• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

anything unique about psu fans?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

veryhumid

hello, i've got a pc power and cooling 510. it's got 1 fan on the back size 80x80x25. The fan itself says it draws .22A. I decided that I wanted a bigger fan on my PSU so I replaced it with a Tt smartfan set to go full blast. It is a .48A fan that claims 72.5CFM.

The nidec fan in there is 44 CFM

PCPC510atxpfc_fan.jpg

and i replaced it with one that is supposedly 72 CFM. I got an e-mail from the company in response to a question about fan upgrades saying it was not a good idea. The representative said that the fan in there was specially made to work with an integrated fan controller. And he's right, the power cable is not a standard 3-pin connector. So i just ran the cable for the fan out the back of the PS into the case.

But more flow is all that matters, right?

basic info about psu with pictures of insides
http://www.pcpowercooling.com/products/reviews/madshrimps/index.html

do you think this is helping, though? to replace the stock fan with a higher cfm one?

thanks for the response btw, i think i am going to try to keep it so at i can make it stock again if i need to.

it can help, as long as you dont have too much CFM in there that air cant flow decently anymore...

also becarefull that you dont kill the fan header in the PSU because the SFII draws a lot more power than the stock fan ;)

yeah, to be honest i don't think it flows that much better. It definitely feels more powerful, but there is so much stuff right where the fan is sucking I doubt it is moving air efficiently.

the fan header in the ps is a male end but it on has two pins and a unique connector so i just ran the cable out through the back and connected it to one of the ps leads ;)

I have always been under the impression that PCP&C units were very high quality.
Was there something wrong with the fan that it came with or is this just a case of "Bigger must be better"?
Have you a way to monitor any temps in the PSU to see how effective your "upgrade" was?

i have a a tornado as a blowhole and it sucks a lot of air back through the PS into the case. Unfortunately I don't have any temp sensors, or a 5 1/4" to put them ;) Looks like i should just play it safe and put the stocker back in.

Well, as long as you're in experimental mode you might try reversing the fan on the back of the PSU so it's an intake and letting the blowhole fan exhaust the heat.
See what happens.

Back