• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Anything wrong with RAM from HP?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Its registered ram. I don't think your board supports that? Typically registered ram are for servers or boards that support ECC/registered ram.

Desktop boards support ( in best case ) unbuffered ECC. Registered are only for servers.
It's nothing wrong with HP memory but lower capacity ECC Reg. memory is usually what left from servers or simply noone needs it so is hard to sell.
Right now DDR2 is just waste of money ( especially for servers ) so stores try to get rid of stock.

OTOH they're probably really good because each chip is marked with the full part number of the actual chip maker (Samsung), meaning they're prime quality chips and probably not overclocked like 95% of the other retail stuff.

OTOH they're probably really good because each chip is marked with the full part number of the actual chip maker (Samsung), meaning they're prime quality chips and probably not overclocked like 95% of the other retail stuff.
Here we go again...

Please, indulge me, what's the problem with overclocked memory?

He's been told by Hokie to stop pushing this agenda/point...

In a nutshell, he bas a problem with 1333/1600mhz ram being labeled as anything above that. Basically he was saying that what is labeled on the box is overclocking most ICs. While be may be right, it doesn't matter, period. If the xmp profile is 2133 and they happened to be 1600 sticks (info in cpuz) they are somehow inferior. The label is what they will do. I even asked the Kingston rep at CES in 2014 about this and he explained the binnin process and assured me that value is not relevant.

But he repeatedly posted this info again and again which tends only to confuse people. We asked him to stop bringing this up...

I do not want to continue this discussion in public. it needs to drop.

Which gets to what I was going to say. The ICs are binned for OCd RAM, like you said. They're then tested at the XMP rating they are assigned and known to be stable.
So as long as they're known to be stable by the manufacturer, I don't see why there could be a problem.

I guess this individual doesn't drive his car over the speed limit, because after all, that's the speed limit. The fact that the car may very well be able to run a speeds twice the speed limit, without damaging it whatsoever should not alter the opinion that the car should not be driven over the speed limit. After all...that's the speed limit, right?

I guess this individual doesn't drive his car over the speed limit, because after all, that's the speed limit. The fact that the car may very well be able to run a speeds twice the speed limit, without damaging it whatsoever should not alter the opinion that the car should not be driven over the speed limit. After all...that's the speed limit, right?

Speed.... limit? Does not compute.

Back