking note that modern compilers and programs have bulldozer patches for using 4M/8T.....
Even more they are run with programs and stuff designed mainly for Intel...

Piledriver with 4M/8T with 8MB L2 and 8MB L3 might just about turn out unanticipated but obvious in a good way.............. it might actually be a shocker......trinity doesn't stand a chance.

another thing benchmarks are a facade. There are some real world SQL benches out that show the BD outperforming i7 3930k....

Yes, looking at Trinity (with its PD cores and no L3) its looking quietly promising, PD's IPC performance looks like it might match Thuban, running much cooler, using less power with much higher Clocks.

I dare not speculate it to trade blows with IB, but its an intriguing silent thought.

We're going to have to wait for its release. I think PD's (financial) success is going to come down to whether Intel fail or succeed with IB.

http://www.xbitlabs.com/news/cpu/display/20120419172156_AMD_Begins_Volume_Manufacturing_of_A_Series_Trinity_APUs.html said:
We are successfully ramping production of Trinity APUs as our customers are preparing to launch a record number of AMD notebook designs beginning this quarter," said Rory Read, chief executive officer of AMD

AMD’s second-generation code-named Trinity APU for mainstream personal computers (Comal for notebooks and Virgo for desktops) will be made using 32nm SOI HKMG process technology at Globalfoundries. The APU will feature up to four x86 cores powered by enhanced Bulldozer/Piledriver architecture, AMD Radeon HD 7000-series "Southern Islands" graphics core with DirectX 11-class graphics support, DDR3 memory controller and other improvements. The chips will be compatible with new infrastructure.

YAY! new stuff coming down the pike soon enough. Mobile rumored for may 15 and an assumed mid june desktop launch. Its certainly inconvient to need a new socket, but its about time that AMD decided to invoncience people to get their chips to reach max improvements. Hopefully the non exclusivity contract they signed with GF for 28nm parts means that they will be pushing to get on 28nm much sooner rather than later.

How old is that report dude? I thought they were transitioning to 28nm BULK? SOI effectively ties their production to Global Foundries or IBM.

Back