• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Anything besides ourselfs

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Yes and no. They haven't found radio waves from other intelligent beings, but they have found radio waves from interesting phenomena such as pulsars and binary star systems.

Yes and no. They haven't found radio waves from other intelligent beings, but they have found radio waves from interesting phenomena such as pulsars and binary star systems.

And I really think that's one of the few reasons they are still around. How much funding would they get if they ignored that stuff and only looked for ET? Probably about as much as their findings.

There was the point source WOW signal recorded 1977.0815.2316 EDT by the Big Ear. No explanation so far and many things eliminated from consideration including local radio and satellites. Definitely not man-made but it could have been a one-time observation of some natural phenomena. :shrug:

And I really think that's one of the few reasons they are still around. How much funding would they get if they ignored that stuff and only looked for ET? Probably about as much as their findings.
Don't fool yourself, LOL. There would still be believers out there that would continue looking and donating. I do it because SETI funding has resulted in huge technical advancements in radio astronomy as well as making a lot of excellent discoveries, as noted, ...

... and because I'm a believer ...! ;)

Quiet, is your avatar a picture of the fountain at the park at the corner of North Oak and Vivion? Shot in the dark, considering how many fountains there are in this city, but it looks a lot like it.

Bullseye! :)

I surveyed the new hiking path up that way a few years ago and caught some great pics of the fountain. The best ones didn't show up so good once they were trimmed down to avatar size. I tried to catch one of the rainbows but it didn't show up in the pic. That's 4-5 days of growth around Christmas '04 ...

Back