• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Anyone read about AMD's future APU's

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
they dont have to sell it to people they need to sell it to software vendors. If the software caters to the design then it will default run faster on an apu than a cpu so people will find out that way.

Big difference between the two. Sandy bridge has great x86 performance and crappy GPU performance, Llano has crappy x86 performace (compared to Sandy bridge) and excellent GPU performance. I tend to believe that if you're going for integrated GPU, the GPU performance would be more important than x86 so AMD's hit the right balance there.

Still, I don't really care about Llano or Sandy Bridge. It's AMD's next generation of APU's that will be interesting. I'm not referring to Trinity as next gen, because as I understand that just the same GPU tech except with Bulldozer cores for the x86 component. It's the following generation detailed on the link in my original post thats likely to change the market as we know it.

AMD = Same Chip GPU/CPU

Intel = 2 Separate Chips

No, Lynnfield had the cpu/gpu in the same package but on different dyes, sandy bridge has both the gpu and cpu on the same dye.

Just do a google search for Sandy Bridge architecture and you'll see.

No, Lynnfield had the cpu/gpu in the same package but on different dyes, sandy bridge has both the gpu and cpu on the same dye.

Just do a google search for Sandy Bridge architecture and you'll see.

The CPU and GPU is not on the same Die. Sandy Bridge is 2 separate dies.

The CPU and GPU is not on the same Die. Sandy Bridge is 2 separate dies.

You are talking out of you ***. Check this: http://www.geeks3d.com/20110103/intel-sandy-bridge-processors-cpugpu-launched/

1 – Intel Sandy Bridge Overview

Sandy Bridge is the new line of processors from Intel. It’s the second generation of Core i3/i5/i7 processors and is an evolution of the previous Nehalem architecture. Sandy Bridge integrates a multi-core CPU and a GPU on the same silicon die. The GPU part of Sandy Bridge comes in two flavors: Intel HD 2000 Graphics and Intel HD 3000 Graphics. Sandy Bridge Core i3/i5/i7 use a LGA 1155 sockect.

Now, the Clarkdale cpus (socket 1156) had both the cpu/gpu on the same package but different dies. See this: http://www.xbitlabs.com/articles/cpu/display/clarkdale-sneakpeek_2.html

BTW, maybe, next time you can make sure that what you are posting makes sense before posting it.

Last edited:
You are talking out of you ***. Check this: http://www.geeks3d.com/20110103/intel-sandy-bridge-processors-cpugpu-launched/

Now, the Clarkdale cpus (socket 1156) had both the cpu/gpu on the same package but different dies. See this: http://www.xbitlabs.com/articles/cpu/display/clarkdale-sneakpeek_2.html

If you see in the picture there are 4 cores and 1 graphic processor. And please don't curse, it's not polite.

BTW, maybe, next time you can make sure that what you are posting makes sense before posting it.

I know there are 4 cores and 1 gpu, but they are all on the same die. Do you know what you are talking about?

Look at this, this is amd fusion, with you logic amd's gpu is not on the same die as the cpu:

llano-1.jpg

http://realworldtech.com/page.cfm?ArticleID=RWT062711124854

Obviously its all on the same die -_-, but the Graphics and Cores are not all one integration like the AMD APUs are. If you are not understanding this, I am sorry for your lack of intelligence.

Whether one solution or the other is on the same die or not isn't really the point. The only thing that matters is the respective CPU and GPU performance of the package.

EDIT: Just remember, you can have a separate GPU component as a separate chip but on the same CPU package. Thats not the same thing as having everything on the same die. Intel did exactly the same thing with their Pentium D's back in the P4 era. 2x P4 chips on the same package, hence AMD trying to market their Athlon X2's as the only true dual core..... It doesn't really matter.

The bottom line remains that AMD is stong on GPU and weak on CPU, whereas Intel is strong on CPU and weak on GPU. End of story.

Whether one solution or the other is on the same die or not isn't really the point. The only thing that matters is the respective CPU and GPU performance of the package.

Sorry I just had to teach this kid some knowledge about APUs... I think bobcat is going to deliver better performance since the CPU and GPU are integrated within each other. Theoretically a 4.0GHz CPU is a 4.0GHz GPU...

Isn't the E series of atom equivalent processors based on the Bobcat architecture?

It's already great for netbooks etc, but I really can't see the point, the Llano APU's offer both good battery life and decent performance..... Before Llano based solutions came out, I'd haver considered the E series for a HTPC, not now though.

The E series can surprise you. I just built an E350 system for my dad a few weeks back and I was impressed with overall speed. Its no high end system by anymeans but it did everything I asked it to do is a reasonable fashion. Good thing to as I was a bit concerned about how the performance was going to be when I ordered it.

Sorry I just had to teach this kid some knowledge about APUs... I think bobcat is going to deliver better performance since the CPU and GPU are integrated within each other. Theoretically a 4.0GHz CPU is a 4.0GHz GPU...

First, I'm not a kid, far from that, and you didn't teach me anything.

I've often wondered how much more competitive. AMD would be if they ever caught up on process

AMD would probably still be where they are at. Even when Intel's Presshots were a lot worse off compared to AMD's Athlon 64, Intel still held onto I believe 75% of the market share. Intel controls a lot of the OEM computer manufacturers through various means. Intel doesn't want to kill AMD, but they definitely won't let them gain much ground.

Anyways, I thought Nvidia does know how to manufacture CPUs, just won't compete against Intel? Such as the Tegra 2 and I believe they also acquired a company that had the license to some of Intel's tech, which from my understanding is Intel paid Nvidia back.

AMD would probably still be where they are at. Even when Intel's Presshots were a lot worse off compared to AMD's Athlon 64, Intel still held onto I believe 75% of the market share. Intel controls a lot of the OEM computer manufacturers through various means. Intel doesn't want to kill AMD, but they definitely won't let them gain much ground.

Anyways, I thought Nvidia does know how to manufacture CPUs, just won't compete against Intel? Such as the Tegra 2 and I believe they also acquired a company that had the license to some of Intel's tech, which from my understanding is Intel paid Nvidia back.

You're forgetting that during that time frame Intel were pretty well paying large rebates to anyone who withheld from using AMD's CPU's. Intel has been fined in multiple countries for these anticompetitive practices and AMD was paid a few billion dollars in settlement for their lawsuit against just these practices. Intel now have agreements in place specifying that they won't repeat these practices. AMD are in a better position to benefit now than then, they just have to come up with a better product. ;)

Last edited:
I know this thread is essentially dead BUT seeing as there hasnt been much worth watching AMD wise in a few weeks I decided to run some searches.

AMD to launch trinity in Q1 2012
And this here indicates that the chips may just be ready for it.
AMD also featured previews of Trinity at a few conventions and other back ally preview in the last few months. Anand had a chance to preview it during IDF at a private location AMD setup.

While BD has initially come off as a disappointment to many recently I dont quite feel the same way. I think it is the first step down a long road to victory. Seeing what AMD did with llano and what we currently know about BD I truly feel that the APU is on the rise and the CPU is headed for historyville.... Im excited for the trinity launch, it takes the ideas the llano put down and rolls them up with the enhancements that BD made, but refined slightly, and brings a completely new product to market.

I am more interested in these CPUs than BD. I want to see what AMD does with BD 2.0. Aka Pile driver.

Back